iWork, iLife Update issue Mavericks - info

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by vinitmenon, Oct 22, 2013.

1. vinitmenon, Oct 22, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2013

vinitmenon macrumors regular

vinitmenon

People who have installed iWork and iLife from Retail dvd are not given update via Mac App Store as of now.

Talked to Apple support and they have said "they are aware of this and everyone should get update by tomorrow"

Many people are stuck at this moment waiting for updates.

If you are one of them, then please be patient.

Workaround if you don't want to wait:

1.Go to system preferences. 2.Open up User and Groups. 3.Unlock the lock. 4. Press Plus sign. 5.Create a new account and put TEST in the Full Name area. Change new account to an Administrator. Don't put anything else in. Hit Create User. 6. Log out of your account and then log in to the new TEST account. 7. Go to software update where the Apple is on the top left. You will now see iPhoto and iMovie. 8.You have to install Garageband separately and it does install separately then older Garageband. You can keep both installed. 8. Log out of the TEST account and log into your account. Delete the TEST account, and you are all done. Now you will have all new installed.

I can confirm it to be working. Every app is now linked to my account, which i originally installed via dvd or torrent :p

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Thanks for the info. Good to know.

3. jtfolden macrumors 6502

jtfolden

Who at Apple support did you talk to? It's my understanding that those who purchased on DVD will NOT get update.

You need to have purchased via the Mac App Store OR have recently purchased a new Mac.

4. drew627 macrumors regular

Ah we're getting the update after all! Hooray! Hope this is true!

5. mattshort macrumors member

And by recently, you mean within the last three weeks (Oct. 1st).

6. vinitmenon thread starter macrumors regular

vinitmenon

I got iLife in DVD when I purchased my macbook pro in 2011. I have received updates till now. But not for this one. So i called apple support and talked and they said they are aware of this issue and i will get update for it. If i dont get it by tomorrow I can request for a call again.

If you have it installed then you will get an update. If you dont have it installed, dont expect to get it for free. Only Mac purchases after 1st Oct will get as free.

Attached Files:

7. Altis macrumors 68000

Naturally.

Got mine 24th of September. 2 days shy of a month. @&$%#.

8. jtfolden macrumors 6502

jtfolden

This really doesn't make sense... iLife has shipped with every new Mac for a great number of years, certainly as far back as all Macs currently supported by Mavericks. So, who then would be left to PAY for the iLife apps if the upgrade is available to virtually everyone?

9. vinitmenon thread starter macrumors regular

vinitmenon

Workaround confirmed:

1.Go to system preferences. 2.Open up User and Groups. 3.Unlock the lock. 4. Press Plus sign. 5.Create a new account and put TEST in the Full Name area. Change new account to an Administrator. Don't put anything else in. Hit Create User. 6. Log out of your account and then log in to the new TEST account. 7. Go to software update where the Apple is on the top left. You will now see iPhoto and iMovie. 8.You have to install Garageband separately and it does install separately then older Garageband. You can keep both installed. 8. Log out of the TEST account and log into your account. Delete the TEST account, and you are all done. Now you will have all new installed.

10. cosmicjoke macrumors 6502

well they solved it apparently cuz i have the boxed copy of iwork and the updates finally appeared

11. vinitmenon thread starter macrumors regular

vinitmenon

came to my main account from test and checked purchased tab.. and i now have all the apps...

Attached Files:

12. yetieater macrumors regular

It may be taking its sweet time rolling out to all users. I bought my last Mac in October 2011 and got the new iPhoto and iMovie installed on my machines.

13. jtfolden macrumors 6502

jtfolden

To clarify, did you have the iWork apps on DVD only, as well, and now see the updates?

14. mattshort macrumors member

Me too buddy. I got mine Sept 5th. Extremely disappointed after waiting for Haswell all summer (and half my first semester back to school in 10 years). The least they could do is give me iWork with my new machine (like they always used to).

15. davecom macrumors member

Lucky you, mine still don't even show up in purchased.

16. Altis macrumors 68000

Even got the $279 Applecare... :( What's it to them anyways...

17. AceGuy78 macrumors member

AceGuy78

I had iWork preinstalled via DVD and wasn't receiving the updates. Then I realized that due to the Mavericks update I was not signed into my Apple ID on the Mac App Store.

I went to "Store" in the toolbar and signed in and all of the updates were pushed right away
    1.Pages
    2.Numbers
    3.Keynote
    4.iPhoto
    5.iMovie

18. comics addict macrumors 6502a

For those that had iWork installed via DVD & have the updated versions show up did Apple associated them to your Apple ID? 'Cause I have my disc laying around here somewhere... :(

19. vinitmenon thread starter macrumors regular

vinitmenon

ya dvd... see if its already installed on ur mac (mavericks) then u should see update.

some users reported they got update and some like me didn't.. so check the solution i posted.. i got my updates installed...

----------

ya they associated a lll iWork and ilife apps to my id.. when i clicked update it asked me for my password and then was saying it will associate.. and it did.. all apps appeared in purchased list.. check snapshot i attached..

----------

try solution posted on 1st post.. it worked for me.. should work for everyone..

solution is from high level apple support guy..

20. ZeRoLiMiT macrumors 6502a

ZeRoLiMiT

21. comics addict macrumors 6502a

Great, thanks for the clarification. :)

22. imjoee macrumors 6502

imjoee

I'm disappointed too. Bought mine late august.

23. mac&cheesey macrumors 6502

This worked perfectly for me. Thanks! I had all the apps already from disc but it's nice to have them linked to my account now.

m&c

24. 628 macrumors regular

Thanks for the heads up! I was able to see the updates after logging in.

25. Kubaton macrumors member

Kubaton