jailbreak upgrade

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by frikkyco, Jan 31, 2008.

1. frikkyco macrumors member

Ok, seriously, all the jailbreak methods for 1.1.3 I've seen involve downgrading the firmware to 1.1.1. What is everyone thinking we'll do when Apple has update 1.1.9? How many downgrades will we have to do? When will there be a jailbreak for 1.1.3 that was as simple as 1.1.1? That was a no brainer. Now you have to go through 89 steps it seems. Does anyone know if there will be a simpler way to jailbreak 1.1.3? Sorry if I sound bitter, I just spent 5 hours today doing a mobile upgrade that said I wouldn't lose any apps. I did, then I lost my music, then I spent an hour on the phone with Apple because iTunes doesn't recognize my Touch. It worked for 2 hours and now it doesn't recognize it again. I just want a simple way to jailbreak, anything in the horizon? By the way, don't bother with ijailbreak.com's mobile firmware upgrade. It screwed my entire Touch. It's boring now and I'm sad. Thanks.

2. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

Download the 1.1.1 firmware here:
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=S0UTN1R5

DOWNLOAD IT IN FIREFOX OR IT WON'T WORK

1) Restore to 1.1.1 by plugging your touch into iTunes, wait a minute, hold down the power and home keys until the touch disappears from itunes. At that second, release the power button.

2) Hold shift and click Restore. Select the 1.1.1 firmware you just downloaded.

3) Let it restore, then visit jailbreakme.com on your touch. Click Install AppSnap. Let it install.

4) Download iJailbreak from www.ijailbreak.com

5) Run iJailbreak. Click Jailbreak.

Voila. 1.1.3 jailbroken from 1.1.1.

3. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

make sure you have iTunes 7.5 before trying to downgrade as iTunes 7.6 likes to be mean and go sorry you cant downgrade

4. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

Actually, if done exactly how I say, this is possible with 7.6.

5. Xenn0X macrumors regular

you can still dopwngrade on 7.6 itunes. just need to go in other recovery mode of ipod touch.

6. frikkyco thread starter macrumors member

downgrade?

Thanks for the instructions. I've seen these before, but you've put them quite simply. However, Seeing that I screwed up and upgraded to 1.1.3, I decided to just pay the 20 bucks and get teh apps from Apple. At this point, I'm just missing my themes and some games to have on the go. I'd prefer not to lose waht I have again after paying for it. If I follow your steps to downgrade, I suppose this means I'll no longer have 1.1.3 firmware, is this correct? So, I have to ask, does anyone think someone will have a jb method that directly does it without having to downgrade? To me, this would make things easy, especially as Apple continues to come out with more upgrades and such. Why stay in 1.1.1 forever? Thanks very much everyone.

7. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

well the problem is all jailbreaks for 1.1.3 require an already jailbroken touch so either way u look at it you will have to take the plundge and downgrade IF you want to have themes back on 1.1.3

8. frikkyco thread starter macrumors member

Lamina...

If I follow your instructions to downgrade to 1.1.1, does this mean that I'll lose everything that's been updated with 1.1.3? So basically, I'll be starting from teh beginning again, is this right? And then I can use Installer to upgrade to 1.1.3? Oh, I payed for the 20 buck Apple software, will I lose that too? Just checking. I'm still hoping there will be an easy way to upgrade without always having to downgrade, but maybe I'm hoping for too much.

9. frikkyco thread starter macrumors member

Pc

By the way, I'm on a PC. Will Lamina's directions still work?

10. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

yes, it does work on PC, but if it dosent, you may need to run the Iphuc meathod

11. Slip macrumors 6502a

Slip

Word on the street has it that there's another JB method that's native, that is, not requiring it to be pre-jailbroken, and that should be here after the SDK release.

12. frikkyco thread starter macrumors member

Thanks Slip! I hope that you're right and there will be new jb method. Perhaps I'll just wait for that and live with what I have for now.

13. pizz macrumors regular

I'm finished with the jailbreaking. I've been getting so many syncing errors I just decided to install clean 1.1.3 and wait for SDK release this month. The SDK will make these 3rd party apps legit so you have to void your warranty anymore or go through all that hassle.

14. frikkyco thread starter macrumors member

Well, Lamina's step-by-step instructions work like a charm. Very easy! But, I must have downloaded a corrupt 1.1.1 firmware file. I got to that step and it had some problem with it. I wasn't able to get the file she had the link to. I can wait for the sdk too I think as long as Summerboard will be available. I miss my icons.

15. ~~Hello~~ macrumors 6502

I'm having problems. I had managed to jailbreak my ipod touch fine, but then it started locking up when using vt100 and going weird. Anyway I restored the ipod, installed 1.1.3... Now I didn't realise at the time that you have to downgrade to 1.1.1 , jailbreak and then install 1.1.3.

The problem I'm having is that I've restored it to 1.1.1 with the help of the instructions. I've added the source, and tried to install the upgrade, it says that I need the bsd subsystem installed. I go to install that, but then I get the same message. I need the bsd subsystem to install the bsd subsystem... hmmmm

Can anyone help me on this?

Edit: I've fixed it! But I'm still having problems. Theres now an icon on my screen called "ijailbreak" I click on it and it began processing, but it threw up loads of errors. Now it won't do anything! What have I done wrong?

16. MurphyM macrumors 6502

When following lamaina's instructions could you still play DRM protected stuff you bought from iTunes when you were done?

17. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

The upgrade through installer.app requires that you be at a jailbroken 1.1.2 with BSD subsystem (version 2+ IIRC) ... In other words, you can't start from 1.1.1 ... Confusing enough?

To summarize: jailbreaking using iJailBreak on your Mac requires you to be at either 1.1.1 or 1.1.2, jailbroken. Using the installer.app 'Official Dev Team' jailbreak requires you to be at 1.1.2 (NOT 1.1.1!) jailbroken with BSD subsystem installed.

18. Slip macrumors 6502a

Slip

I was in your exact position a week a go and decided to have one las ditch attempt at getting to 1.1.2 and finally managed to get back, I wrote a little guide if you want, it's linked in my blog.

19. dagored macrumors 65816

Slip, nice guide. However, the ijailbreak you suggested has DRM problems and does not play nice with Summerboard.

The Conceited Official 1.1.3-3 upgrade in the Installer, is the one to use as of yesterday. No problems with it. Just trying to help.

20. Slip macrumors 6502a

Slip

I'll update it ;)
    Cheers

21. frikkyco thread starter macrumors member

ijailbreak

I'm still waiting to see what the sdk will offer, hopefully we can load the cool themes I lost. I realized that when I had 1.1.1 jb'd, I used the ijailbreak.com method. Downloaded fine to the touch, ran through everything, after about 40 minutes it stopped and my touch freaked out. I lost most everything. I had to completely uninstall iTunes and reinstall it and also completely restore my touch, which at that point iTunes automatically put 1.1.3 on it. I was considering using Lamina's method, but stopped because of the problem I had with ijailbreak. Anyone else have luck with it? If so, any tips? I'd prefer not to spend 4 more hours restoring everything including my music. Thanks!

22. ipodtoucher macrumors 68000

ipodtoucher

23. frikkyco thread starter macrumors member

And the ZiPhone download works for the Touch too? Just checking. Thanks!

24. Slip macrumors 6502a

Slip

Nope. iPhone only I'm afraid

25. frikkyco thread starter macrumors member

ZiPhone

Well Crap! After reading updates on ZiPhone thing, it said it worked for the Touch too. It totally looked like it was working, but got held up on the BSD root ... part. I had to stop it, but then I had to restore my Touch. Now iTunes doesn't recognize my Touch and it's continually in recovery mode.

I've googled, but if anyone has a brilliant way to get my Touch out of recovery, please help. I've restored it like 3 times, called Apple and reinstalled iTunes. Still, nothing. Now my Touch really is a paper weight. Crap! I need a drink.