Jailbreak for 4.2.1 not out yet? besides tethered version?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by DaZe3, Nov 27, 2010.

1. DaZe3 macrumors member

Im new on jailbreaking guys.. what is the difference between a tethered version and untethered version? and is the untethered version out yet?

2. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

tethered = must be plugged into computer to reboot
    untethered = can reboot without being plugged in

And no, the 4.2.1 jailbreak isn't out yet for an untethered boot on new devices (iPhone 4, iPhone 3Gs[newer], new iPod touch).

3. DaZe3 thread starter macrumors member

ty for info.. was there any word when it will be out?

4. yanr macrumors newbie

No, there is no news on when it will be released. If you ask any of the developers, they will just tell you, "when it's ready". Just stay patient, I'm sure they'll come up with something in due time. I'm sitting here on 4.1 waiting as well :) .

5. DaZe3 thread starter macrumors member

bad thing is im impatient.. but alright thanks guys

6. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

Patience really is a virtue when it comes to jailbreaking. Why are you in a rush? What are you living without from 4.2.1 that will significantly change your life?

I want it too, but 4.1 is solid as a rock for me. All in good time...

7. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

I wouldn't rush it either. People are already complaining about programs not working and apps not showing up in 4.2.1, so I'll wait on 4.1 until more things are ironed out.

8. DaZe3 thread starter macrumors member

lol its not gunna change my life haha.. but it seems with a jailbroken iphone it makes the fone more... personalized? if u wanna say.. i just wanna try it.. my brother has a android and u can kinda do whatever u please.. apple should lighten up on such a strict patent.. so i figure to change a couple things

9. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

The good news is that two of the most used apps just got updated (MyWi and My3G). There's only a few things I can't use yet but they aren't deal breakers for me.

10. bli625 macrumors 6502a

bli625

You can personalize it on 4.1...

11. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

Good news for people who do use them but I never have. I know people have been having issues with Winterboard which is a biggie for me.

12. labman macrumors 604

labman

I'd say being untethered is pretty big for me! :p

13. jpetticrew macrumors 6502a

jpetticrew

Me too! I'd go back to stock before I went for a tethered JB.

14. redman042 macrumors 68030

redman042

I'm not holding my breath for something any time soon. These things usually take many weeks after an OS release. Apple is constantly making it harder. Plus we are in the midst of a holiday weekend and I suspect the jailbreakers are busy with their families and haven't been working on this over the last few days.

15. TJone macrumors 6502a

It seems like Apple is increasing the frequency of iOS releases too lately to make it more difficult for jailbreaks and unlocks to keep up with firmware and baseband updates. I read somewhere that 4.3 may be released in December. I am in no hurry to update though. On 4.1 my IP4 has never been more stable and battery life is great lately too.

16. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

lol no kidding!

The increase frequency (that it have actually just been a bit faster) have nothing to do with "jailbreaking", Apple doesn't dedicate any resource to for it, they have been releasing some really crappy version lately (my guess is that some of the iOS team have been working on the Springboard layer for OSX lion) and in order to correct this issues they have to release new firmware since they don't really "Patch" current releases

17. outz macrumors 6502

i wish that was my case. i was going to exchange my iphone 4 due to the never ending proximity issue, and the 4.2 came out the same day as my appointment. i figured the apple store would just want me to try out the update anyway, so i went ahead and canceled my appointment and freshly installed the new iOS on my phone. it's hard to believe, but so far no more proximity issues. i really miss my jailbreak though.

18. EricBrian macrumors 6502a

EricBrian

Can somebody give me the link to the jailbreaking site? I am new to it and want to read how to do it.

Thanks! :)
    Eric

19. TJone macrumors 6502a

Interesting - recent iOS releases have been more buggy lately than I would have expected. It seems like the proximity sensor issues should have been ironed out a while back but it is good to hear with 4.2.1 relief is in sight. The new baseband requirement is interesting too. I wonder if we will see a new baseband update with 4.3, if that does arrive in December. I will still stay on 4.1 and ignore the proximity sensor issues until a good 4.2.1 JB comes along.

20. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

iPhone Dev Team Blog

21. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Really? Can you remember the last time you had to reboot or it crashed when out and about? I can't.

22. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

http://tinyurl.com/bgsa92

That wasn't too difficult.

http://tinyurl.com/2u3mllw

23. EricBrian macrumors 6502a

EricBrian

24. Cinemagic macrumors 6502

I don't see 4.2 doing anything for the iPhone that 4.1 doesn't do. And all 4.3 will do is let you pay Apple $0.99 a week for something Google News gives you for free. I hope the Chronic DevTeam waits for 4.3 at least. No sense giving up an exploit for an untethered JB for 4.2. At least that's how I see it.

25. The Highlander macrumors 6502

If 4.3 gives nothing.. why wait for 4.3?

Really as it looks.. 4.2.1 is an awesome update and untethering it would be gold rightnow.