Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
I've never jailbroken my devices, but I'm very close to doing it for these totally legit and highly useful reasons.

*Custom email alert sounds (one stock email alert sound? Lame).
*OPTION to stop SMS popups completely (privacy issue. Alert badge suffices).
*Disable display rotation (Mail & Safari auto rotation is annoying while in bed) *SOLVED
*Protect or hide apps (for privacy without having to lock my entire phone)
*Unlocking (for travel)
*5 apps in the dock (no scrolling to get back to my most used apps) * I can live with folders in the dock for now.
*Disable camera shutter sound (for when I'm in restaurants etc) * The silent mode isn't available in Japan.
*Other custom alerts sounds wanted
*Custom startup screen (just for something personal)

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
I jailbreak to add tweaks and enhance the features of my phone. Will never download anything illegally.

uneek1

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2009
OP, there is an option to stop auto rotate for non jailbroken phones FYI. Just go to multi tasking and swipe right, the option will appear.

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
i will jb so i can use facetime over 3G. but now im
on 4.1 firmware. :(

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
OP, there is an option to stop auto rotate for non jailbroken phones FYI. Just go to multi tasking and swipe right, the option will appear.
Nope. Mail and Safari still rotate. And.... even if it did work, I wouldn't want 30% of my real estate taken up by the multitasking UI.

jpetticrew

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2009
Texas
Nope. Mail and Safari still rotate. And.... even if it did work, I wouldn't want 30% of my real estate taken up by the multitasking UI.

If mail and Safari are still rotating, then you have a problem, because when you have portrait oreintation locked, nothing will rotate. Also, after you enable portrait lock, just close the multitasking bar. It's not supposeed to stay open all the time.

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
You should see a little lock icon in the status bar when the portrait orientation is locked. That's how you know the lock is in effect.

If mail and Safari are still rotating, then you have a problem, because when you have portrait oreintation locked, nothing will rotate. Also, after you enable portrait lock, just close the multitasking bar. It's not supposeed to stay open all the time.

Jetaray

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010
Rollingstone, MN
I've never jailbroken my devices, but I'm very close to doing it for these totally legit and highly useful reasons.

*Custom email alert sounds (one stock email alert sound? Lame).
*OPTION to stop SMS popups completely (privacy issue. Alert badge suffices).
*Disable display rotation (Mail & Safari auto rotation is annoying while in bed)
*Protect or hide apps (for privacy without having to lock my entire phone)
*Unlocking (for travel)
*5 apps in the dock (no scrolling to get back to my most used apps)
*Disable camera shutter sound (for when I'm in restaurants etc)
*Other custom alerts sounds wanted
*Custom startup screen (just for something personal)

Good for you, but in all honesty I really think the majority who jailbreak will use it to defraud a carrier (un-authorized tethering) or load cracked applications. No real proof, but just like the original XBOX was hacked to play pirated games (can also be used as a cool media center) a jailbreak has done the same for iPhone apps. Even in this forum tethering an iPhone illegally is rarely frowned upon and openly discussed. People here promote a paid for app that allows people to defraud the carrier. Pay one person so you can steal from another.

For me I simply wanted an easy to operate iPod touch, but found out during my research I could buy a used 16GB iPhone for less and get the added feature of a phone to use on T-Mobile.

I applaud those with high moral standards and don’t use a jail break for out right stealing. Enjoy your custom setups because one day it will end. Microsoft has done a very good job of stopping most custom software from running on their latest generation of hardware (XBOX 360). They did fail to stop pirated game play. Someday Apple will do the same, but I suspect it will take a hardware change to lock the phone completely.

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
My bad...I wasn't doing it correctly...above poster said to swipe right but didn't say anything about the circular arrow icon. I always thought that icon had something to do with iTunes LOL. Found out what it does after visiting the iPhonefaq web site. Thanks. At least that's ONE option down in the wish list.

If I could get these features natively then I could wait for the other features.

*OPTION to stop SMS popups completely (privacy issue. The alert badge is good enough for me).
*Protect or hide apps i.e. Address Book (for privacy without having to lock my entire phone)
*5 apps in the dock (no scrolling to get back to my most used apps)
*UNLOCK for travel (not Apple's fault)

megadon

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2008
I wanna know what % of people have 100% of their music from legit sources.
I doubt it's as high as people claim on here.

applebook

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2009
Apple already goes to extreme lengths to prevent hacking, but if it's manmade, then it can be hacked. People thought the PS3 was bulletproof. Until Geohot proved them all wrong. I have not JB yet, but when I do, it will be for legit customizations. I actually use few non Apple apps anyway.

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
You can already put 48 apps in the dock using folders. Is this not enough?
I don't want folders because you have to open them. I want fast access. But I guess I can live with the folders to try and stay away from JBing.

Put your phone on silent using the switch on the side.
Nope...that feature is DISABLED in Japan due to up-skirt bandits. Not Apple's fault.

Would be sad if I ended up JBing just to have this feature though. It's VERY annoying to not be able to be quiet when taking photos.

OK so some of you have helped me out in round about ways so I'm down to these main features I am finding difficult to do without.

*Option to stop SMS popups completely (privacy issue. I'm ok with only having the red balloon alert badge).
*Camera shutter sound. (There is no silent mode in Japan). Not Apple's fault.
*Custom email alert sounds.

I guess all in all, the iPhone is pretty damn sweet if this is all I'm looking for and not all of it is Apple's fault.

doodude

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2009
pssst, look behind you...
There will always be an element that will use 'xyz' for nefarious reasons & IMO it's a bit naive to think otherwise.

People steal music, movies, apps & everything from phone service to utilities to cable.
Regardless of what they tell you, a great number of websites, Facebook for one, sell you email address &/or personal information. Websites now have cookies that reproduce themselves after you've deleted them so that they can gain your web histories.

Politicians & organizations are corrupt & individual persons can be unbelievably cruel & dishonest.

Stealing apps & services is wrong, but I'm afraid it's down the list of real concerns at the moment...

Arrrrrr, now pass me a bit of ale & sing me another, matey.

Fliesen

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2010
Austria
gotta love them creepy Japanese ;)

but i mostly agree with your list (these being some desirable features) i JBed my 2G and 3G, but refrained from doing so on my iPhone 4 ... not worth it to me, really. I'd just end up cluttering my iPhone with too many tweaks etc.

The only thing i REALLY really REEALLLY miss is lockinfo :(

about the JB == piracy issue.

It's pretty similar to the whole 'Guns don't kill people, people kill people' ... at the end of the day, the gun (jailbreak -> installous) allowed for the kill (pirated app)

and the percentage of people jailbreaking exclusively to use installous is quite high from what i've read

TruckdriverSean

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2009
Texas, US
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

The irony of the jailbreaking=piracy argument is the fact that ANYONE can fill their iPhone or iPod with pirated music right now...

...NO jailbreak required!

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
Simple statistics

Although not every one with a jailbroken device is a pirate; but, according to analytics, a significant percentage of jailbroken devices do contain cracked apps from non App Store download sites. Maybe as high a half (not all!), depending on whose statistical methods you believe.

This is infinitely higher odds compared with non-broken iOS devices.

Do you park your car in neighborhoods where nearly half (not all!) of the residents are ex-felons on parole?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.