Jailbreak blocking pirated apps (Jailbreak Piracy)

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by DouchGod, Oct 7, 2010.

1. DouchGod macrumors regular

DouchGod

If anyone follows the Dev teams on twitter you would of seen some debates about people using jailbreaks to pirate apps via Installous.

It was even said on one of the devs twitter accounts that the jailbreak would block the use of such apps. This being said led to much heated debate.

I personally don't agree with stealing peoples apps and i use my jailbreak to run apps that enhance my iPhone such as lockscreen or Wi-Fi Sync, which i have purchased via Cydia.

There is an "Epic" post here http://hackulo.us/forums/index.php?/topic/90803-blocking-installous/ which comex posted on his twitter account.

What do you guys think?

O yeah, turns out they are not going to block such apps.

2. dongwe macrumors member

3. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

4. MasterTick macrumors 6502

I agree, these aren't big companies you're generally stealing from, it's a broke college student pouring hours and hours into an app. And these losers can't even fork over a dollar.

5. PhantomZone macrumors 6502

I'm sure Saurik could block warez repos via Cydia if he wanted to...

the hackulo.us forum is hilarious....we're not stealing, honest, we're just trying before buying....fook me who are they kidding?

some real retards on that 'Blocking installous' thread...between boys claiming it'll end jailbreaking if done and other muppets claiming to have bought 2600+ apps ( roflmao ) it really is priceless :rolleyes:

6. c206 macrumors newbie

where is that blocking installous thread??

7. PhantomZone macrumors 6502

8. doodude macrumors regular

doodude

Thoze kooky kidz, ah-ight yo!

Seriously (sort of) one poster threw up a stat that made me wonder.
    The stat was that only 10% of iPhone owners jailbroke! And while I'm sure that poster & his stat were potentially accurate, I wondered if anyone had anything close to an idea as to what % of iPhone users actually did Jailbreak their iPhones.
    Anyone here care to speculate?

9. dgstan macrumors 6502a

As long as we're speculating, I would guess it's far less than 10%. Maybe 3%. I wonder if the Dev Team could tell us how many hits there was on jailbrakeme.com and how many times there code was successfully executed?

10. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

It make no sense to me to break Apple's Jail just to get into another different Jail.

11. Cinemagic macrumors 6502

But, to jailbreak the iPhone, a legal act, is to give the user complete control of his device. If the user commits an illegal act, such as installing pirated apps, then it is the the user's liability. But to have Saurik block every pirated repo, or only allow his repo to be acessed is like have a second app store with Saurik as the second Steve Jobs. I don't think (I hope, at least) that this is Saurik's philosophy. If Saurik did block other repos, then someone would simply re-write the jailbreak adding another Cydia. Determined people usually succeed in their efforts.

You cannot prevent people from commiting crimes. Whether if be to install pirated apps or using the iPhone to make a drug deal.

Pirated apps are bad, but so is censorship.

12. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Just to clarify, I believe this thread is about the team who is publishing the next jailbreak and them possibly stoping you from adding pirating sources. This thread is not about should you or should you not pirate. Please correct me if I'm wrong. If you want to talk about "Do you pirate", then try here.

I couldn't agree more. It should be my choice to pirate or not. My only reason to jailbreak is to remove the restrictions placed upon me from Apple. Apps like LockInfo, which I pay for, make me more productive. I don't need some hacker getting on his soapbox telling me what is best for me, even if I agree with him.

13. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

I don't think I would care if the Cydia Installer prevented me from adding known pirate sources.

This would not stop pirates anyway because you can install any deb file from the command line using apt. Cydia Installer is just a GUI to apt.

S-

14. Jetaray macrumors member

I seriously doubt the team publishing the next jailbreaks even care if people pirate iPhone apps. Public statements are a simple CYA remarks incase the crap happens to hit the fan some day. If they did they would only share their elite knowledge with close friends.

15. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

You would be seriously wrong!! Many of the guys on the team sell applications.

S-

16. jkeating2005 macrumors regular

On another note, Bring that Jailbreaking is allowing the user to take Control of their phone, I don't believe that Any steps will be made to block piracy. Its really a shame that it happens, but it does and if they started trying to block piracy, the Pirates(ARRRRGGGGHHHHH) would just find another way to do it. essentially it would just be another cat and mouse game!

17. durawraps macrumors member

jailbreak is not for the purpose of piracy, but it cannot prevent it either.

18. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

Nothing can prevent piracy but that's not the issue. The issue is making it more difficult. Both the JB developers and Cydia could make it more difficult but they have decided not to.

19. MajesticNJ macrumors regular

MajesticNJ

I jailbreak to get "freedom" not to get "free".

20. PhantomZone macrumors 6502

indeed...and as has been already mentioned, since most devs actually make money from the JB apps, why isn't it made harder? Its hardly a different 'jail' just because illegal material isn't facilitated!!

Let the thieves make their own Cydia......anything to waste their time!!

21. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Cydia is APT front end, the Jailbreak is suppose to Break Apple's Jail, not work should go into trying to sandbox user (even when i agree with the intentions) there is so much potential that can be exploited to wasted on something that is going to be work around anyway.

22. freedevil macrumors 6502a

freedevil

Seems like most people beating the 'pirates suck drum' here act like they've never done anything illegal online. Its there if you choose to use it, if not then you come on here and act almighty. I love installous, they put in a lot of effort.

23. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

Scourge of the earth....thieves.

S-

24. Maverick1337 macrumors 65816

Maverick1337

I've never used installous before but doesn't it let you download files straight into your iPhone? I mean there must be some good uses for that feature not just for pirating right?

25. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

Nope.....

S-