Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wikoogle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2009
I've jailbroken every single iPhone I've ever owned and I've never pirated a single app. :)

I've spent several hundreds of dollars on apps and never pirated even one. What's the point when the apps themselves individually usually only cost .99 cents? I like to support developers, and pirating apps is too much of a pain to do especially when they're so inexpensive to buy. How much is your time worth really? It probably takes you 15 minutes to track down a cracked version of a app you want online, download it and get it on your phone. If you spent that 15 minutes working overtime, you'll more than pay for the cost of the app. Besides, by pirating an app, you miss out on all the updates made to the apps in the future.

Jailbreaking enables tons of awesome functionality aside from piracy.

More importantly, jailbreaking enables you to unlock your phone greatly enhancing it's resale value. Every single time a new iPhone came out, I bought it at launch and sold my existing iPhone on ebay for 450+ dollars to international customers where iPhones are more expensive. The only reason I was able to was because the phone was unlocked and well taken care of.

Fliesen

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2010
Austria
http://smellslikedonkey.com/wordpress/?page_id=274

just one example, but i wouldn't believe 'TapFu' has anything special about it so one couldn't consider it a significant example of how common app store piracy is.

People on these forums are nerds, so we do believe that talented coder nerds should receive proper reward for their efforts, i suppose.

But there's still loads of people that asked me about "you know if the iPhone 4 is jailbreakable yet? Not upgrading until i can get installous on it". As a matter of fact, of the 5 iPhone owners i know, one's not really tech savvy, therefore doesn't wanna jailbreak at all, 3 jailbreak exclusively for installous.
That's just my experience, others might know more legit people.

Noone's saying 'every jailbreaker is a pirate', but in fact, every _app store(!) pirate_ is a jailbreaker.

noone's claiming that jailbreaking doesn't free your phone from its stock iOS chains. Still, for plenty of people it's just for the sake of piracy, that's just the cold hard truth :(

wikoogle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2009
Those stats are inaccurate.

My friend has an iPhone, an iPod Touch and an iPad.

Whenever he buys an app, he downloads it to all of his apple devices.

As far as TapFu's deviceID stats are concerned, 1 person bought the app and two people pirated it.

When in fact, one person bought the app and is using it on all three of his devices.

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
I JB'd only to change the look/functionality of my phone. All apps I have I've bought. While I'm sure there are others out there that will JB just to use pirated apps, I don't see any need for that. Always find it amusing how some people are willing pay $300+ for a phone, maybe $50-$100 for case(s) but won't shell out a whopping 99 cents for an app.

Armeniandave

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2010
San Diego
The problem with the app store is that there is no trial or way to get a refund consistently.
I've bought several apps that seemed good but really didn't work the way they said they would. This is one reason people use install0us.

I will always pay for an app that works as it should I just hate paying for apps that I end up deleting five minutes later!

Abscissa

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2010
VA
Always find it amusing how some people are willing pay $300+ for a phone, maybe $50-$100 for case(s) but won't shell out a whopping 99 cents for an app.

I think that's why some people pirate...People are like well I spent $300 for this device, who cares if I steal something that's only 99¢?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.