Jailbreaking sure is confusing

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by cowbellallen, Feb 23, 2011.

1. cowbellallen macrumors regular

I just used greepois0n to jailbreak my Verizon iPhone, and after about an hour of toying with it I'm deciding to restore it.

This stuff is confusing as hell. I don't know what any of these terms mean or how to do this properly. I'm no longer tech savvy it seems, cause I feel pretty defeated at this point. Cydia is so confusing to use and is taking forever to load. I'm told that I need to download mobileterminal to change the password from 'alpine', but it crashes everytime I try to do it.

I don't know how you guys do it, this stuff doesn't make any sense.

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

That's not how the experience should be. Try reading the guides on here.

3. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

That's what I'm afraid of myself. It's why I avoid jailbreaking. Maybe I'm just old.

I'm not looking for any features that aren't already in the regular iOS. If there's anything I'd like, it's an LED notification light somewhere on the phone to show there are new emails or something. Not going to happen though, I've already accepted that.

4. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Jailbreaking is straight forward and Cydia is really easy to use. There are tons of videos on youtube on how to jailbreak and use Cydia.

5. DDustiNN macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

I found jailbreaking to be ridiculously easy (using greenpois0n). The first time I opened up Cydia, I hated it. Now that I know how to get around, it's much better though. But it's definitely not very new-user-friendly at all.

Don't give up though... there are so many cool things in Cydia. Go to the "Sections" tab at the bottom and browse around. You'll be surprised at all of the cool tweaks you find.

Installing is very straightforward - find an item you like, click install. Then it will give you the option to install it right now (which will most likely either reset Cydia or your entire Springboard) or "Continue queueing" which is your best choice if you want to keep looking. This will just keep adding things you want to install - then when you're done, go to the "Manage" tab at the bottom, click "Queue" and you can install all of your selected packages at once.

Once you install a package, it will either add an icon (if it's an app) or a menu entry in your Settings app. However, some tweaks don't add anything for you to do yourself (like Cyntact, for example - this just does what it says, no options or apps involved). You can also remove any Cydia-installed package from your Cydia --> Manage --> Packages.

Hopefully that helped get you on your feet at least ;)

6. EastCoastLove macrumors member

Cydia sucks. Rock was a lot better. Does anybody actually for their apps? I find a way to get them all for free.

7. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Cydia used to suck. It's much better now.

8. svenn macrumors 6502

I totally agree with you. The whole process is a huge pita. Fortunately I only use a couple apps, and I have everything working ok for me right now. I have been holding off updating because I don't want to have to configure everything again. I also hate cydia's ui. It takes a huge time investment to become comfortable with all of it.

9. labman macrumors 604

labman

yes I pay for my apps Devs deserve to be paid for there time and efforts. regardless if it's the App store or Cydia. if they price the app to high then I don't buy. most are the price of a pop or a happy meal. :rolleyes:

10. Annerz macrumors regular

I jailbroke my phone too and I feel the same way but I don't want to restore it. I've just been reading about cydia and I'm trying to learn. good luck! :]

11. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

Gee whiz, according to you then pwnagetool would be nearly impossible. :eek:

12. dave420 macrumors 65816

I think you only need to change the password if you install OpenSSH. Instead of using mobile terminal to change the password I just use an SSH client on a computer or another iPhone to login to the device to change the password.

13. labman macrumors 604

labman

to me jailbreaking is well worth it I wouldn't have a iPhone with out it being jb. it does require a little effort and it's not for everybody. People that aren't willing to read a tutorial such as http://www.iclarified.com/jailbreak/ read forums or go on youtube and watch some videos. Should not jailbreak people come to this forum thinking we are supposed to hold there hand all the way through the process. So those that can't figure out the basics simply shouldn't jailbreak. Simply jailbreaking was never meant for everybody.

14. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Now you're talking crazy! :)

15. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

Seriously, I don't think you have any business at all doing this. You could use Google or bother to use the search function on these forums to learn what these terms mean.

How is Cydia confusing? Are you @#$#@ kidding me? You search for packages you want to install and either install them or remove them. If it's taking "forever" to load maybe there is an issue with the Cydia server today. Try back later.

16. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

Rock sucks!!!!! Cydia rules, and you don't know what you're talking about because I used Rock and their non standard way of doing things requiring my phone to be restored because of their BOTCHED installations.

I'm glad Rock is dead.

17. Xhita macrumors member

I got my first iPhone in Oct 2010. I did my first JB a couple of weeks ago. I only had one stupid issue since then, but it's now solved. I used this forum and www.iclarified.com to guide me along. Worst case scenario, I can always do a restore and have the iPhone back to the original settings, with no jailbreak setup. For those who are inexperienced, like me, I can only say: try it, you have nothing to loose. :)

18. kre62, Feb 23, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2011

kre62 macrumors 68000

Stop worrying about changing your password. Just don't install openSSH. If you need to put something on your phone, use iphone explorer or ifunbox, no SSH needed. That should take the complication out of it. I still don't know why people bother with SSH.

19. cloakedpegasus macrumors member

Thank god you're not in a teaching position.

20. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

He sees terms like "home button" and "power button" and it's game over.

21. Cortezbanks macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Haha. This is a joke right? Rock was complete garbage. I'm so glad Cydia absorbed rock and got rid of that terribly made store

22. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

Great. Just restore it and don't every JB. You don't even bother to search what the term means, which means you will end up here asking stupid questions that has been answered too many times.

23. svenn macrumors 6502

Everyone says to use the search to learn these things. The problem with that is the terms are used so often with the understanding that people are familiar with them, resulting in many many search results, but very few that explain wtf it actually means. As I stated above, it is very new user UNfriendly.

Maybe JBing is not for everyone, but if people come here trying to learn, it would be nice to encounter some people who are willing to help. I know there are some friendly people here who have answered some of my questions, but there are also a lot of people who take time to reply only to say SEARCH, or even paste mroogle. The time it takes to post that can be greater than simply replying to whatever question was posted since you undoubtedly know the answer off the top of your head.

24. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Why are you SSH? Cydia and winterboard are your friends.

25. applemagic123 macrumors regular

applemagic123

Millions of people jailbreak, and all of them were at one point a "noob" or someone who doesn't know much about the jailbreak world.

Just read up on it and watch some videos on youtube, there are millions of things you can do on a jailbroken iPhone which you previously would never have been able to accomplish.