Jailbreak issue on Verizon iPhone 4

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by polbit, Jul 6, 2011.

1. polbit, Jul 6, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2011

polbit macrumors 6502

polbit

I decided to try jailbreakme.com on my brand new (3 weeks old) iPhone 4 32gb, 4.2.8. Cydia installed fine. I then installed SBsettings, which work fine. However, if I attempt to change anything that requires a reboot, the phone gets stuck on Apple logo. I tried this twice now, had to do a full restore...

So, what gives? Is there anything I need to check, do, etc? Thanks for any pointers!

Polbit

2. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

Are you sure a full restore was necessary? I did my VZ iphone 4 and had similar issues, stuck on logo screen.. but resetting the device one or two times brought me through to the other side with success.. now that Cydia has established itself things are a lot less buggy 18 hours later.

3. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Same exact thing happened to me, but I was away from my computer so I could not restore, so instead I just let it sit on the apple logo and eventually it rebooted. After a couple more power+home button reboots it is running great from jailbreakme with winterboard and all the other fun stuff

4. polbit thread starter macrumors 6502

polbit

Yeah, I tried the whole process again, and this time let it sit for a while on the Apple logo. Lo and behold, it rebooted itself and it's been working great since then...

Polbit

5. psywzrd macrumors 68030

I'm surprised jailbreakme even worked on a verizon iphone - I didn't see anything about it being compatible with 4.2.8 or any other Verizon firmware.

6. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

i use PT4.2 to jb my VIP4...never given me a problem.

7. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

Funny, it says it's compatible right on the iphone dev team's site. You know, the people that released the jailbreak? http://blog.iphone-dev.org/

8. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Who's that?

:D

9. psywzrd macrumors 68030

Thanks smarta$$. When I read the article about it (not on the dev team's website either), it clearly did not mention anything about the verizon iphone 4 - it only said 4.3.3. It looks like the info has now been updated and it does mention that 4.2.8 is compatible. Next time don't be such an a$$ about it and assume that you're smarter than someone else. I know what I read yesterday and that info was not there.

10. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

Yes it was. That's why i jb yesterday at 1:pm...

11. polbit thread starter macrumors 6502

polbit

Well, my phone now keeps rebooting every 5 min or so, even after uninstalling SBSettings and iFile, the only two apps I installed. Enough of this crap, when I get home tonight I'm restoring it and waiting for iOS 5, I need a phone that actually works...

Polbit

12. psywzrd macrumors 68030

Like I said, it was not mentioned in the article I read. I'm sure a lot of people assumed that it would be compatible, but I certainly did not since the jb for the verizon iphone seems to lag behind a bit. Anyway, I'm glad it's working for some people but it seems to be a bit buggy for others.

13. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Restore, and then restore from backup, and jailbreak with Redsn0w. Jailbreakme.com is unstable because it was a rushed release.

14. Tech Elementz macrumors 6502

^ That can work. If the above does not work, you can try following the video tutorial below with jailbreaking via a custom firmware from sn0wbreeze. If you get a 16xx error from restoring to a custom firmware, you have to run iREB rc4.

Here is a video tutorial to show you step by step: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLhQJlnRKCI

Here is the download link for snowbreeze: http://www.mediafire.com/?9egcofqxqh2hk7q

Here is the iPSW firmware for iPhone 4 iOS 4.2.8 OFFICIAL: http://bit.ly/mDa7m1

Here is the iREB download: http://hotfile.com/dl/108923557/18f7493/iREB-r4.zip.html

15. SSpiro macrumors 6502a

SSpiro

16. jcxstar13 macrumors newbie

yup

I had the same issue, I had my phone jailbroken on 4.2.6 and everything was fine then the jailbreakme came out yesterday and it was super easy with the ipad so i figured i would update my phone and use it. Well I came to have the same problems that you are describing above. Long story short the jailbreakme is not compatible with 4.2.8 right now, it will crash and then wont reboot without some tweaking. So you will still have to jailbreak with pwanage tool or rendsnow on windows.

17. polbit thread starter macrumors 6502

polbit

Seems like a lot of work, jailbreakme.com was just too easy not to try...

I guess I'll play with rendsnow over the weekend, see what happens :)

Polbit

18. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

Smarta$$. You should of read it from dev team's website. Why? Because it's made by them!

19. KoukiFC3S macrumors 6502a

I tried to jailbreak my VZN iPhone 3 times using jailbreakme.com.

All 3 times I've had issues. Phone would take forever to boot, apps wouldn't install or wouldn't work.

20. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

24 hours after using jailbreakme.com my Verizon iPhone 4 has settled down immensely. No crashes since a phone call early this morning; I think Cydia is just fine, but some of the mods are not as friendly. Having good success with winterboard as well. Just eliminate your mods and then add them again one by one, discerning which are not so stable and which are good. I was concerned about all the restarts yesterday and the time spent on the welcome screen, but all that has passed and it takes about ten seconds to respring with anything now.

21. polbit thread starter macrumors 6502

polbit

I only had SBSettings installed, and it still kept rebooting, etc. And it's not like you need to "break-in" a jailbreaked phone :) It's not a car.

Polbit

22. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

Well, it is day 3 now and phone is stable like new only better. I say look to your jb apps. That's your trouble imo.

23. Pd1 macrumors newbie

I'm also having issues with 4.2.8 and jailbreakme.com -- I can see Cydia installing, but then the app icon just disappears. Any suggestions? I was on 4.2.6 and just upgraded to 4.2.8 because I thought this would be a clean/simple process. I guess not! :)

24. patp Guest

i also experienced some rebooting issued at first, but today all is well after a few restarts.

Bitesms gave me a whole bag of hurt. Deleted it and now everything seems to be fine.

25. BrandoFiasco macrumors member

Just jailbreak it manually using pwnage tool, i thought it would be difficult at first but its actually super easy. I used that for my iPhone and its as stable as stock. No problems.