"Jailbroke" 4S - Now What?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by hakr100, Feb 5, 2012.

1. hakr100 macrumors 6502a

Despite my trepidations, I successfully "jailbroke" my 4S without any issues that I've seen.

Now, is there any sort of "manual" or guide to finding, evaluating, installing and using apps to run under Cydia? Virtually everything I've seen assumes the reader already knows what to do and how to do it. Well, I don't.

Where do I, for example, find SBSettings? How do I download and install it? Is there a guide to using it? And that's just for one app.

Guidance, please.

2. TC25, Feb 5, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2012

TC25 macrumors 68020

Yes, this forum.

You learn by reading, not by asking other people to tell you what to do. There's an entire thread on the Cydia apps one member installed, what they do and why he installed them. Start there.

3. cathyy macrumors 6502a

Open Cydia and imagine it as an App Store for jailbroken stuff.

4. hakr100 thread starter macrumors 6502a

If you are referring to the long thread titled:

"My top jailbreak apps/tweaks & detailed list of why I have the ones that I do... "

I read that. I also downloaded and installed SBSettings, but have found the "documentation" for that app to be less than satisfactory, in that it assumes knowledge of lingo, terms, et cetera, that a newbie will not necessarily know.

For example, if I swipe across the top of the screen, I see the toggles for Airplane, Bluetooth, Data, et cetera, but I find no information on how to move or copy those toggles individually to my home screen.

It would be nice to have some sort of general manual for "jailbroked" phones and for individual apps rather than having to search through thousands of posts to hopefully find the nugget of info you want.

----------

Thanks, but that's not really responsible to my concerns about installing and using these apps. The descriptors and instructions for use of these apps is minimal if it exists at all.

5. Macdawgg macrumors newbie

TC-25 has a GOOD point!-I've found out the best way is to do a search in forums like this then go over to YouTube and look it up on video. You'll find alot of helpful info over there as well, that's what I've done. Jailbreaking is like a WHOLE new world when it comes to the I-phone. Look at it like this I have co-workers that have I-phones and one day one person saw my phone and wanted the same things I had(mainly themes) I asked them if I did it and they had problems who were they going to run to? Well you got it ME and that's why I said forget it. So do a little legwork and you'll be pleased with what you've done to your phone:D:D

6. oli356 macrumors 6502

Learn by doing and playing with things..

For example Sbsettings you can swipe and it brings up the toggles, you can disable some of those toggles such as the bluetooth one by going into the sbsettings settings (icon on springboard or in settings application). it then says like set window toggles. You can't copy them too the springboard either AFAIK. Most cydia apps just have settings and you got to fiddle with things, some are more complicated than others.

7. TC25 macrumors 68020

That's because you can't move the toggles off. What made you think you could do that?

Thousands? Hardly. There isn't a 'general manual'. Perhaps you could write one.

8. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

+1 How about writing one for the benefit of all forum members. Good luck!

9. hakr100 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Love your site...very helpful. Do more!:D

10. E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

When you move into the world of jailbroken iPhones, Devs assume you have some working knowledge of this stuff. Or how to Google for info. I'm not trying to be rude but did you Google for info? Or did you just expect a manual to be available?

If you google "How to use SBSettings iOS5" this is one of the top hits: http://cydiahelp.com/sbsettings-for-ios-5-walkthrough-video/

A lot of people have figured out how to use it w/o said manual though.

11. Lugnutz macrumors member

I'm in the same boat. I just jailbroke my iPhone and I can't even get new themes installed. I've searched but I find threads like this where 75% of the replies just tell the OP to search.

12. TC25 macrumors 68020

There are 4 huge threads about themes in this forum with lots of examples and instructions.

13. Lugnutz macrumors member

I've seen the examples. I find it funny people will go through so much effort to tell someone to search then either move on to something else if their too enlightened to help someone, or just give the advice and move on. I searched Google to jailbreak my iphone, got a link to this forum, the thread was loaded with search posts, I thought someone was being helpful when they provided a link to jailbreak an iphone, instead it was a link to Google so I just went in a complete circle. I'm surprised this forum just isn't turned into a database. If all the information we need has already been asked, why allow new threads? Turn it into a search engine.

14. brsboarder macrumors 6502a

And this is why Apple is so successful.

They make everything easy and simple. Once you've gone to the world of jail breaking, its going to be a lot more on you to do everything, figure things out and play with things, rather than it simply working, and reading easy to read manuals.

Sorry, thats just the way it works.

15. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Once you are jailbroken there are tons of things you can do to your phone. We don't know exactly what you want to do to your phone. The only way is for you to search through cydia and find out what you need and play with it to make it the way you want. You can't expect some stranger to know exactly what you want.

16. TC25 macrumors 68020

This reminds me of the saying, "Give someone a fish and they eat for a day, teach them to fish and they eat for a lifetime."

The first iPhone I jailbroke was a 3G. I found this site by Googling for hacking the iPhone. I read, read and read some more. I jail broke my phone and while not complicated, it was not as simple as it is today. I installed apps from Cydia and themes. I learned by actually doing it. What's the risk? Even if you screw things up, you restore and start over. That's how people learn. I learned about Cydia apps here by searching for things i wanted to do which usually brought up threads about an app. I learned about themes by installing them. I came to the conclusion themes are more trouble than they are worth, at least for me. Others have a different opinion, the point being someone didn't tell me that, I learned it for myself by reading about themes and experimenting with them.

There are also threads on here about the first apps people were going to install after their 4s was jailbroken. A good indicator of the apps many people find valuable. I read about all the new Cydia apps that come out several times a week, some appeal to me, others don't. MR has stickies for a reason, I read them and learned. IClarified has tutorials. Other sites (modmyi) have reviews daily and weekly about new apps.

Finally, this is not a new thread. They appear like locusts with each new jailbreak.

17. Lugnutz macrumors member

Really? A stranger can't tell you how to install themes? They can on the Android forums. Is this how the "geniuses" at Apple operate? Ask them a question about the iPhone and they tell you to search? I clicked this thread thinking there would be some info. Instead I get posts talking about searching. 4-6 months from now when someone searches, they'll read this thread just telling them to search.

18. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

He's probably expecting someone to hold his hand and help them along step by step.

19. Lugnutz macrumors member

Like I said, I did search. I got a thread here. Instead of helpful posts it was a bunch of search and **************************. Why do you bother then? The time it has taken you to make these search posts, you could've provided links to helpful information. I tried researching but I'm tired of coming to threads that have 12 replies and 10 of them are telling the OP to search. If you are too good to help someone, why do you bother posting?

20. TC25 macrumors 68020

The OP jail broke his phone and knows about Cydia yet asks where to find SBSettings? I suppose it'd be impolite to tell him to use the Search feature in Cydia? Then, once he's installed SBSettings, try the different options?

21. Macdawgg macrumors newbie

Let me ask ypou not being rude but did you read my post? I was in the same boat as you and I READ-SEARCHED and got answers!! That's not being rude but installing a theme is as easy as it gets. Yep I screwed up my phone the day after jailbreaking it and had to do a restore but I LEARNED from it. Go to Youtube you can find ALOT of answers to your questions and people on this forum are more than happy to help you but not if you haven't made the effort to search for yourself and asking someone how to install a theme gives off the vibe that you haven't even done that!

22. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

It's to hard for you to go into Cydia find a theme and install it? Do some damn research. No ones gonna hold your hand and guide you through the whole process. You have to learn and find what you like.

23. Lugnutz macrumors member

I did find a theme and install it and it's not showing up on my phone. Now my phone is stuck in safe mode because it keeps saying springboard has crashed. I've uninstalled everything that I installed and it still does it. I'm not asking anyone to find a theme. I'm not asking you to hold my hand. Frankly, I'm not sure why you are bothering since this seems to be so bothersome to you.

24. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Well sucks for you. Do a search you might find out how to fix your crashing problem.

25. Lugnutz macrumors member

I think I'll start a new thread instead.