iWork vs MS Office

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by GreatestDane, Nov 11, 2010.

1. GreatestDane macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; da-dk) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Hi

I'm about to buy a Mac that I'll use for school, and now I don't know if I should buy iWork or Office. I will mainly use word/pages and occasionally powerpoint/keynote.

What would you buy?

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I would pick iWork because of Keynote. It is by far the best presentation software I have ever used. Very well streamlined and laid out.

As per Pages, it is still missing some things and could be better. Numbers = Joke, that is all on that front.

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

5. dissolve macrumors 6502a

This is a tough question and a matter of personal preference. I enjoy using iWork much, much more. Pages and Keynote are fantastic. Excel does have more computational features though, but Numbers is easier to use.

Unfortunately, there is a flip side: compatibility. If you're doing collaborative projects with PC users, you're really going to need Office. Especially since iWork does a pretty bad job with docx, pptx, and xclx formats. Give iWork a try through the trial version. If you really like it, you could get both. Not a great solution, I know, but it's what I'm doing now after trying to get by with iWork alone.

6. nefan65 macrumors 65816

nefan65

+1

I have both Office 2011 and iWork. iWork is easier, faster, and does most of what Office can do. Excel is stronger, but if you don't need fancy Macros, and crap, Numbers is fine...

7. iMacThere4Iam macrumors regular

Sorry to say, because I personally like iWork, but many professors insist on
    Powerpoint for presentation projects. The self-proclaimed free thinkers usually turn out to be the most intellectually rigid, IMHO.

So, to be on the safe side, if you can only choose one, I would suggest Office. But if you can pick up a discount on iWork (which may be possible if you purchase it at the same time as your new Mac), it's well worth having them both, and you'll probably find yourself using iWork more than Office.

Enjoy that new Mac!

8. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Open Office is an excellent free alternative that is highly compatible with MS Office files.

9. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I have very basic needs for the typical "office suite" and thus I use iWork. It's less expensive and it's made by Apple so I think it will run better than MS Office [on Mac].

Like the person above me said, OpenOffice.org is a great FREE suite and compatible with MS Office and looks a lot like it too.