Jailbreaking Advantages

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Borja1055, Nov 5, 2010.

1. Borja1055 macrumors regular

Are there still any advantages to jailbreaking? What are the Pro's and Con's of jailbreaking? I am mostly concerned with the negatives...Thanks

2. sic2five macrumors member

Positives:
    d/l youtube videos
    facetime over 3g
    bitesms
    wifi sync
    wifi connection sharing
    sbssettings
    tons more...

Negatives:
    None so far... might run just a bit slower but it's hardly even noticeable.

3. esadb macrumors 65816

esadb

No negatives.. Only negative would be perhaps that once a new update comes out youd have to wait a week or few before you can update when the jailbreak comes out for it.. So i guess you dont become a guinea pig to test new releases.

But none the jailbreak is perfectly fine and gives a lot more advantages!

4. getatkyill macrumors regular

I myself have a jailbroken iPhone 4 (v4.1), however..doesn't the facetime over 3g app drain your internet usage or is there a way around that?

Just asking as I lost out on my unlimited data so using the limited 2GB.

5. nyisles84 macrumors regular

I can't find the link, but I remember a study was done with data usage on 3g facetime calls and it actually wasn't bad at all.

6. Borja1055 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks

7. esadb macrumors 65816

esadb

Now these are Canadian data results, others may vary ;)

http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/iphone-news/how-much-data-does-a-3g-facetime-call-use-on-rogers/

8. mpossoff macrumors 68020

9. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

You have to devote many ongoing hours reading message boards in order to keep up with the latest news and stay educated on how it all works. The countless threads started by people who didn't know what they were doing and got stuck in some way can attest to that.

And no, it's not that it's impossibly hard but it IS a negative to have to devote time to all that stuff.

That's the reason I don't jailbreak. I already have to do that kind of stuff for my Mac. I'm not interested in making my phone work the same way.

10. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

This is a very common question/concern for first time Jailbreakers, You will find people in both sides of the matter, it will all depend on their personal experienced, those who got a real bad experienced will tell you to stay away from it, that is dangerous and it will slow down, crash and make your device unstable, those with great experiences will tell you that is not negative side of it. Well...who is right? they both are....

Jailbreaking give you freedom, give you total control over your device, what do you with it will yield a positive or negative experience, if you give a sport car to a 9 year old I am pretty sure he will crash it and maybe even kill himself, if yo give it to a 75 year old guy, he will drive it so slow that it will me almost a waste, the key is to find a middle point.

key to success, is read, research, understand what you are doing, make sure you install only application from "known" developer with previous records, don't go crazy installing everything under the sun, support the developers (don't pirate apps, most of this guys are single developers or small teams working on their spare time), Follow basic rules of security (Change defaults passwords, use strong passwords, Backup, backup backup All the time, save your SHSHs), don't be afraid of trial an error, if something goes wrong, a firmware restore is not a bad thing.

Feel free to ask any question, you can check out this FAQ for more details on Jailbreaking.

Jailbreak FAQ and commonly use Terminology + Guides

11. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

12. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

For the record, I think Maturola's advice is the best. Just because I pointed out a single negative that doesn't mean it's a negative experience. (I just reject the idea that anything can be 100% perfect and am compelled to point that out.)

13. SL4VE macrumors 6502

14. Scuby macrumors regular

For my iPod touch, there are two advantages (for me):
    - i can connect a bluetooth GPS to it (obviously built-in to iPhone so probably not important for you)
    - i can prevent the iPod app from locking when it's connected to my in-car interface

Not found any disadvantages (apart from potential faff when it comes to upgrading the OS), but haven't JB'd my iPad just because i don't see any advantage to that for me.

David

15. getatkyill macrumors regular

Those studies actually look pretty good, maybe I'll re consider and download my3g :cool:

16. ivan300 macrumors member

There is one huge disadvantage.....

You will be so interested in new apps and modding that it will consume your life and turn you into a hermit :)

17. Simm0nS777 macrumors 6502a

I dont know how complicated it is for you, but I jailbroke for the first time on 4.0. It took me 30 seconds and that was that. Never spent hours upon hours doing anything that had to do with jailbreaking. :confused::confused:

18. esadb macrumors 65816

esadb

I agree. The hours you spend reading and researching is maybe if your doing crazy amount of customization.

Even finding stuff on cydia has become very painless.. and easy if you read the description what each app/package does..

19. iSaxon macrumors 6502a

iSaxon

I can download YouTube videos and I did not jailbreak my device. I think jailbreaking decreases the battery life of the phone too. I think jailbreaking is great, but I wouldn't trade a long lasting battery to do it.

20. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I thought Maturola's advice was very good and just in that one post he mentions a half-dozen things that would require further research. (For example, "Save your SHSHs.")

Looking up 6 different things? That's probably an hour's worth of research right there, at a minimum. And it could turn into much more.

And that's just to get started. Not sure how you did all that in 30 seconds.

21. maturola, Nov 5, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2010

maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

That's a myth, my battery life is better once I am JB due to me having control over the Wifi and 3G with 1 click (well more like a swipe + click). The reason some people get battery issues is for the reason i described on my previous post.

IMO, It does required time to read and research (I would NOT consider that by any means a Con or negative, the more I know the better, but them again I am a geek), now maybe "hours" is a bit of a stretch, but it will all come down to your level or conform and technical background, if you have never deal with linux/Unix/OSX system before, if you don't understand how software works and if you still have issues with Spyware all over you windows machines them JB maybe take several "Hours" for you to get it. (and to be honest, I think those people should just stay away from it).

22. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

That's more what I mean when I say it's a "negative."

Not in the sense that it's bad for everyone, but in the sense that there are some people who shouldn't waste their time on it. "Not for everyone" = "a negative" in my book.

I'm certainly not trying to discourage anyone. If someone finds it easy, then it's probably good for them and this issue is not really an issue for those people.

23. Savage macrumors 6502

Savage

Your phone will become an ugly mess. A con that outweighs any pro, in my opinion.

24. jaeguyoon macrumors regular

I used to be all about jailbreaking.

But recently not so much, and I haven't jailbroken.

Part of the reasons are

I got the flashlight app that tehters (altho I rarely use it I do use it and its nice to have during that emergency situation)

I also got MiTube so I cna download youtube videos on to the phone.

I never was into themes, wallpaper is fine for me.

I did love facetime over 3g, but now I have a sprint overdrive, I do it in the car during traffic regardless of jailbreaking

I just got Skyfire so I'm ALMOST content with my iPhone.

The only thing I ask for from Apple is custom text tones. Altho I'm sure it's not going to happen for awhile.

And everytime I jailbreak and update comes out, I hate the waiting.

25. shandyman Suspended

plus jailbreaking voids warranty, so you can screw yourself over there.....