iWork

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by lonewolfe60, Oct 22, 2013.

1. lonewolfe60 macrumors newbie

Is anyone else disappointed that iWork isn't free for the 2013 MacBook Air? I know they are giving people more of an incentive for upgrading their macs. but i feel like the 2013 MacBook Air buyers should be able to get the iWork for free also...

2. imjoee macrumors 6502

imjoee

I totally agree, i am disappointed.

3. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

do PCs come free with office?

office for the mac is $140, iWork is $80.
    i am just glad they're finally working on it because it simply isn't a full replacement for MS Office, at least not in my line of work - especially numbers. Pages and Keynote are passable and even have some advantages over Word and Powerpoint - but they are still missing many key features.

Not sure why we "should be able to get iWork for free"

----------

to be clear keep in mind that the above opinion is rendered based on the as of yet not-updated versions of Pages, Numbers and keynote. I haven't used the new versions yet...like i said - i am glad they are working on it and excited to play with it soon!

4. mattferg macrumors 6502

I've got an old copy of iWork '09 installed, and that's been updated to the 2013 version! I think that's generous enough.

5. lonewolfe60 thread starter macrumors newbie

I just think it should be free for the 2013 MacBook Air. because they are giving it to people that buy their macs after Oct 1st, i think that since the 2013 MacBook Airs are relativily new that they should have given iWork for free to people who upgraded to the new 2013 MacBook Airs even if we bought it before Oct 1st. Apple wants us to upgrade to the newest, and i did, i just dont think they should pentalize the 2013 MacBook Air user for getting it before Oct 1st.

6. Mrbobb macrumors 601

PCs used to come "bundled" I don't remember when they stopped the practice.

Apple's fault, from yesterday event they made it sound like FREE, all Apps are now FREE!

Sometimes people want something simpler and don't need the full-blown Office.

Office: Keep in touch with your buddy who has a corporate account. I think there is an ongoing $10 (yes ten bucks) Office 2011 license deal.

7. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

why?
    There's no such thing as a free lunch. how exactly are you being "pentalized?"

8. jdechko macrumors 68040

DisplacedMic, iWork is only $60, not $80, but I get your point.

You're not being penalized for anything. You got exactly what Apple said you'd get, plus a free upgrade to Mavericks.

There has to be a cutoff date. People that bought the (now) old models 15 days before the refresh are probably going to be pissed that they missed it by 1 day. And for every rule there are exceptions. But you should buy something for what it currently is, and not what it's promised (or not promised) to be.

//Bought 2013 Air in July.

It's not Apple's fault. It's pretty clear in the fine print. Always read the fine print.

9. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

Come on. at no point did any reasonable person watch that or any other Apple advertisement and think "All Apps are now FREE!"

----------

you're absolutely right, that was a mistake; the fact that it's $60 strengthens my point and every point you made subsequently.

10. m98custom1212 macrumors 6502

Yes most of them do.. Word and Excel

11. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

i'm not sure that's true. granted it has been 4-5 years since i've purchased a laptop but a quick trip to lenovo and dell yielded no free Office on the lenovo and a 1 month trial of Office 365 whatever the hell that is on the dell.

in fact the first link returned on a google search for pcs that come with office is titled "Article: New Computers Usually WILL NOT Come with Microsoft Office"

I think you've probably seen some starter versions of office 2010...definitely not full versions of office and if they're good enough for your purposes then the iWork suite is almost certainly as good if not superior.

for people doing science, for example, neither option is sufficient in my opinion.

12. jdechko macrumors 68040

Not only that, but Microsoft Office Starter was PC only.

13. m98custom1212 macrumors 6502

I have brought three computers in last few months.. Yes they do come with Word and Excel only... Which is what I said..

I brought office pro 2013 which includes onenote, powerpoint, access and few I use for work.

14. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

what brand computers, what version of word and excel?

15. lonewolfe60 thread starter macrumors newbie

I didnt mean penalized earlier. i guess i was meaning i didnt think they should exclude 2013 MacBook Air users just because we upgraded to the newest model before Oct. 1st.

16. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

i hear you, but i'm not sure I agree.
    You got in early - there are pros and cons of being an "early-adopter"
    Missing out on lower prices and deals like this are often the cost associated with getting the item first!

17. lonewolfe60 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes I agree, I see what you are saying. I think i was just dissappointed because you could buy any mac after Oct. 1st and get i work for free. I would understand if it was just the newer models they were doing it for.

18. jdechko macrumors 68040

Sometimes the sense of entitlement exhibited on this forum is unreal, though. I'm certainly not saying that you feel entitled to free stuff. Being disappointed isn't the same thing as entitlement.

I completely understand your position. I got my Air in July, so I was disappointed too when it was limited to after Oct. 1. A fantastic machine, to be sure, but free iWork would have been icing on a cake full of awesome.

Honestly, though, I won't be surprised if Apple makes iWork completely free to everyone in 2014. After all, they gave Mavericks away regardless of whether (or how much) you have paid since SL.

19. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Doesn't Apple want to displace Microsoft? They are trying to get rid of GoogleMaps. Why not give iWork away, once people get used to it, they may go, hey I don't need Office$$ after all! Hook them in.

20. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

They are giving it away. The trial versions of iWork 09 are being automatically upgraded by Mavericks.

21. AXs macrumors 6502a

AXs

They've acknowledged they are aware of this, but it's not because they're being extra charitable. It wasn't updating for some people who bought iWork, so they made it extra available... So people who are getting the software from "unethical means" will also be upgraded to the latest full version.

22. halledise macrumors 65816

Hamilton Island, Whitsundays, QLD Australia
    I've a 2013 11" Air and all those 3 apps are free for me ;)

23. Tlamaki macrumors newbie

I got my Air on October 1st and I got my free iWorks copy :D

24. Sarsoman macrumors newbie

I bought my MBA in early September and was given iWork for free around a day after I upgraded to Mavericks.

Since I've already got Office 2013 for PC and Office 2011 for Mac, I doubt that I'll even use iWork very much, but it's certainly nice to have.

25. yliu macrumors regular

I don't understand why iWork is not free for everyone.

Eventually every mac owner is going to get a free copy of iWork. Why does apple want existing ownder to pay for them? it's not like they can't afford it.