iWork: Is It Now Time To Buy?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by JPM42, Jul 22, 2011.

1. JPM42 macrumors 6502

Like many of you, I've been waiting since late last year for the new iWork. First, I anticipated it coming out with the launch of the Mac App Store: nothing. Then hopefully with the launch of Lion: nothing.

Since iWork received a pretty big update to support Lion features, does anyone see it being updated in the near future? Of course, I know nobody actually knows for sure, but I'm just curious where other people waiting for iWork are at with this. I'm tempted to buy, but there's still this feeling that once I do, it'll be a new version.

Your insight is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. saberahul macrumors 68040

Honestly I couldn't tell you. There aren't any rumors. There was one rumor that iWork '11 will come out when Lion is released to fix the full screen and what not but they just updated '09. I would just buy it if I were you. I use office and iWork '09 and like iWork a lot lot more than office. Office is good for note-taking due to built in voice recorder and notebook layout but iWork is very stable and easy to use.

3. waynep macrumors 6502

I am with you on this. I have been waiting and am now beginning to think the Lion related update is it . . . . But you never know.

4. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

It's honestly hard to say. You would have figured that they would have announced it with iLife 11 or even OS X Lion right? but I guess not.

Perhaps there won't be a new version. Keep looking around and see if you can find a good deal. I got iWork 09 for $30 on Amazon a while back

5. ccprstuff macrumors newbie

I decided not to wait, and bought the boxed version for $49.98 from Amazon on June 8, 2011, and waited awhile before opening the box to see if a new version would be coming out so I could return it to Amazon and get the new version.

All of the '09 IWork boxes on Amazon are now listed as the "Old Version", probably because Apple has discontinued boxed versions of its software in favor of App Store downloads ($19.99 each for Pages, Keynote and Numbers).

Price has now gone up to $72.98 for the boxed "Old Version" that is eligible for free Amazon shipping.

6. JPM42 thread starter macrumors 6502

7. BillyBobBongo macrumors 68020

BillyBobBongo

I can't help but think about a couple of possible scenarios when it comes it iWorks, either a) Apple is going to do away with the '09 / '11 moniker and just implement updates for these through the Mac App Store from now on or b) perhaps people who used the Mac App Store to purchase iWorks will get upgraded to the new version since they essentially purchased iWorks '09 very late in the game and had no other option due to Apple phasing out physical media.

Obviously it's hard to image Apple giving away too much stuff for free, but these are just scenarios rattling around in my head.

8. nicksmolenski macrumors regular

nicksmolenski

I'm in the same boat. I have been using Microsoft Office for a while now and I'm sick of it. Luckily I don't need iWork until school starts up again, so hopefully it'll update in August.
    However I agree with your idea of buying from eBay. That way if the update does occur sooner rather than later you can save some money.

9. waynep macrumors 6502

I bought Pages from the App store. I also have Office 2011 so I have a spreadsheet and presentation program available. I wanted Pages for it's easy page layout function as I had a brochure to get out quick for a project. I'll wait for a while on the other two.

10. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

Waiting a little longer.

I've been wondering like the OP and I think I can hold off till iOS 5 is released to see if something new surfaces. If nothing by then I will go ahead and buy via the Mac App Store. It sure would be nice to know tho :)