Jailbroken iTouch and iTunes always wants to give me January Update

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by Jon99UT, Feb 11, 2008.

1. Jon99UT macrumors newbie

I jailbroke my iPod Touch to 1.1.3 with the January apps, and now every time I plug it in to iTunes, I get the notification to get the January update. I used to be able to click the "No Thanks" button, and get kicked out of the update page with an error (failing gracefully).

Now when I click "No Thanks" or "Remind me Later" iTunes goes the the iTunes music store, and if I click on the iPod Touch to change podcasts, music, etc, it just goes to another January Update page, and won't let me out of it. Anyone have any ideas or had this happen to them? It's almost irritating enough to make me buy the January update... but not quite. I'm eternally stuck at this screen:

[​IMG]

2. Shanesan macrumors 6502

Shanesan

"Hey, you REALLY want this. I know you do. Hey, take it. I don't care if you have it already. Take it. Take it. Take it. Where are you going? Come back here. Take it."

Apple advertising at its specialty. Consider this your payment for not buying it?

3. Texas04 macrumors 6502a

Texas04

I have the same problem... it is VERY annoying...

4. megamanbnmaster macrumors 6502

i had this probelm as well.
    but i figured a way out.
    while it sez loading itunes music store, press teh x button.
    it'll stop it and go back to your normal ipod window.
    or not be connected online.

5. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Hmm. That didn't work for me ...

I can sync the iPod by right-clicking on it (under Devices, in the left column) but I can't access the settings for it (which playlists to sync, TV Shows, etc) ... HIGHLY annoying. This is a new problem as of 10.5.2 ...

6. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Here's a temporary solution for Mac users: Little Snitch.

I deleted the existing iTunes setting in Little Snitch, so the next time I opened iTunes, Little Snitch popped up asking if I wanted to allow the connection - I clicked NO and voila! I can now access my iPod.

Stupid Apple. :mad:

7. bnizzy macrumors member

UMMMMM....

I SHUD NOT HAVE DONE THAT SECURITY UPDATE.

now i suffer the same problem.

That clicking x thing when accessing iTunes store doesnt work.

I have no access to iPod files....

HEEEEELLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

8. Jonx macrumors 6502

Jonx

I'm in the same boat, I dont know what happened but until today i was keep reminded about january software upgrade clicking no thanks and remind me later always gave me error but clicking ok to error message took me to ipod info page which i could sync and do whatever with my ipod but now clicking no thanks and remind me later button takes me to page jon99 posted and clicking ok takes me to itunes store :eek: I cant access my ipod! this is ridiculous :mad:

9. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

one of the perks of having iTunes 7.5 you never get hassled about the 1.1.3 upgrade :D

10. styylus macrumors newbie

boy, apple seems incredibly adept at royally pissing off its customers-- first they have the audacity to charge existing customers for these apps (which they now offer for free to new customers), then they implement some buggy nag screen that hammers you with reminders, and now won't even properly exit to allow proper use of the device; isn't it just a matter of a simple script edit given that iTunes is merely accessing a web page?

F**K apple. so much for this "hip" company that's supposed to stand in stark contrast to a "profit-greedy" one like microsoft. makes me even happier that I jailbroke and downloaded these apps for free.

</end of rant>

11. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Think different, man. I mean, if Apple wants to d**k their customers over, so be it - but I'm not going to follow along like some mindless sheep. I've been enjoying Mail and Maps on my Touch (for free!) since I bought it in November, and I certainly don't plan on paying for that privilege now! If Apple keeps pulling greedy little stunts like this, they're only going to alienate their customers and fans, which is probably the last thing they should be doing.

12. styylus macrumors newbie

agreed. that's what I find so hard to understand-- is the cost from a PR standpoint; guess they really don't give a sh*t when, as you pointed out, most will fork over the cash anyway, even if begrudgingly so.

I've never owned a Mac, but didn't they do something similar with trying to charge Mac owners for some sort of software patch to enable wireless "N" support--I think that's what it was--, then after much (rightful) protest, give in and provide the update for free?

what particularly infuriates me is when good old-fashioned bottom-line-oriented, corporate greed is wrapped in the cloak of "hip" "fresh" and "consumer-friendly" marketing-- they dazzle you and dress you up as the coolest tech-hipster on the block--sure don't want to be that dumpy, middle-aged loser with the glasses who owns a windows machine--, then happily try to f**k you from behind.

13. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Well, the reason they have to charge is due to the Sarbanes-Oxley Act (SOX), which requires companies to account for any new products and/or services. In other words, since the iPod Touch was not originally advertised as having Mail/Stocks/Maps/etc, those are added features which Apple must account for. The amount they charge is entirely up to them, I guess they figured $20 was a reasonable figure for apps that had already been developed for the iPhone (and whose development costs had already been recouped, many times over) but that had value to consumers. Can't charge $5 for that stuff, makes it seem cheap - and with the SDK coming, I'm sure Apple wanted to set a precedent for downloadable third-party apps - ie, nothing's free.

I digress, Apple was technically required by US law to charge for the new features in 1.1.3. This could easily be avoided by simply wording their press releases differently (eg, The iPod Touch is easily updateable through iTunes, allowing you to take advantage of new features and applications as they're made available, etc) ... But I sincerely doubt that'll happen in the future. Apple has a large herd of sheep that thinks they do no wrong and is willing to pay for stuff they shouldn't have to ($800 for 4GB of RAM, anyone?) ... Whatever. Think different. Don't want to be fleeced by SJ and co? Then Jailbreak and be done with it!

14. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

And for those of us who already upgraded to 7.6, here's a great tutorial which will help you get back to 7.5 (Mac only) ... ;)

15. wudz macrumors newbie

I had this problem as well, Click on the cross when it starts to access itunes store, it'll start to load it again, just keep pressing the cross, it might take 4 or 5 clicks, then your ipod sync window should come up. This worked for me hope it does for you.

16. Jon99UT thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one suffering this issue. I'll try clicking the X as a temporary fix. Since everyone seems to be having this problem, maybe someone will come up with a fix.

17. andi030 macrumors member

Just buy them...
    I also have a jb 1.1.3. but bought the Software Update on its release.
    I am fine with it.

also i think that is wrong to use the Software update without paying for it. But i think that is something you should think about... .

i would really buy them.

18. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wow. It's wrong to expect a free incremental software update? Apple is lucky to have people like you lining their pockets. :apple:

19. bnizzy macrumors member

um....
    you think its WRONG to use software update without paying for it???

oK. your a bit mixed up there buddy.

Especially considering you jus said you have a jailbroken 1.1.3.

what you SHOULD do is this.

Pay $20 to each of the guys who made all jailbreaking possible, all the guys who make all those free apps for us, all the tweaks, fixes, and uselessly fun apps we all cant live without. The hours they put in for our BENEFIT, not just to squeeze as much coin out of our pockets so that some shareholder/portfolio manager can tack on some nice numbers to his year end bonus.

I am NOT fine with throwing away $20 and giving it to a company that pulls some crazy shenanigans like this by blocking us accessing our iPods. Sarbanes Oxley can kiss my A____.

I LOVE apple products. but this is ridiculous.

under that stupid black long sleeve shirt Steve Jobs wears, he prolly has on a shark suit. i hope he gets a paper cut from that stupid manilla folder he keeps the macbookair in.

ok angry rant over.

:D

20. mrpither macrumors member

mrpither

nope. if that were the case they would have charged $1.99 like they did for the 802.11n update. next theory?

21. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Well, the amount they charge is totally up to them. Obviously Apple thought $20 was fair and/or what people would be willing to pay for those applications. They were probably also trying to 'test the waters' to see how many Touch owners were interested in paying for additional software, not to mention that it was a nice way to test out iTunes as a delivery system for the Touch (SDK, anyone?) ...

That, or pure corporate greed.

22. jickthehick macrumors newbie

Found the workaround for this issue

Thanks to all who also reported this issue. I thought I was the only one with this problem!

Anyways, the workaround is pretty simple, yet it is also completely retarted to have to perform this just because iTunes decides to be an ****** ...

Here are the steps I followed to get iTunes to recognize the media & settings on my iPod touch, and to bypass the perpetual January Upgrade screen.

1) Go into iTunes

2) Unplug your network connection (i.e. disable the internet)

3) Plug iPod device in

4) An error message should pop up stating that the iTunes store cannot be accessed, bla bla bla. Just click OK to acknowledge it as if you care.

5) You should now be able to see all the music, videos, settings, etc on your iPod Touch from within iTunes.

6) You can then re-enable your internet connection, and things should continue work as normal. :apple: :)

Best regards to all...

23. sosrabid macrumors newbie

I get this stupid god damn message too. I havent even hacked my ipod. **** is so god damn stupd cant even manage any of the files unless i turn off the internet and go through those steps. I dont want to buy their ****** overpirced software ********. I use the touch for music and video and this ****ing update is denying me that service ive already ****ing payed for. ****:apple:. Their computers are pieces of unupgradeable crap.

Mac: Hey pc what you doing there?
    PC: Playing some games.
    Mac: Oh what ones can you play?
    PC: All of them.

24. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iTouch 1.1.3 (JB'd): Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

Wait, so this isn't just affecting people with JB'd iPods? Wow. Apple really screwed this one up! :D

25. jickthehick macrumors newbie

That's right Mavis - My iPod is not JB'd either. I'm running a legitimate version of the firmware and have always kept it up to date with Apple's patches. Just trying to keep it simple since I'm a PC guy. And yes, iTunes screwed up even for my unit...