Jailbreaking a 3GS on iOS4 to use on T-Mobile

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by TJone, Aug 2, 2010.

1. TJone macrumors 6502a

I bought a iPhone 4 and now I want to give my older 3GS to my friend to use in Germany. I just used jailbreakme.com and it worked well. I am not familiar with how this process works though. Can my friend now take the phone to a T-Mobile store in Germany and set up service (it had been set up on AT&T)? Is there anything else that needs to be done? Also, can she use the same SIM card? Also, I want to reset it to delete the data (I think I use the option to reset all content and settings). Will resetting remove the jailbreak and she will have to repeat that again? Thanks a lot.

2. ohaithar macrumors 6502a

ohaithar

You have to wait 1-2 more days to download an unlock from Cydia.

3. TJone thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. mustnotsleep macrumors 6502

above poster is wrong, unlock is already out under ultrasnow for 3gs.

5. TJone thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks - I just tried ultrasn0w but it says 'the requested modifications cannot be applied due to required dependencies or conflicts that cannot be automatically found or fixed' depends firmware >= 3.0

6. ohaithar macrumors 6502a

ohaithar

7. MotherFinMike macrumors regular

MotherFinMike

The issue with ultrasn0w is that you lose mms an unable to edit the apn

(ultrasn0w for the the 3gs was available yesterday )

8. mustnotsleep macrumors 6502

9. ohaithar macrumors 6502a

ohaithar

10. TJone thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the info - it is still giving me this message though (I just tried the instructions from that website)...
    'the requested modifications cannot be applied due to required dependencies or conflicts that cannot be automatically found or fixed' depends firmware >= 3.0

Maybe I am doing something wrong...

11. mustnotsleep macrumors 6502

i just searched 'ultrasnow' and clicked it and it unlocked yesterday. not sure why it would give you dependency errors.

12. ohaithar macrumors 6502a

ohaithar

You probably have a different bootrom...

13. TJone thread starter macrumors 6502a

I just rebooted and tried again and it worked! Thanks :)
    Now my next stupid question: if I want to reset and delete all the content will that remove the jailbreak and ultrasn0w unlock - my friend will have to repeat all this and does she need my ATT sim card? I want to send it to her so she can sync it up with her iTunes when it gets there. Thanks again

14. ohaithar macrumors 6502a

ohaithar

Yes it will, you will have to remove all your info manually. Cause once it does that you will have to plug it into iTunes to restore.

15. TJone thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks - maybe I will try resetting it, installing iTunes on my new computer (without any information yet), syncing it up, jailbreaking it again, and running ultrasn0w again.

16. MK25toLife macrumors regular

I am in a similar situation, I got a 3GS and I unlocked with ultrasn0w last night.

Are there any settings I have to change on the iPhone itself to ensure that my phone can work on another carrier either here in the US (T-Mobile) or in another country?

I guess my question is what do I do now that the phone is actually unlocked?

17. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

Nothing. Just pop the new sim card in (like T-Mobile's) and you're all set.

18. ohaithar macrumors 6502a

ohaithar

Pop in a T-Mobile sim and find out

19. TJone thread starter macrumors 6502a

I just reset and synced up to a new copy of iTunes without any data and put ultrasn0w back on again. So, mms won't work now for my friend? It is not critical but would be nice to have the ability...

20. TJone thread starter macrumors 6502a

bump... anyone know if messaging and mms will still work once the 3GS is on T-Mobile with ultrasn0w? Thanks :)

21. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Your phone will work fine as a phone but the data will not work until you make apn setting changes for the new carrier. You can get these settings from a number of sources one of which is help.benm.at select your country and carrier and download the settings.

22. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

if you want to ensure you delete everything from the phone you should restore it to Stock 4.0.1 from Itunes. Set it up as a new phone activate it with your sim card and then do the JB and Unlock again. We are in a very unusual situation where it is actually possible to do this. It may not be in a few weeks time, and you will be doing the person receiving the phone a hugh favor.

23. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

You can get the ability to see and manually edit the apn under Cellular data network by editing the carrier.plist file on the phone using openSSH.

24. TJone thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sorry I am such a newb but does that mean my friend will not have any data services until she manually changes her apn settings if she plugs in her T-Mobile SIM in Germany?

25. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

That is correct. It is a very simple change which can either be done manually or by downloading the correct settings from a number of web sites. Itunes also have the settings for official carriers so If Tmobile Germany is an official settings they can be downloaded from Itunes.