Jail Breaking

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by EarthMLG, Feb 7, 2013.

1. EarthMLG macrumors newbie

I told by my friends that jail breaking is a great thing for my iphone 4, but I still don't understand jailbreaking. Also I need some up to date info about jailbreaking also what are the pros and cons.

2. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

Pros: Tons

Cons: Can cause phone to be unstable and require a restore / re-jailbreak - not very common.

3. Demonface macrumors 6502a

It's worth the risk .

4. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

I also think it is worth the risk.

5. AFDoc macrumors 68030

What is this "risk" words you guys heep using in regards to jailbreaking? This isn't OiPhone days when it took actaully re-writing lines in the phone to jailbreak and making one little mistake COULD brick your phone.

Give it a shot, there is NO risk, if it "messes up" simply connect to iTunes and hit restore.

6. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

What we mean by "risk" is - you may need to restore your iPhone if something goes wrong.

7. Fatalbert macrumors 6502

You said it was great without knowing what it is?
    Anyway, the only risk is a little wasted time and maybe a wasted battery from installing garbage. Wasting your battery wears on its overall lifespan. Not worth it for those who can't be careful.

8. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

And while this is inconveniencing if you end up having to do it, at least your device still works and you can restore all your info.

9. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

Yes - this is true!

10. EarthMLG thread starter macrumors newbie

my friends said it was great

11. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

It is!

12. EarthMLG thread starter macrumors newbie

doesnt it expose my iphone to viruses and my privacy info

13. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

Not by simply jailbreaking it.

14. EarthMLG thread starter macrumors newbie

does it slow down my iphone

15. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

not by simply jailbreaking - if you download bad tweaks/apps/etc it can - also some features may slow down your phone very slightly - cannot really notice it.

Always fairly easy to undo.

16. labman macrumors 604

labman

I suggest you do some of your own research 1st. I'm not being rude the more you learn about it yourself the better off you will be. Iclarified and Lifehacker are one of many great resources besides the many threads here.

does it slow down my iphone (it can it can also make appear faster)
    doesnt it expose my iphone to viruses and my privacy info (1st one almost never 2nd one possible changing the password in openssh will fix that if you use it.
    last if you don't like it you can remove the jailbreak it's not permanent worst thing you can do is just start installing everything in cydia. that's where allot of people run into problems conflicts between apps and tweaks.

17. Fatalbert macrumors 6502

Oh, your friends told you. Misread the post.

----------

A few things:

Jailbreaking itself has no risk, but you may risk wearing out your battery if you install stuff that uses more processing power and therefore more current. Theoretically, software can destroy your speakers, but I doubt anything out there does that.

Jailbreaking has some great advantages, but it's more advantageous for some than it is for others. For anyone who is much more tech-smart than average (talking about the American average here), it has at least one perk. For many, it's a bad idea. I always jailbreak.

There is some instability brought by jailbreaking alone, despite what most people say. Rarely, the phone will crash and go into safe mode even without any tweaks installed.

This is totally unconfirmed, but I feel like jailbreaking by itself slows the device down a tiny bit. It also installs stuff like MySQL when you jailbreak, so it's not like jailbreaking only installs Cydia.

Jailbreaking DOES NOT open your phone up to viruses, but it does allow you to use Cydia, which can give you Trojan Horses if you download from really sketchy repositories. You can also install OpenSSH from Cydia, which allows people to gain control of your device over the network if you do not change the root password! If you install OpenSSH, change your password! Cydia itself is harmless, but it lets you download anything. In addition, there is some honest software that is as bad as malware, slowing your phone down and causing instability because it's programmed badly.

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You should stay stock. JB is not for you.

19. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

If you know what you are doing; otherwise, stay stock.

20. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Jail-Breaking is for everyone as long as they carry out the following....

Homework on what JB is, and how to carry out the process.
    Homework on what tweaks are available and what they do.
    Homework on a tweak before downloading it ref compatibility issues.
    Homework on what to do if a glitch/issue happens.

The obvious keyword being "homework" ;)

21. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Well said.
    But most dont want to do the legwork or others are not up for the challenge at all.

22. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

Are you looking for some added functionality from your phone (tell us what that is) then JB might help.

The best rule of thumb is read a lot, and take it slow. Only instal one or two tweaks at a time.
    Cydia is the "app store", it is not as "idiot proof" (no offense) as the official app store so you just need to do your homework.