Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Firestar

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 30, 2010
221B Baker Street.
I just saw a commercial for an album by Jackie Evancho (American Idol Top 4). I am posting this because many were disappointed when she lost to Michael Grim.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
I just saw a commercial for an album by Jackie Evancho (American Idol Top 4). I am posting this because many were disappointed when she lost to Michael Grim.

I wasn't. She has a whole life before her, the other guy, well... he didn't. She is already famous and can make a bigger name. So, I bet people decided to let both win, although she won't see her triumph until a bit later in life.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
"Dream With Me" in stores now and it's beautiful!

I first learned about Jackie Evancho around the time of AGT and then my memory was refreshed when word came out that there would be a duet with Susan Boyle, another of my favorites, on the album. My initial intention was to simply download the duet from iTunes but then I listened to the samples of all the tracks and was hooked. I preordered the album from iTunes and have been enjoying it ever since it came out a week or so ago.

Sorry to sound like an advertisement, but this little girl really has a remarkable vocal ability and they did a nice job with this album. Worth a listen if you like classical crossover music and/or you just appreciate the beauty of a soaring soprano voice. Favorite tracks of mine include a cover of Sarah McLachlan's "Angel," "Ombra Mai Fu" and "Imaginer." This last one has fantastic piano work by another gifted young artist, Conrad Tao.

absolut_mac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2003
Dallas, Texas

Actually, as pointed out by Clix_Pix, she was on America's Got Talent and NOT on American Idol.

I love the sound of her voice. Like Susan Boyle it not only sounds beautiful with amazing tone and control, but also so natural and effortless.

Regardless of genre, very few singers sound as good. For those of you who love the sound of an excellent soprano, I highly recommend Elly Ameling.

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
She's a CHILD, for crying out loud. Let her have a childhood. I guarantee if you rip that away from her she will be much worse off than losing a silly competition.

She has an absolutely beautiful voice, much easier on the ears than Sarah Brightman or Charlotte Church, but I agree.. it seems like her parents are pushing her. Let her be a kid, for crying out loud.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
In looking for something else I ran across this thread so guess I might as well post an update for anyone who is interested....

Jackie Evancho has just released a new album, "Songs from the Silver Screen." It's, as the title suggests, various songs from films, and Jackie treats them in her own unique way. The one which sounds most like classical crossover is her version of "Se," from "Cinema Paradiso," sung in Italian. It's lovely, as is the entire album.

But wait -- there's more! One true gem that does not appear on the US/UK versions of this album is the bonus track recorded specifically for the Japanese market: Jackie sings in Japanese! The song is "Moon Over a Ruined Castle" (loose English translation) and it is truly lovely, especially the piano interlude.

This young girl (now 12 years old) really has a stunning, stunning future in front of her.....

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Well, gee, it's 2016, almost 2017, and time for another update on Jackie Evancho! As many will have seen in the news, she is going to be singing the National Anthem on January 20th, Inauguration Day, as part of the swearing-in ceremony of the new US President.

Anyone who wonders at the "creds" a sixteen-year-old has to sing this difficult song only need check out YouTube, where there are several examples of Jackie doing just that. Unlike many singers, she allows the song itself to shine and sings it with sincerity and respect -- with perfect pitch, time after time -- and doesn't engage in a lot of extraneous vocal gymnastics the way so many singers seem to do when faced with this challenging song.

Jackie hasn't been idle since her AGT days. In fact, she has been very busy over the past several years, continuing to do concerts around the US, special appearances on television and at both public and private events, plus preparing and recording new material. Her 2014 album "Awakening" is still out there on store shelves but this holiday season there is now "Someday At Christmas," which is primarily a compilation album of songs she has done with others, but also includes a couple of new previously unrecorded tracks as well. She also appears on others' albums, including a couple of tracks on Placido Domino's "My Christmas" album from 2015, a recording of "Happy Xmas (War is Over)" on Peter Hollens' new holiday album, "A Hollens Family Christmas," and a track of "Ave Maria" with Vittorio Grigolo. For me, a highlight of this album is "Little Drummer Boy", sung with Italian trio Il Volo. Jackie and Il Volo recently appeared together to sing this wonderful version on the "Today Show."

In the works is another new album which will probably be released in two or three months, and it will include primary, original material written by Jackie herself as well as others. To be called "Two Hearts," it will reflect Jackie's continued love of classical-crossover music as well as her explorations into pop.

(No, I'm not Jackie's PR person, I'm just an enthusiastic fan!)

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Well, gee, it's 2016, almost 2017, and time for another update on Jackie Evancho! As many will have seen in the news, she is going to be singing the National Anthem on January 20th, Inauguration Day, as part of the swearing-in ceremony of the new US President.

Anyone who wonders at the "creds" a sixteen-year-old has to sing this difficult song only need check out YouTube, where there are several examples of Jackie doing just that. Unlike many singers, she allows the song itself to shine and sings it with sincerity and respect -- with perfect pitch, time after time -- and doesn't engage in a lot of extraneous vocal gymnastics the way so many singers seem to do when faced with this challenging song.

Jackie hasn't been idle since her AGT days. In fact, she has been very busy over the past several years, continuing to do concerts around the US, special appearances on television and at both public and private events, plus preparing and recording new material. Her 2014 album "Awakening" is still out there on store shelves but this holiday season there is now "Someday At Christmas," which is primarily a compilation album of songs she has done with others, but also includes a couple of new previously unrecorded tracks as well. She also appears on others' albums, including a couple of tracks on Placido Domino's "My Christmas" album from 2015, a recording of "Happy Xmas (War is Over)" on Peter Hollens' new holiday album, "A Hollens Family Christmas," and a track of "Ave Maria" with Vittorio Grigolo. For me, a highlight of this album is "Little Drummer Boy", sung with Italian trio Il Volo. Jackie and Il Volo recently appeared together to sing this wonderful version on the "Today Show."

In the works is another new album which will probably be released in two or three months, and it will include primary, original material written by Jackie herself as well as others. To be called "Two Hearts," it will reflect Jackie's continued love of classical-crossover music as well as her explorations into pop.

(No, I'm not Jackie's PR person, I'm just an enthusiastic fan!)
Stalker!
Are you on 10% as her manager? ;)

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Young Ms Evancho did fine today! Not perfect -- but then again, I imagine it was rather intimidating having four former presidents plus one brand-new president right behind her as she sang, not to mention a bunch of other dignitaries and important people in the immediate audience...... And then there was the vast crowd out on the lawn and on the Mall in DC, not to mention the many who were watching this event around the world. Pretty heady stuff for a sixteen-year-old girl! :)

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Young Ms Evancho did fine today! Not perfect -- but then again, I imagine it was rather intimidating having four former presidents plus one brand-new president right behind her as she sang, not to mention a bunch of other dignitaries and important people in the immediate audience...... And then there was the vast crowd out on the lawn and on the Mall in DC, not to mention the many who were watching this event around the world. Pretty heady stuff for a sixteen-year-old girl! :)

Agreed. She did a fine job.

Reactions: JamesMike
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.