Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tbird2340

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2008
I have an AT&T iPhone 5.. I was running 6.1.1 when I did the evasi0n jailbreak.. Everything went great.. Installed some Cydia apps and life was good..

Then 6.1.2 came out.. I connect to my PC and iTunes and update.. That's when it got fubared and I had to restore from backup and re-jailbreak.. That all seemed to work fine too.. Except now, some Cydia apps will not work..

A few examples:

NoNewsIsGoodNews is installed but my Newstand icon is still there.. I've uninstalled and reinstalled and that didn't help.. Another example.. SMS Timestamps.. Installed but not working.. Uninstall / reinstall does not fix.. I've tried running icleaner and then uninstalling / reinstalling apps and that didn't help..

I can restore to factory and rejailbreak but really don't' want to lose all my sms history etc..

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
I have an AT&T iPhone 5.. I was running 6.1.1 when I did the evasi0n jailbreak.. Everything went great.. Installed some Cydia apps and life was good..

Then 6.1.2 came out.. I connect to my PC and iTunes and update.. That's when it got fubared and I had to restore from backup and re-jailbreak.. That all seemed to work fine too.. Except now, some Cydia apps will not work..

A few examples:

NoNewsIsGoodNews is installed but my Newstand icon is still there.. I've uninstalled and reinstalled and that didn't help.. Another example.. SMS Timestamps.. Installed but not working.. Uninstall / reinstall does not fix.. I've tried running icleaner and then uninstalling / reinstalling apps and that didn't help..

I can restore to factory and rejailbreak but really don't' want to lose all my sms history etc..

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Don't update next time. Only restore. Never update, reset all settings, etc on a jailbroken device
You can still restore and rejailbreak and restore from backup.

You could use something like ibackupbot and setup a restore with your SMS, notes, and contacts. I have never done this so I don't have any experience or any advice/steps to give you

Just to be safe, I would say restore and start fresh and rejailbreak. If you find out how to make the custom restore package, it should be fine to restore from it (just make sure that the custom restore package doesn't contain any jailbreak .plist files and stuff

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Actually, no I didn't.. LOL..

So am I screwed or what?

In a sense. But there is a long way around it and you will loose all app data and iMessage history.

First, restore your iPhone and set up as new. Do not restore from backup.

Then rejailbreak your iPhone and it will work as you want.

Note: If you have iCloud for saving contacts, use that.

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
In a sense. But there is a long way around it and you will loose all app data and iMessage history.

First, restore your iPhone and set up as new. Do not restore from backup.

Then rejailbreak your iPhone and it will work as you want.

Note: If you have iCloud for saving contacts, use that.

Not necessarily, he can use appbackup (cydia app) to backup his games' app data and then ssh or file transfer and then restore

For SMS, he could try ibackupbot for that

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Which require him to work with an already faulty system due to previous (perhaps corrupted) jailbreak data. Best just to start clean.

For the SMS thing, use ibackupbot to add it to the newest backup (which is a backup of the phone right after it's done restoring, not of the current backup)

Well, meaning he would extract his SMS.db file from his current backup

For appbackup, hmm, hard to say since I doubt his AppStore apps save data will affect his iPhone's problem

cursedemo

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2013
i am currently on a jailbroken ios 6.1 and i'm facing some problems like the phone getting stuck with lock sounds or alert sounds. it could be due to some tweaks from cydia. will restoring from itunes upgrade my device to ios7? cause i'm not interested in upgrading it.

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
restoring the itunes backup won't delete the jailbreak, however updating in itunes or restoring the firmware will upgrade you to iOS7.

Maybe first try to figure out which tweak is causing you problems.
Try booting in safe-mode and see if the problem is still there.

cursedemo

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2013
restoring the itunes backup won't delete the jailbreak, however updating in itunes or restoring the firmware will upgrade you to iOS7.

Maybe first try to figure out which tweak is causing you problems.
Try booting in safe-mode and see if the problem is still there.

thanks...
i forgot to mention that i'm using an iPhone 5
i'm new to apple so i'm not really aware of how to boot in safe mode..
and the question of finding out which tweak is causing the problem is not really that easy, is it?

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
thanks...
i forgot to mention that i'm using an iPhone 5
i'm new to apple so i'm not really aware of how to boot in safe mode..
and the question of finding out which tweak is causing the problem is not really that easy, is it?

yes, it applies to all devices: restoring from a backup will not remove a jailbreak. There's no way to reinstall the OS though (and be able to rejailbreak)

to boot up in safe mode, turn off the device and while it's booting up, hold the volume up key. If doing this fixes the problem, then you know it's a mobilesubstrate tweak and it's as easy as uninstalling the offending tweak

Finding out which tweak on the other hand can be hard if you have a lot of tweaks. Try and single out tweaks that you think might be related to the sounds

cursedemo

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2013
yes, it applies to all devices: restoring from a backup will not remove a jailbreak. There's no way to reinstall the OS though (and be able to rejailbreak)

to boot up in safe mode, turn off the device and while it's booting up, hold the volume up key. If doing this fixes the problem, then you know it's a mobilesubstrate tweak and it's as easy as uninstalling the offending tweak

Finding out which tweak on the other hand can be hard if you have a lot of tweaks. Try and single out tweaks that you think might be related to the sounds

i'll give that a shot... thanks again..

----------

i'll give that a shot... thanks again..

btw, what's ur opinion on ios 7?

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
Not worth an update unless a jailbreak comes out, besides that very buggy, especially for an Apple product.

cursedemo

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2013
ios 6.1.4

can i upgrade to ios 6.1.4 from itunes?
if so, how do i do that cause right now the only update i have available in itunes is ios 7.0.2.
Btw i'm on ios 6.1 and i don't want to upgrade to ios 7 as yet. i want to wait for a jailbreak.

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
can i upgrade to ios 6.1.4 from itunes?
if so, how do i do that cause right now the only update i have available in itunes is ios 7.0.2.
Btw i'm on ios 6.1 and i don't want to upgrade to ios 7 as yet. i want to wait for a jailbreak.

No you can't.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.