Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hfred

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 15, 2004
Sorry if this has already been discussed but I am still a bit confused when I read other peoples posts.

I have an iPhone 4 that I have jailbroken with 4.0 using that jailbreakme.com site. I want to upgrade to 4.1. Can I? Do I need to do anything special other then upgrading in iTunes?

Thanks for the help!

RobinHo0d

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2010
Don't update in iTunes.

Use the Shift+Restore and select a downloaded 4.1 firmware. You should also use Tiny Umbrella so you can unlock your phone on 4.1

hfred

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 15, 2004
My iPhone 4 is not unlocked do I need Tiny Umbrella? Why no upgrade in iTunes?

RobinHo0d

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2010
Well if you're willing to update your baseband then I guess you don't need Tiny Umbrella. I recommend it though.

And what I mean by don't "update" in iTunes is don't press the "update" button.. use the "restore" button and press SHIFT while doing so to choose a firmware you downloaded.

fishmd

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2008
Sunny South Florida
You can use iTunes alone unless you want to preserve the ability to unlock your phone. If you are on AT&T you may think, who care, I don't need to be able to unlock my phone. The reason why some people want to be able to do this though is for resale value. If you sell a phone that is unlocked for use on other carriers other than AT&T, you usually will make a lot more money on it.

If you upgrade directly through iTunes, you will not only upgrade your OS, your baseband will also upgrade. This newly upgraded baseband will not allow the phone to be unlocked via any current software hack. That is why some people keep saying to use another program called TinyUmbrella or TU. If you use this, in conjunction with iTunes, you can bypass the otherwise automatic baseband update, thus preserving your ability to be able to unlock the phone in the future. :cool:

hfred

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 15, 2004
so if i will never unlock my phone am i safe to update if i download the frimware and shift click upgrade?

Brannon

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2009
So can i Jailbreak iPhone 4 on 4.1 without having a tethered reboot??

Yes or no! Thanks!

And how!? using what?

xxBURT0Nxx

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2009
Nobody knows the answer to your question. Yes you will have to wait for a new exploit to be found and them to create the unlock but they may never find a way to unlock the new baseband so take the gamble if you want. Obviously you don't care for the unlock but think about if you ever sell it or give it to a friend who needs the unlock. I'd say 75% of people looming to buy used iPhones want them for the ability to jb and unlock for use on other carriers, at least around this area.

hfred

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 15, 2004
I'm still confused...can I upgrade in itunes if i download 4.1 from another source?

iUser4Lyfe

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2009
I'm still confused...can I upgrade in itunes if i download 4.1 from another source?

If you don't care about an unlock or you are willing to wait until the new baseband is unlocked (They will work on it however its not 100% that it is possible) then update through itunes and use limera1n to jailbreak.

xxBURT0Nxx

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2009
If you have a Mac you can't do the jb. Waiting til you upgrade to 4.1 is irrelevant. There is NO jb program written for Mac. Use a pc or bootcamp or wait until a new tool for Mac comes out. Simple.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Sorry if this has already been discussed but I am still a bit confused when I read other peoples posts.

I have an iPhone 4 that I have jailbroken with 4.0 using that jailbreakme.com site. I want to upgrade to 4.1. Can I? Do I need to do anything special other then upgrading in iTunes?

Thanks for the help!

You can but you will loose the unlock state, possibly for ever.

xxBURT0Nxx

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2009
Well that's only going to work on ios 4.0 or 4.0.1 so not sure what it's relevance is here.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
so if i will never unlock my phone am i safe to update if i download the frimware and shift click upgrade?

I went thru itunes.
Was jb using with jailbreakme on 4 iphone 4s, downloaded pkgbackup and backed up all the cydia apps, backed up the current ios.
then updated and synced thru itunes
limera1n
loaded cydia, rebooted and redownloaded pkgbackup
restored thru pkgbackup
after pkgbackup my phones looked like the did prior to using limera1n, everthing was in its own folder, same pages, all my email accounts were restored even my exchange accounts.
did this for 4 iphone4s.
We are on ATT so baseband isnt an issue for us.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.