iWork and iLife Student Discount (nearly) Gone?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dannyallen34, Aug 7, 2007.

1. dannyallen34 macrumors regular

I was looking on the Apple website and it says that the education discount for iWork and iLife is only $8. Is that a mistake? The old iWork/iLife used to be $49 while '08 is $71.

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

In the UK HE store both are reduced to £35 from £55 which is a very big saving.

3. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

Yeah, Apple seems to be backing off the discount for educational users of late. The UK Higher Education store iPod discount is practically non-existant, and the software discounts seem to have been reduced dramatically..

The normal education price for iWork/iLife 08 is £50, a £5 discount. I remember picking up iWork/iLife 06 for £35 from the Higher Education store.

Does anyone with access to the UK Higher Ed store know the price of iWork and iLife 08? If it's not much below £50 I'd rather just order now from the normal edu store rather than wait until tomorrow when I can access the HE store...

Edit : xUKHCx answered my question as I was typing it, cheers!

4. dannyallen34 thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm... then perhaps these prices are a mistake. I tried a few other schools and all of them say $71 still.

5. thebrain74 macrumors regular

amen

Ya I just checked at both a regular edu store for my community college and the 'specialized' store for my prestigious uni and both listed that same $71 price (applies to iWork too), that blows I was really wanted to buy both for my 1.5 month old MBP for under a hundy, now I am kinda torn. Maybe the store at my uni will have them for better prices.

6. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

yeah, it looks like the edu discount is dwindling away

7. henry.oswald macrumors member

i think the ed discount hasnt been fully updated yet, some of the numbers dont seem right yet.

8. dannyallen34 thread starter macrumors regular

I hope it's a mistake. Has anyone tried calling the offline store?

9. dannyallen34 thread starter macrumors regular

UPDATE: If you download the trial, you can buy a serial number online. When you click buy serial number, you are given the choice to either buy just the serial number for $49 or the box for $71. Good to know.

10. thebrain74 macrumors regular

11. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

12. thebrain74 macrumors regular

as of right now it looks like a no go for the ilife trial

13. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I imagine it still is I'll check and report back tomorrow.

I suspect you can still get a good discount on iLife/iWork through your campus store in the US.

14. TheStranger55 macrumors member

For some odd reason when I pick the $49 product key version it doesn't update the cart but the $71 boxed version it does.

15. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

It is, see second post.

16. dannyallen34 thread starter macrumors regular

The same thing happens to me. I'm planning on just buying the $71 boxed version I think.

17. shambolic macrumors regular

The iWork trial is practical as the combined size of the three apps is still manageable for a download (since the trial is actually the full product).

As anyone who's ever tried to free up disk space on a Mac knows, iDVD and Garageband alone use up several gigabytes for their templates/sound loops, so the chances of iLife being available in a downloadable trial version are slim, unless that version was a cut-down product that required you to purchase the DVD anyway to upgrade it to a full version - which would make the download-only discount a moot point...

18. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Cool. I think I'm getting the family pack anyhow.

19. dr_lha macrumors 68000

Yeah, I'm seeing $71 for both apps at my employer's online apple store. However the last time version of iLife sold for $59 online, but if you actually went to the University Computer Store, it sold for $39. For this reason I think I'll wait for them to get copies of iWork/iLife in stock before buying!

20. Silly Burrito macrumors newbie

If you work for a state/local government, check out their store!

I don't know about the educational discount, but I did pick up both iWork and iLife for $65.60 through the state government link for our employee purchase plan. It might not be as cheap as a serial number alone, but I got both products shipped and with tax for $143. Not too bad.

21. Knolly macrumors 6502a

Oh snap! Thanks for that link... I work for my city and never realized this, haha.

22. StealthRider macrumors 65816

StealthRider

That's just wrong...my military discount has never been bigger than the education one...I think there's been a mistake :eek: :p

23. iBunny macrumors 65816

Yea Military Discount! :D

24. StealthRider macrumors 65816

StealthRider

Best thing ever...now if only they allowed you to double-dip and combine it with education...:p