iWork or Office 2008

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Watabou, May 10, 2008.

1. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

All right, my iWork trial is expiring soon and i really like the Office suite from Apple and its easy to use. But some people have told me that they much prefer Office 2008?

I do work with fairly large files with all three apps(PP,Excel,word). And I also heard that Word crashes if files get larger. Is that true?

What should I do? Why is Office 2008 better or worse than iWork? iWork is cheaper to buy than Office too. So will iWork be okay for my needs?

2. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

How large?

I work with 20,000+ cell spreadsheets in Numbers fairly often and it's not a problem. Sometimes it will slow down a bit but it doesn't grind to a halt.

I don't have Office 2008 but in earlier versions I've found that Word chokes pretty hard with documents larger than 100 pages, especially if there are a lot of illustrations. Pages seems to do better with large, heavily illustrated documents.

Keynote, of course, runs circles around MS PowerPoint.

There are a few features lacking in Numbers but otherwise I much prefer the Apple suite to MS Office.

3. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

Simply put, iWork kicks office outa this world...except it does not have auto recovery. :(

4. stagi macrumors 65816

stagi

I love iWork, some of the templates are so much better designed than what I have found for word and I just like the look/feel of it much better.

5. Watabou thread starter macrumors 68040

Watabou

What do you mean auto recovery?

@ wordmunger: Much less than that. So I know I should be okay. I work with Excel less than the other two. I only need Excel sometimes in my Computer Science class.

6. wordy macrumors regular

wordy

I would size it up like this:

Numbers < Excel
    Pages >= Word
    Keynote >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Powerpoint.

Excel on the Mac is slightly crippled compared to it's PC version, but you'll only notice the difference if you're doing heavy computation. For everyday use I don't think there is a better "bang for your buck" than iWork.

7. Watabou thread starter macrumors 68040

Watabou

Ok guys I think I' more leaning to iWork now. I will see how it goes now. For my use, Numbers has been fine. I don't need anything more so I think iWork will work for me.

And all of the apps in iWork save,open,edit all of the documents from the Office apps right?

8. forafireescape macrumors 6502a

forafireescape

Yep...you should be fine :)

9. sellitman macrumors regular

sellitman

I have iWork and Neo Office. (Free) I don't miss Micro Soft at all.

10. Spritey macrumors regular

Spritey

I've used Office for the longest time on Windows and for about a year on Mac (Excel, Word, Powerpoint & Access), and in terms of word editing, presentations and simple Excel tasks (such as accounting, simple math stuff) iWork beats the crap out of Office in my opinion. There's some minor flaws, but the visually pleasing result you get from using iWork over Office more than makes up for those flaws.

The reason I prefer iWork is because you can make everything look highly professional (like you hired someone to do the layout for you) like you might have noticed. My first three years of university I used Office,a and never received a compliment on my slides or my reports (and not to brag, but I probably had the best looking slides and reports in the class).

Once I started using Keynote for my and my groups' presentations, the profs and the other students were simply blown away. They would literally say 'wow' during the presentations. When I got my reports back, the profs would always comment how professional the report looked like, never happened while using Word. Once I was even asked if I used a graphics designer to format my reports! (anything that looks remotely nice is a rarity in management schools as Word doesn't exactly lend itself well to that)

And being able to export Pages documents as a pdf without expensive add-ons is also great. Ensures that your document can be opened by anyone and still look the same regardless of OS or the word editing software they use.

The only drawback I have with iWork is when you're working in groups and might juggle multiple files that needs to be combined there's the possibility of issues regarding interoperability between iWork/Office/OpenOffice. (Personally don't have much experience going between these three so I don't know for sure).However, after Google Docs came around, we would use that as it's much more collaborative. Once we had a final version on Google Docs, I would copy everything from there into Pages/Numbers and do the final editing and layout there.

I don't know how large files you're working with, but when I've worked with 20 page newsletter with lots of large images I've had no trouble. Just remember to save frequently. Maybe I'm wrong, but I didn't discover an auto-save feature like you have in Office.

Also, if you do really complicated stuff in spreadsheets that require more advanced Excel features normally, you might want to check and see if Numbers has that feature also before making your decision.

I'm definitely never using Office again though. Keynote alone makes it worth to get iWork if you ever have to do presentations.d

11. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

One day...make that night I was finishing the other half of a huge geography essay with fancy images lots of text formating and ALOT of info. Then pages...crashed! :(

My mac is a tad bit too old.

12. Spritey macrumors regular

Spritey

LoL Had the same experience once myself. That's when I discovered the lack of auto save ;c)

Then again, I had auto-save in Word sas well, every 10 minutes, and of course within less than this 10 minute timeframe I wrote some great stuff, word crashes on me. That's when I set auto save to every 30 secs.... (made the computer a little bit angry, but owh well)

13. Watabou thread starter macrumors 68040

Watabou

Well...I'm going to the Apple store tomorrow and getting iWork. I don't want to wait for it to arrive and the Apple store is just 15 minutes or so away.

Thanks guys for helping me.

Also @Spritey: Yeah, iWork documents looks way more professional than Office documents. That was the real challenge for me. Because my teacher says Office 2008 is good enough for her and she hates iWork so oh well. I bet she never even tried iWork.

So I was kinda confused because why should i pay 400+ dollars for a buggy Office suite when I have a more cheaper option that does what I expect it to do.

14. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Pages isn't better than Word, especially Word 2007 for PC.

You could get the home and student version which is only $150, but I still agree that iWork is probably a better choice.

15. joeshell383 macrumors 6502a

Wow! You were going to pay $400 for Office? There are much, much cheaper, completely legal options, especially for students. Even iWork can be purchased for $39, legally, if you know where to look. I would seriously do some investigation. Paying sticker price for software is ridiculous.

16. Spritey macrumors regular

Spritey

Depends what you're doing.

The templates certainly look a lot better, and you have features such as the instant alpha, which is really awesome when you're using images, or graphs/tables from other sources. Plus reflection of images adds a nice touch too.

But yes, Word has auto save and is used by more people. However, the end result always looks a lot better in Pages in my opinion, and is much easier to make it look better versus Word. And for a word editing program, most people just want a professional looking end-result with no spelling errors. (Unfortunately Pages nor word can produce the content for you :c(

But yeah, Word has gotten a bit better in 2007 in terms of templates, but they also completely changed their menu which doesn't make any sense to me.

17. Diaresi macrumors regular

Office 2008 is currently shockingly slow! Not only that but it doesn't even display some Powerpoints I have correctly :rolleyes:

Generally speaking:

Personal Use: iWork
    Mainstream Compatibility (if you can call it that): Office 2008
    Full Collaborative Compatibility: OpenOffice Aqua

Not that i'm happy about having the need for 3 Office Suites but there you go :)

18. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Pages is still lacking some major features, it doesn't do citations for a start, and the Word 2007 is better once you get used to it, the ribbon is a great leap forward. Pages really isn't bad at all its just Word 2007 is better ;).

19. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

20. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Latex > All :).

The only reason to get office is Excel really. Word is great if you are into writing long documents but as said above Latex is better for technical documents anyway and it is free. Not really sure what is meant to be so good about Word now that I've started to use Latex.

I do use Pages for simple documents or when I am feeling lazy though :). Looks good and works well.

21. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

22. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Such as this thread? I'm not into circular references. ;)

At least these threads aren't currently breeding like rabbits, as they did in the months after iWork '08 came out.

23. ASFx macrumors regular

I tried to use iwork at first but then had to move on to office 2008 when i kept having problems viewing all my excel documents properly. I had some conditional formatting and dropdown boxes that just wouldn't show up right in iwork (numbers).

24. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

No dumb dumb it goes like this:
    Number > Excel
    Pages < Word
    Keynote > Powerpoint

Pages is the only one that sucks. OP just so you know windows documents don't open very well in iWork.