Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
Will i don't believe that the spreadsheet application will be that great ala Pages 1.0, it'll be a start and hopefully in a few years time it will be good ala Keynote (whatever version it is now, 3?). I will use the program with an open mind though, don't want to knock it before i've tried it (even though i quite clearly have done so)

monke

macrumors 65816
May 30, 2005
C'mon now.

There's absolutely no way new iPod's, iPod Nano's, iMac's, .Mac, and an entire iWork suite are all going to be announced the same day. :rolleyes:

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
No iPods tomorrow (possessive, contraction, or other otherwise). We have much better reason to expect iMacs and an upgrade to .Mac. The major iWork update seems like a real long-shot.

mrparet

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2006
C'mon now.

There's absolutely no way new iPod's, iPod Nano's, iMac's, .Mac, and an entire iWork suite are all going to be announced the same day. :rolleyes:

No one pays attention anymore do they? If you had been paying attention, you would have read that Apple stated this is a Mac ONLY event. They clearly said to the invitees that this event will not be iPhone or iPod related. So, the list becomes: iMac (almost certainly), updated .Mac (hopefully), and new iApps (I hope!).

That's manageable.

plumbingandtech

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2007
C'mon now.

Who said iPods could be released tomorrow?

Not apple. They already said it was a MAC ONLY event.

thesdx

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2007
C'mon now.

Tomorrow is a Mac-only event. They will have room for everything. Here's what I think they will announce:

• New iMacs
  • New iLife
  • New iWork
  • New .Mac
  • Something else (Sub-notebook?)
  • Announce the exact release date of Leopard

(This list isn't in any particular order)

XnavxeMiyyep

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2003
Washington
There is already a program called Tables that's pretty good and just plain pretty. Maybe Apple will buy their product and integrate it with the rest of iWork suite.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
What about Leopard? It seems like Apple would release iWork alongside Leopard, not 2 months before.

iToaster

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2007
In front of my MacBook Pro
An iWork update would be nice, especially Pages (I need to make a button). IMacs would be nice, though I prolly wouldn't buy one (need a laptop/portable). The return of the 12" would be great (might buy that eventually). And iPods are actually possible, if anyone remembers Steve saying they were working on iPods running OS X so it could technically be qualified as a Mac, it's a possibility (maybe a "one more thing..." deal).

Angsty

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
Well, if the presentation application of iWork is called "Keynote" and the word-processing application is called "Pages",

will the spreadsheet application be called "Columns"? :p

macintel4me

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2006
iWork, iPhone & .mac

I hoping that the spreadsheet, Pages and Keynote will have a .mac and iPhone counterpart. Much like google docs, but integrated with the Mac. Yeah, and an iPhone version instead of having Word and Excel on my phone.

Back in 2001, I never understood why Apple decided to push their own Web browser, Safari. Now it is clear. Apple wants to control all software platform levels so they can leverage that on "post-PC" devices. For example, Apple doesn't want to be in a position where it's dependent on Microsoft for coming out with Internet Explorer for the iPhone or something. This is true with iLife and Office (iWork) platforms too. Fun stuff is ahead!!

BlakTornado

Apr 24, 2007
Washington, OH
  • New iLife
  • New iWork

I don't think so. They seem more like they should be released WITH Leopard to take advantage of the new OS, rather than to use one that's about to be replaced soon (Tiger).

But I don't know... it just seems more likely to release iLife with Leopard considering that iLife is bundled with every new Mac...

boss1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2007
Why do I get the feeling that even though Apple stated this will be a Mac only event, people will somehow still find themselves upset tomorrow on the news of no new iPod / iPhone news. :rolleyes:

mambodancer

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2004
Denver
iLife

I don't think so. They seem more like they should be released WITH Leopard to take advantage of the new OS, rather than to use one that's about to be replaced soon (Tiger).

But I don't know... it just seems more likely to release iLife with Leopard considering that iLife is bundled with every new Mac...

It has already been mentioned in another thread elsewhere that iLife '08 went Golden. There has never been a version of iLife that has been released that required you to upgrade to a new OS if you were running the current OS X. For instance, iLife '06 was compatible with both 10.3.9 and 10.4.x. It did not require you to upgrade to 10.4. It is extremely unlikely that the next version of iLife would not be compatible with 10.4. There may be features that aren't implemented unless you are running 10.5 but Apples software has usually been at least one older OSX downward compatible. This would be a first if true IMO.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
It has already been mentioned in another thread elsewhere that iLife '08 went Golden. There has never been a version of iLife that has been released that required you to upgrade to a new OS if you were running the current OS X. For instance, iLife '06 was compatible with both 10.3.9 and 10.4.x. It did not require you to upgrade to 10.4. It is extremely unlikely that the next version of iLife would not be compatible with 10.4. There may be features that aren't implemented unless you are running 10.5 but Apples software has usually been at least one older OSX downward compatible. This would be a first if true IMO.
It's also not impossible that there's compatibility libraries for running any needed Leopard features in Tiger.

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR

To further the comments above, it also wouldn't make sense for Apple, purely from a marketing stand point, to have iLife and iWork require Leopard in order to work. How many of us are there that aren't going to get Leopard until we get a new Mac, and that would be telling us that we can't get iLife or iWork, either, in that case.

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
I doubt this will be Mac-only in the sense that only Macs will be discussed. The sales and financial bit has always been a part of Steve Jobs' presentations and it's likely he'll start off with a summary of sales and market share for iTunes, iPod, iPhone, :apple:TV, Pippin, etc.

As far as product announcements, that will be the Mac-only part. And that makes me very :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.