Jailbreak alternative

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DD4, Mar 10, 2011.

1. DD4 macrumors newbie

Is there any other way to unlock and jailbreak my iphone than using that garbage called "Cydia"?

2. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

3. InsanelyApple macrumors 6502

InsanelyApple

Jailbreak it yourself. You don't need a program to do it. Good luck. :D

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

NO, there used to be, but Icy developers sold themselves to Cydia. Also, Cydia is not garbage.

5. DD4 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sure is. Complete. I've never seen another iphone app as poorly designed, buggy or crash-happy.

6. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

What a unique and thoughtful response... I don't think I've ever heard that one before.

Not to be snarky, but you get what you pay for. If there were a viable, stable, reliable alternative that was pay, I'd be first in line.

7. shakeman0 macrumors 6502a

shakeman0

Cydia could be much much better, but for now, it gets the job done. Jailbreaking isn't really about Cydia. It is about what is on Cydia. If you would like a better version, you could always code one yourself. I'm sure the entire jailbreaking community would appreciate it.

To answer your question, no, there is no way to unlock without jailbreaking.

8. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

cydia is that just an app store that is installed once you jailbreak it doesnt do the jailbreaking, once you jailbroken you can install themes, tweaks and apps others ways cydia just acts like an app store

9. nukem170 macrumors member

If you dont like it you can code a new one yourself. :)

10. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

I have NEVER had Cydia crash on me. Maybe you are running 1.1.4 or something. Upgrade and be like the rest of us. You don't like it? Code a new jailbreak yourself. Happy coding!

11. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

Who cares? I haven't opened Cydia since the first 30 minutes after I jailbroke my phone. Jailbreak your phone, use Cydia to install the apps you need, and then never open it again.

What's the problem?

12. DD4 thread starter macrumors newbie

THAT is the problem. It doesn't work, ever.

13. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

Really? Ever?

Here's the thing: Out of all the millions of people who use Cydia, you're the first person to ever claim that it "doesn't work, ever". All iPhones are exactly the same, so if this is really the case for you, you're doing something wrong. You didn't do the process correctly, or there is something wrong with your phone.

The other option (and the more likely one) is that you're just being overly dramatic and a little bit whiny. That's fine, but if that's the case, don't waste people's time on this forum, and go and code your own jailbreaking software. It's not that hard, right?

14. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Cydia has nothing to do with the act of jailbreaking your phone. It's just a store and installer. You don't even need it to install apps/tweaks/themes, etc. You can easily find the deb's online and use the command line for that. It takes a lot longer but you can.

I'll give Cydia one thing, it used to be a crap load worse. The latest update is actually pretty decent. It still takes about 30 sec to download the releases and reload the data but that's it really. This version has not once crashed on me.

I just wish it had was filters in the changes section. I don't care about a thousand crappy themes. Also, the other thing that bugs me is that it doesn't use the multitasking API's.

15. TheMacBookPro, Mar 13, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2011

TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

If you think that you use Cydia to jailbreak, then you're probably better off not jailbreaking at all.

Otherwise, if you're smarter than you sound, code a new jailbreak yourself. :rolleyes:

Disable the Themes tab in Sections (sections>edit>turn the sections you don't want Off). It removes all the themes from Sections and Changes.

It doesn't use the mt APIs and doesn't support Activator commands to prevent errors from occurring during installation [of apps] or something like that.

You can use Backgrounder and set it to automatically lock Cydia into memory if you want.

16. COSWORTH macrumors regular

Cydia takes forever to load data, download release, download packages, download catagories, reload data again, check for updates, and reload again.