iWork Updates Now Available

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Now available via Software Update for current iWork owners:

Keynote 2.0.1
Keynote 2.0.1 addresses isolated issues that may have affected reliability for some customers.

Pages 1.0.1
Pages 1.0.1 addresses isolated issues that may have affected reliability for some customers and resolves an issue related to deleting complete pages.

Pismo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2002
NH
Anyone know if these updates will speed up Pages and Keynote 2? They are both very slow on my computer. Of course, I'm using a 400 MHz PowerBook so that might be the problem right there. Other than that, I haven't seen any bugs or "weirdness" from both these apps.

I guess things will be a lot snappier when my new 15" AluBook arrives next week :D

dashiel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2003
Pismo said:
Anyone know if these updates will speed up Pages and Keynote 2? They are both very slow on my computer. Of course, I'm using a 400 MHz PowerBook so that might be the problem right there. Other than that, I haven't seen any bugs or "weirdness" from both these apps.

I guess things will be a lot snappier when my new 15" AluBook arrives next week :D
pages starts to drag on my dual 2.0 Ghz w/1.5 GB of RAM if i get too crazy with objects and wrapping text... i can't imagine what a dog it would be on a 400mhz machine.

MontyZ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2005
It's nice to see Apple releases software fixes fairly quickly. If only Adobe did the same.

Now I wish they would release a Spreadsheet program so I can kiss MS Office goodbye forever.

virus1

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2004
LOST
Pismo said:

They are slow on my 1ghz PB as well. i was just about to comment on that. in fact, it seems that all of apple's ilife and iwork is much slower than some of thier pro apps such as soundtrack or fcp. (witch i am sure will be fixed at nab this year.. never fear)

neilt

macrumors regular
May 28, 2002
Phoenix, AZ
a problem i still have

if i control click (i use a one button mouse after all :) ) in the thumbnail drawer and copy a slide using the contextual menu, then try to paste it also using the contextual menu, keynote crashes....

this happens every time.. I have never been able to do this without a crash, hoped this update would fix it, but no go.....

neilt

Pismo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2002
NH
I bought iWork on impulse. I knew I wouldn't be able to use it efficiently. Keynote 2 is a dog on my machine and I can only use a few transitions because my graphics card is not powerful enough.

My new PowerBook is scheduled to ship 3/24 so once I get it, you'll never hear me complain again about speed. Can you say "Huge Upgrade"?

Mike D

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2004
can finally delete a page

Still a bit unwieldy, but at least now you can delete a page by highlighting the text and selecting "delete page" from the edit menu. Solves the biggest problem with the program thus far, in my opinion...

weev

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2003
Sydney, Australia
I already use pages for everything I used Word for, except a Thesaurus.

For a new app Pages is very good, it will be a sleeper, in my opinion.

Bring on a thesaurus!

btw, these apps run well on the G5 dual

ChrisH3677

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2003
Victoria, Australia
weev said:
I already use pages for everything I used Word for, except a Thesaurus.

For a new app Pages is very good, it will be a sleeper, in my opinion.

Bring on a thesaurus!

btw, these apps run well on the G5 dual
Heya - Nisus Thesaurus is a good alternative until then - and it's free!It runs as a service and can selected words can be looked up by pressing the shortcut key (command-shift-fullstop)

And it's great to have Delete Pages.

Not sure if it's snappier.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Nice to see Apple being responsive on this. They should be though, especially with a new product like iWork. They definitely don't want to disappoint new users or else they may forever be turned off the suite.

AllieNeko

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
I too bought iWork on impulse - I use Keynote. I have mixed uses for pages - for real word processing I love it. But MS Word is better for taking notes in classes (Notebook mode) and for formatting an APA research paper easily. For fun stuff, I use Pages though.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Gone but not forgotten.
Mike D said:
Still a bit unwieldy, but at least now you can delete a page by highlighting the text and selecting "delete page" from the edit menu. Solves the biggest problem with the program thus far, in my opinion...
Barely better but it's a step closer. Now, if they'll re-do it by version 2.0 and create a page sorter to allow a fixed page layout and insertion deletion just like a desktop publishing application, I'd be set.

nightdweller25

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2005
fustration

im really flustered, i have iWork and its legal and everything, but i can't get the updates, it says my software is up to date, but i check and they are still 1.0, do i need to register? :confused:

sord

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2004
Never had any problems with the originals, but what the hell its an update :D
Hoping for a grammar checker sometime

Fredstar

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2004
Near London
nightdweller25 said:
im really flustered, i have iWork and its legal and everything, but i can't get the updates, it says my software is up to date, but i check and they are still 1.0, do i need to register? :confused:
I Can't download it either, i am sure it will be available later in the day for us- always happens with updates.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Gone but not forgotten.
nightdweller25 said:
If you have them in the Applications folder, wait a while. If not, you may want to move them there temporarily.

Zaty

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2004
Switzerland
TOC bug not fixed

Unfortunately, not all bugs have been fixed. The TOC numbering bug still exists. E. g if you use Roman numerals to number your pages TOC will still display Arab numerals. And no, at least Pages is not any faster. We have to hope Apple plans version 1.1 which will really improve things.

ebally

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2004
London, UK
nightdweller25 said:
It seems Software Update will only see Keynote or Pages if they are located in the original default location folder. eg. Aplications/iWork

Once you update them, you can move the back to where you want.