Jailbroken 3GS, worst battery life than 3G

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by jbplaya, Aug 25, 2009.

1. jbplaya macrumors member

I just recently purchased a secondhand unlocked, jailbroken 16gb 3GS yesterday, and so far, the battery life seems to be subpar from a unlocked, jailbroken 3G I had purchase a month ago. The only thing i can think of is I set the iphone as a backup to the previous 3g I had instead of as a new phone and then manually bringing the apps over. I would imagine a restore would erase the jailbreak which I have no experience doing.

I've been reading through these forums and I only came up with 2 possible solutions to remedy this. Drain the battery repeatedly to make the battery last longer, or restore the Iphone as new. The only problem with restoring the Iphone as new is, I have had no experience jailbreaking phones and I've heard many horror stories. I'm using this phone on T-Mobile, so no unlocked=no cellphone. What should I do?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

3. Vandam500 macrumors 68000

Vandam500

Using a backup that was from a 3G onto a 3GS is a terrible idea. I have read a numerous amount of people that do this and they get awful battery life. Then when they restore as a new iPhone it fixes the problem. You should
    do the same.

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Never restore from a back-up if you have it jailbroken and the previous device is also jailbroken. This is a known 3.x snafu that plagues the iPhone.

Best thing to do is set it up as new.

5. jbplaya thread starter macrumors member

Vandam500 and jav6454.... Thanks for your help. Using it for today, i now recognize the battery life is appalling and there is definitely something wrong.

So are you guys saying that if I did a restore, i would have to re-jailbreak and unlock the phone?:confused::mad:

6. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

I am having a better battery life JB on my 3GS

;)

Attached Files:

7. jbplaya thread starter macrumors member

Looks good. Still need my question answered though:

So are you guys saying that if I did a restore, i would have to re-jailbreak and unlock the phone?

8. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Yes.

9. jbplaya thread starter macrumors member

d'oh!:mad:

10. labman macrumors 604

labman

jb and unlocking!

you have to accept some risk you are taking the chance that there might software issues with anything you add which might effect battery life or memory or both might even stop working where you have to do a full restore. that said I have bo where near the short battery life you have something is defiantly up.

11. jbplaya thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, restoring it now as we speak. I went and erased all settings and content on the iphone, then it just started recycling itself. Now that I'm back on track I'm doing a restore and will have to jailbreak it. Why couldn't Apple just release this phone on anything but AT&T? And I mean anything.

12. Bjohnson33 macrumors 6502

I'm thinking of buying an iPhone and unlocking it myself. I'm curious to see if the restore process solves your problem. Let us know when you find out!