IWork '12 Update coming with ML release

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by BBuchanan, Jul 8, 2012.

1. BBuchanan macrumors newbie

Whats the chances of an update to iWork with the release of ML? thinking of buying a rMBP but can't justify it at the moment without either this or MS Office being updated to support retina as I use that a lot. Ta

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Slim. iWork is, for all practical purposes, abandonware.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm not ready to believe its abandonware (like how iWeb is abandonware) because apple is using iWorks for iCloud and has updated it for iOS. I'm hoping that apple will update it, but admittedly its been quite a while since they have upgraded it

4. Stuipdboy1000 macrumors 6502a

Stuipdboy1000

Pretty sure there will be an update when Mountain Lion comes out.

They need to add iCloud functionality (which is something they're pushing with ML), add retina graphics for the new MacBook Pro (iWork is one of the last main pieces of Apple software without retina graphics), and finally remove traces of iWork.com.

5. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

There's no indication that iWork has been abandoned. It's still been the focus of a number of the features in Mountain Lion and iCloud, and has received small updates from time to time. There simply hasn't been any major feature releases, probably mostly because the team involved has been working on the iOS version or on other projects, but I suspect an update at the same time or closely following Mountain Lion's release is likely. If not, they'll probably have a significant upgrade to follow later, once they're ready to release it. How often does Microsoft Office get updated, after all? Usually about every 3-4 years on the Mac, which is right in line with how long it's been for iWork right now. Just because they used to update more often doesn't mean they don't simply think it's matured and doesn't need more regular updates.

jW

6. cmdrmac macrumors regular

I don't necessarily agree with this since iWork is a very competitive solution for consumers looking for a simple word-processor, spreadsheet, and presentation software suite. Many of us have grown up with and become comfortable with Microsoft Office. However, MS Office - regardless of its ubiquitousness - is not necessarily the 'easiest' or the cheapest solution. Pages is able to offer a very easy to use interface and at a price of only $19.99 in the Mac AppStore, it is definitely an attractive offering.

Apple isn't necessairly aiming to dethrone Microsoft Office - rather, it is looking at catering to those customers who don't need a powerful software. Apple is keenly focused on developing simple and fun applications - which iWork lives up to.

I'm sure Apple will release a new version of iWork along with or near the release date of Mountain Lion. The question that many of us are probably wondering is, "will it be a free upgrade to existing iWork '09 customers or will it be a whole new set of apps to purchase?"

7. stomer macrumors 6502a

I think I remember Jason Snell saying on some podcast that he saw updated versions of iWork during the ML briefing early this year.

So I don't think it's abandonware. Reckon there's a good chance of seeing it when ML is released.

8. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

This Apple - no free upgrade, I doubt they'll even give a discount given it will probably be App store only and they have no way to verify previous ownership.

9. cmdrmac macrumors regular

I assume if a customer purchased iWork 09 through the Mac AppStore, then Apple should already have a record of a purchase. With that assumption, then it is theoretically possible that Apple could offer a 'free' upgrade to those users. Those of us who purchased a box version of iWork 09, we'll probably be left with only the option to purchase the new version of iWork on the Mac AppStore.

10. MacGurl111 macrumors 65816

MacGurl111

I would really love to see an update for this. Sad that the chances are slim.:(

11. goinskiing macrumors 6502a

goinskiing

Come to think of it...

Has apple put out any major point updates to any of it's software since the introduction of the Mac App Store? I don't think they have, or have they with iLife? If so, how was that handled? I would imagine the iWork suite to follow any precedent they have had (if there is one that is)...

12. saberahul macrumors 68040

There is no proof that the chances are slim... I think the opposite actually as iOS hints are strong.

13. macrominnie macrumors member

I agree that some revised iWork for MacOS is more likely sooner than later. It's needed to be one of the development paths for the iOS Keynote, Pages, & numbers. The increased features of a MacOS version will port eventually to next/next-next iOS devices (with improved processors).

Until the inevitable (not saying I want it) merging of MacOS & iOS, Apple can use the MacOS platform to "beta test", at a profit, their future iOS app versions. The ML/iCloud push seems like a good time to revise iWork for both platforms. It gets MacOS users to update and bring iOS users into the fold.

Google docs also puts pressure on Apple to make iWork an improved and easy suite. If Google docs dominates, that drives Android (and some sort of “GoogleCloud”) and is bad for iOS. New and widely adopted iWorks also gives Apple the delight in putting another nail in Microsoft & MS Office’s final resting place.

14. jacg macrumors 6502a

jacg

This is the big question. I don't think there has been an example of a paid upgrade yet. Maybe iWork 12 will start the ball rolling, followed expensively by Aperture, FCPX, etc...

I just hope iWork for OS X gets some innovation rather than being dumbed down for parity/compatibility with iWork for iOS. The iOS apps are neat, but there's no way I could do or want to do 90% of the stuff I do in Pages and Keynote on OS X. I want these tools to develop, not stagnate (and I want Numbers to replace Excel, but that's probably not going to happen).

If updated iWork apps on OS X are infected with skeuomorphism I will cry...

15. tekno macrumors 6502a

I'm beginning to think the same. I'm still on iWork 08 as I skipped 09 thinking I'd wait for iWork 10. Still waiting...!

I've decided to go with whichever comes out first - MS Office 2013 or iWork.

16. ScottNWDW macrumors 65816

ScottNWDW

I doubt that there will be an MS Office 2013 for Mac, since there already is MS Office 2011. MS Office usually comes in 3-4 year increments. MS Office 2013 is supposed to be the new Windows version of Office. The next expected major release of Office for Mac would be 2014 at the earliest since the Mac versions run roughly a year later

Office 2007 - Windows
    Office 2008 - Mac
    Office 2010 - Windows
    Office 2011 - Mac
    Office 2013 - Windows

17. plasticphyte, Jul 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2012

plasticphyte macrumors 6502

iWork is hardly abandware. It is Apple's primary competitor to the MS Office for Mac suite, iWork receives updates on a frequent enough basis, and Apple would hardly have spent the time and effort on developing iWork apps for iOS if they didn't believe the product line should continue.

Like all software, there is going to be times when there are large gaps between major releases. A prime example is the five plus year gap it took for Microsoft to bring Vista to market after Windows XP.

Apple, unlike Microsoft, don't have teams dedicated to OS X, iOS, and other apps - Apple tends to shuffle developers around on projects as needed.

Besides, iWork 09 is still a very functional tool application suite. It is not like it stops working after three years without a major update.

18. tekno macrumors 6502a

Oh! I just assumed they came out together. Thanks a lot for this info, MS Office 2011 for Mac it is then.

19. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

yea, they could simply upgrade it for app store purchasers, but given the number of people who bought it before they were out they'd risk upsetting a lot of people.

My guess is they'll take the "it's already cheap enough" route and have one price for it.

20. cmdrmac macrumors regular

I'm afraid I'd have to agree with you. The argument that "it's already cheap enough" is valid and Apple will also argue that they made iLife an a-la-carte purchase. Let's face it, not everyone needs/wants all three software solutions. Personally, I prefer using Keynote and Pages only and using Excel for my spreadsheet needs.

21. pdjudd macrumors 601

I think the fact that it is in the app store at all is enough proof that Apple is still paying attention to it that they still want to sell it. If they are still selling it they are going to have to maintain it.

22. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

I suspect the new version will be treated the way OS upgrades are treated: like a brand new app with no upgrades for previous owners...

23. jacg macrumors 6502a

jacg

I may be wrong, but hasn't each app store version of OS X required the previous version to install? This would make it more than an upgrade rather than a new purchase.

Will ML require Lion, or can it go on Snow Leopard?

The difference is that iWork 12 (if it is released) could be purchased by some who has never owned iWork, or someone who bought iWork 09 a few days earlier. The current single price model doesn't suit this situation well.

What do other developers do when there's a big, paid release on the way? Presumably they are up front about it, so that customers can make an informed decision?

24. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

There's only been one previous OS X release on the App Store, and that was Lion. It required Snow Leopard because that's where the App Store was released. Unless Apple had gone back and retrofitted Leopard to support the App Store, there wasn't any other option.

Mountain Lion will not require Lion, as Apple has already stated: http://www.apple.com/osx/how-to-upgrade/

jW

25. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Since this was mentioned I received this prompt from the Mac Appstore the other day. It implies that there is a future release of iWork on the Mac Appstore.

Anybody else ever get this ?

Keep in mind I'm running an official ( dev ) version of OSX.

Attached Files: