Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LostParadox

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 16, 2011
I just got a new iPad 2 16gb WiFi Only. Can i jailbreak that and what are the benefits of jail-breaking?

chris2k5

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2010
I can be a jerk and tell you to search but....

You can jailbreak by going to jailbreakme.com wijth your iPad 2. Just follow the directions there.

Jail breaking let's you do tweaks and install apps you wouldn't have access with via Apple.

vega07

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2006
Its currently on 4.3.5 going to try to jailbreak it shortly

Sorry to burst your bubble but FW 4.3.4 and above cannot be jailbroken. You're out of luck ATM. You will have to wait until a new exploit comes out.

Mickeylittle

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2010
I'm on 4.3.3 so am good there but have a Mac. So can I still go to Jailbreakme.com? Also, this isn't a tethered jailbreak is it?

Thanks

Ratatapa

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2011
Yes just go to jailbreakme.com on 4.3.3 to JB it.

But keep this in mind

Apple Doesn't sign 4.3.3 anymore so if you didn't had your shsh saved like 3-4 weeks ago you can still JB it but if your iPad crash and you need to restore it will restore to 4.3.5 and loose the JB

NTeggerdine

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2011
Montrose Iowa
Sorry to burst your bubble but FW 4.3.4 and above cannot be jailbroken. You're out of luck ATM. You will have to wait until a new exploit comes out.

He could be waiting a while to. I don't really see a new JB option coming out until iOS 5 is released but who knows I could be wrong. :apple:

sbddude

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2010
Nor Cal, USA
I'm on 4.3.3 so am good there but have a Mac. So can I still go to Jailbreakme.com? Also, this isn't a tethered jailbreak is it?

Thanks

no it's not tethered.

the tethered jailbreaks are only for 4.3.4 and 4.3.5 on the iphone/ipad1. Ipad 2 is not jailbreakable on 4.3.4 or 4.3.5.

LostParadox

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 16, 2011
what firmware are new ipad 2's shipping with?

i bought mine a week ago and it came with 4.3.5 so i guess I'll have to wait until iOS 5 releases and hope a new Jail breaking method comes out for it

Jungiii

macrumors member
May 16, 2011
Interesting, i bought my Wifi, 16gig iPad2 yesterday 8/8/11 and it was 4.3.3. JB'ed it.

Eternal 28

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2008
Interesting, i bought my Wifi, 16gig iPad2 yesterday 8/8/11 and it was 4.3.3. JB'ed it.

Where did you buy your iPad 2 at? Because most retailers like best buy and walmart have older stock, unlike Apple they get shipments everyday which would lead to an iPad with 4.3.4 or 4.3.5.

mhockey91

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2011
I just got a new iPad 2 16gb WiFi Only. Can i jailbreak that and what are the benefits of jail-breaking?

benefits of jailbreaking

- cool themes
- free apps (if you download installous)
- custom boot loaders
- tweeks

disadvantages

-slower
-more lag
-VOIDS WARRANTY!!!!!!!!!

if i were you i would not jailbreak you ipad unless you want your ipad to look like something else and want free apps but its slower and since its brand new your warranty will be voided so if anything bad happens your toast

zaxdude

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2011
disadvantages

-slower
-more lag
-VOIDS WARRANTY!!!!!!!!!

if i were you i would not jailbreak you ipad unless you want your ipad to look like something else and want free apps but its slower and since its brand new your warranty will be voided so if anything bad happens your toast

huh? ur kidding, right? folks, don't drink the kool-aid on this one....

maximus96

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2007
-VOIDS WARRANTY!!!!!!!!!

restoring the firmware will make your warranty valid again, although you might no longer be able to jailbreak after that...

haven't experienced any slowing down/lag on every jailbroken idevices i've owned.

Ratatapa

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2011
I do agree that mine was a bit slower after jbing it

Also slow and lag is a synonym hehe

Void's warranty???

For the last time YES AND NO

If your stupid enough to go return a JB iPad to apple store for repair, sucks to be you.

The real thing that would void a warranty would be to open the iPad to change the inner components.

That is all

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.