iWork and iLife Student Discount (nearly) Gone?

dannyallen34

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 1, 2005
I was looking on the Apple website and it says that the education discount for iWork and iLife is only $8. Is that a mistake? The old iWork/iLife used to be $49 while '08 is $71.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
In the UK HE store both are reduced to £35 from £55 which is a very big saving.

NATO

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2005
Northern Ireland
Yeah, Apple seems to be backing off the discount for educational users of late. The UK Higher Education store iPod discount is practically non-existant, and the software discounts seem to have been reduced dramatically..

The normal education price for iWork/iLife 08 is £50, a £5 discount. I remember picking up iWork/iLife 06 for £35 from the Higher Education store.

Does anyone with access to the UK Higher Ed store know the price of iWork and iLife 08? If it's not much below £50 I'd rather just order now from the normal edu store rather than wait until tomorrow when I can access the HE store...

Edit : xUKHCx answered my question as I was typing it, cheers!

thebrain74

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2006
amen

Ya I just checked at both a regular edu store for my community college and the 'specialized' store for my prestigious uni and both listed that same $71 price (applies to iWork too), that blows I was really wanted to buy both for my 1.5 month old MBP for under a hundy, now I am kinda torn. Maybe the store at my uni will have them for better prices.

dannyallen34

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 1, 2005
UPDATE: If you download the trial, you can buy a serial number online. When you click buy serial number, you are given the choice to either buy just the serial number for $49 or the box for $71. Good to know.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
The normal education price for iWork/iLife 08 is £50, a £5 discount. I remember picking up iWork/iLife 06 for £35 from the Higher Education store.
I imagine it still is I'll check and report back tomorrow.

I suspect you can still get a good discount on iLife/iWork through your campus store in the US.

TheStranger55

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2007
For some odd reason when I pick the $49 product key version it doesn't update the cart but the $71 boxed version it does.

shambolic

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2003
Staten Island, NY
thanks. but what about ilife? is there a trial for it?
The iWork trial is practical as the combined size of the three apps is still manageable for a download (since the trial is actually the full product).

As anyone who's ever tried to free up disk space on a Mac knows, iDVD and Garageband alone use up several gigabytes for their templates/sound loops, so the chances of iLife being available in a downloadable trial version are slim, unless that version was a cut-down product that required you to purchase the DVD anyway to upgrade it to a full version - which would make the download-only discount a moot point...

dr_lha

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
Yeah, I'm seeing $71 for both apps at my employer's online apple store. However the last time version of iLife sold for $59 online, but if you actually went to the University Computer Store, it sold for $39. For this reason I think I'll wait for them to get copies of iWork/iLife in stock before buying!

Silly Burrito

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2005
If you work for a state/local government, check out their store!

I don't know about the educational discount, but I did pick up both iWork and iLife for $65.60 through the state government link for our employee purchase plan. It might not be as cheap as a serial number alone, but I got both products shipped and with tax for $143. Not too bad.

Knolly

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2007
I don't know about the educational discount, but I did pick up both iWork and iLife for $65.60 through the state government link for our employee purchase plan. It might not be as cheap as a serial number alone, but I got both products shipped and with tax for $143. Not too bad.
Oh snap! Thanks for that link... I work for my city and never realized this, haha.