Jailbroken 3GS was factory reset - I tried everything...

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by mabo19, Jan 21, 2011.

1. mabo19 macrumors newbie

Hey all,

So my bro bought a 3gs that he didn't know was jailbroken. So he did a factory reset to get rid of the previous users info and now he's stuck in a recovery loop among other things. He came to me for help and I have been looking around for a couple of days trying different things with no success.

I am not experienced with apple products and so all I know is what I read. I tried the recovery and DFU restore options with itunes. I hold shift and press restore and tried both of the following files:

iPhone2,1_3.0_7A341_Restore
    iPhone2,1_4.0_8A293_Restore

In recovery mode I ususally get a 3000 level error code (3016 or 3019?) , and in DFU mode the restore gets about 90% done until I get a 1013 error code. I've tried using redsnow with no success as well as limera1n and the Error 1015 Fixer for when I ran into that error code.

Needless to say I'm stuck. I tried modifying the host file as per some other suggestions, but that didn't work either. I'm not sure if I can ever get this working cause I have no backup point to restore to, and every attempt to restore to factory ios fails.

Your help is much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Matt

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Try a regular restore, no selecting anything. Let iTunes do everything for you. At this point I'm inclined to say that this was maybe a 06.15.xx baseband case and if so, the baseband mismatch may be the problem.

3. mabo19 thread starter macrumors newbie

hey jav6454, i just tried that and I got the 1015 error message again. It gets to the "restoring firmware" part then the error message comes up and the phone restarts.

I dunno if this helps, but my bro said that the previous owner had the phone for about 4 months. Other than that I'm clueless.

Thanks tho.

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

1015 error is a baseband mismatch with the main software. That means this iPhone is using the updated iPad baseband.

Directly from the iPhone Dev Team's site:

Basically you need to recreate a new jailbroken ipsw package to be able to use this iPhone again.

5. mabo19 thread starter macrumors newbie

hey jav6454, i tried what you said and redsnow actually installed cydia, from what I can tell, but when I do the follow up tethered boot, I see the pineapple logo and nothing happens.

The phone will either reset after a couple of mins back to the itunes logo with the usb cable, or I have to manually reset it with the same results.

Any ideas?

When I used redsnow I only selected the "Install Cydia" button.

Thanks,
    Matt