Jailbreak and unlock 3G on 4.0

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by strikingviking, Jul 6, 2010.

1. strikingviking macrumors member

I have already updated a 3G to 4.0 and now want to jailbreak and unlock. Is this possible? I've read this forum but most situations refer to iPhones not yet on 4.0
    Thanks

2. MrThompsonR macrumors 6502

MrThompsonR

Yes, I believe a program called Redsnow will JB and Ultrasnow will unlock it?

3. Sptz macrumors regular

Sorry to invade the thread but felt opening a new thread would be a waste as the question is pretty similar. I've upgraded my 3G to iOS4.0 as the OP did, is it possible to unlock only? Not jailbreak.

4. 1984world macrumors 6502

1984world

I'm pretty sure you have to jailbreak in order to unlock.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You cannot unlock only.
    You first need to JB and then install the unlock program thru cydia.

6. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Your unlock is gone, you can now only jailbreak.

7. Sptz macrumors regular

Really? hm... Anyone that JB'ed knows if it's slower or something than the original firmware?

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It only gets slower if you load a bunch of packages that run constantly in the back and if you install themes, custom wallpapers and icons, lockscreen stuff etc..
    If you just JB and only install ultrasnow to unlock you shouldnt notice much lag.

9. Sptz macrumors regular

Im sorry im being paranoid, but even without any background running packages etc it "MAY" be slower than the original? I'm just saying because when I JBed with 3.1 I believe, battery life was comp[letely drained out and performance was sluggish as hell. Now that I've gone 4.0 original it just snaps.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Give it a try, if you dont like it go back to stock firmware.
    Just make sure you dont enable multitasking or homescreen wallpapers thru redsnow cause that could slow it down also.
    Only way to really tell is to try it.

11. ltsching macrumors member

If the iOS is already updated to 4.0 on the 3G, would one need to download the 4.0 firmware and follow the instruction as indicated in iClarified that Applejuiced linked to? In other words, can I just use RedSn0w for jailbreak without going through updating the iOS again? Thanks.

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, you can skip that part and just run redsnow to JB it if you're already on official 4.0

13. Sptz macrumors regular

Oh... wait a second? So I cant unlock now? Not even if I JB?

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You can.
    I think jav was confused :)

15. Sptz macrumors regular

phew! ok haha. Btw, you said that if the iphone has already the ios4.0 official installed then you can just JB with redsn0w without restoring. How's so? redsn0w still asks you to load a firmware... should I load which one? The one that itunes downloaded?

16. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

If you are already on official iOS 4 firmware, what would be the point in doing the same thing again, you can skip that part.

Just run Redsn0w.

17. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes. Just point redsnow to the 4.0 ipsw for your device.

18. Mrjynx macrumors member

Word of Advice

Don't enable the multi-tasking and all of the other "non 3g features". I've done it and at first everything was wonderful, but now, everything has gone to hell for some reason.

There is so much lag I can barely even answer phone calls in time, I actually have that Crank ring tone that sounds like the phone is dying, well now when it rings it LITERALLY sounds like it is dying. My co-workers actually think it's hilarious, but it sucks when I actually have to answer the bloody call..

But, funny none the less :)

Trust me, multitasking, background wallpaper is terrible on the 3g, just use it for the unlock and thats it. For once I'm actually saying to keep it the way they intended it to be (other than the unlock/minor jbreak).

19. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Well said.

20. strikingviking thread starter macrumors member

Now jail broken and unlocked via ultra snow. The recommendation was not to install multitasking so I didn't. All is well and it was an easy process even for a novice like me. Thanks for the input folks.

21. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Great :D
    So how is it so far?
    Slow, fast, quicker than stock 3.1.3?

22. omni macrumors 6502

Joining the not wanting to start a new thread bandwagon

Have a 3GS with 05.13.04 firmware running 4.0 that's never been jailbroken before. Getting an iPhone 4 and wanting to unlock the 3GS to give to a relative in china. Impossible now? Can I go back to 3.13 or whatever last version was, unlock it and update to 4? Not sure if they will even care that it is 4.

Thanks in advance, I know you guys get slammed with these questions nonstop

23. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

This thread is about 3G phones, your 3GS is entirely different.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=961908

24. JH- macrumors 6502

I've found a way to make multitasking work wonderfully on 3G. I had all the same problems you guys have been having when I first jailbroke and enable multitasking and homescreen wallpapers. I restored to a stock firmware and then once again jailbroke and enabled multitasking, installed cydia, but did nothing else. Then I downloaded backgrounder and remove recents. I used backgrounder to set global backgrounding permissions to off, with exceptions for Safari, Pandora, and other apps I actually use. This way apps I just open, such as settings or clock, don't keep hogging memory. My phone has been working like a champ ever since.