Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
I'm afraid I'd have to agree with you. The argument that "it's already cheap enough" is valid and Apple will also argue that they made iLife an a-la-carte purchase. Let's face it, not everyone needs/wants all three software solutions. Personally, I prefer using Keynote and Pages only and using Excel for my spreadsheet needs.

Personally, Keynote is all I really use - but I got the bundle for real cheap so I went with it.

it'd be nice if they brought out a viable competitor* for Excel and Word but I doubt that all happen.

Jim
* I am referring to a suite that can work well in an Office centric environment.

JohnDoe98

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2009
Since this was mentioned I received this prompt from the Mac Appstore the other day. It implies that there is a future release of iWork on the Mac Appstore.

Anybody else ever get this ?

Keep in mind I'm running an official ( dev ) version of OSX.

What does any of that have to do with iWork? Showing us pictures of iLife apps is meaningless to this discussion. We are talking about Pages, Keynote, and Numbers. Show us pictures of those.

numbersyx

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2006
Personally, Keynote is all I really use - but I got the bundle for real cheap so I went with it.

it'd be nice if they brought out a viable competitor* for Excel and Word but I doubt that all happen.

Jim
* I am referring to a suite that can work well in an Office centric environment.

Pages isn't far off Word. And the new ribbon interfaces have put some people off MS Word 11. However, I don't see Excel being threatened by any software in the near future....

rbr747

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2012
I am outraged that Apple seems to be uncommitted to iWork. When will it be retina ready? It's a key opportunity given Officeformac has proven so lame again (on retina).

Apple's lack of support for business users is a bad strategy - I didn't make the money to buy a retina MBP by editing pictures. Most people don't make money that way

nanotlj

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008
I just hope updated iWorks will support open office ISO format, which should be in the first case.
Come on Apple, OSX has already has system wide quick look support for open office since 10.5. Add the support in iWorks is not that hard.

jacg

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2003
UK
I guess the team have also been busy with iBooks Author. I wonder if Keynote will inherit any technology from there, like html5 support, interactivity, etc? It would be a really interesting direction for education.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
I guess the team have also been busy with iBooks Author. I wonder if Keynote will inherit any technology from there, like html5 support, interactivity, etc? It would be a really interesting direction for education.

Keynote could see some huge updates. Since iWork 09 Apple's pretty much brought AV Foundation (Quicktime replacement) to a point where it's pretty full featured and performs well. Keynote supporting this modern framework should do wonders for its handling.

I think many would like to see Applescript support for iWork as well. Pages needs to leverage the modern text engine in OS X and Numbers needs a big speed boost.

jacg

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2003
UK
So are these apps getting updated or not? The web pages seem to have been updated to show iCloud support but the apps still date back to '09 and the app store seems to show no updates since last year.

Maybe I'm just impatient and they'll hit the store soon (as .1 releases presumably), or maybe the iCloud support just works for these apps now that ML is live? And no retina graphics?

Oh, hand on, iWork just disappeared from new & noteworthy on the MAS...

jacg

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2003
UK
.1 updates are now appearing on MAS. The apps are still referred to by their '09 moniker in the blurb so clearly the marketing team have decided this is not an issue, nor the lack of major development since 2009.

At least these desktop apps have escaped faux leather and torn paper edges for now... (as far as I can tell - still downloading)

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
The iWork v9.2 update is now available:
http://swcdn.apple.com/content/down...bfsfxdstqi9gztnpcdwk0fs7/iWork_9.2_Update.pkg

Apple Inc. said:
iWork Update 9.2 adds support for the following features available on OS X Mountain Lion:
- iCloud: Store documents in iCloud and keep them automatically up to date across your Mac, iPad, iPhone, iPod touch, and the web. Changes made to a document on one device automatically appear on all your other devices. Requires iWork for iOS 1.6.1 or later installed on iOS device.
- Dictation: Speak words, numbers, or sentences and watch them appear in your presentation, document, or spreadsheet.
- The iWork apps are also enhanced to take advantage of the Retina display on new Mac hardware so presentations, documents, and spreadsheets appear sharper and more vibrant.

This update is recommended for users of iWork 9.0 and later.
It adds support for OS X 10.8. More info:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5248

phlsphr

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2012
.1 updates are now appearing on MAS. The apps are still referred to by their '09 moniker in the blurb so clearly the marketing team have decided this is not an issue, nor the lack of major development since 2009.

At least these desktop apps have escaped faux leather and torn paper edges for now... (as far as I can tell - still downloading)

Its interesting that "'09" references seem to have disappeared. In the update Apple refers to iWork 9.x.

"This update is recommended for users of iWork 9.0 and later."

jacg

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2003
UK
Anyone else think that the morph transition during the iPhone 5 event (not sure what time, but when the 30 pin cable changed into the new design) was native to a new version of Keynote? Did anyone spot anything else new?

Possibly an update alongside new iMacs or iPad minis?

MacPro23

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2011
Anyone else think that the morph transition during the iPhone 5 event (not sure what time, but when the 30 pin cable changed into the new design) was native to a new version of Keynote? Did anyone spot anything else new?

Possibly an update alongside new iMacs or iPad minis?

That's true that Apple relies on Keynote for all their presentations, so they must be planning on updating it soon. It makes sense for them to update it when the new iMac is released, especially if the iMac is redesigned.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.