Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Comments like these are hilarious. Making ridiculous comments like "Macs Increase Productivity compared to PC" couldn't be anymore flawed. It's all about Hardware. Hardware will depend more on how fast, and capable your machine is.
Software optimization would play a role on how well the software runs, but not necessarily how well it performs. Anyway, this video shows how cheaper Windows PC's will outperform Macs with Productivity.

Two can play that game.

It boils down to how well your hardware and software play with each other. Adobe premiere runs better on PCs because Macs don’t use nvidia graphics (which Apple is working on remedying with metal).

There will be some scenarios where PCs will prove the better choice, just as there will be scenarios where a Mac is the better alternative for the user. Just ask all the youtubers who swear by FCP because adobe is such a resource hog.

falainber

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2016
Wild West
There are two features of the MacOS Finder that Windows has a hard time replicating.

1). The difference in the Drag-and-Drop functionality of the Open/Save windows. On a Mac these windows will re-target TO the directory of any file or folder you drag into the window. This allows you to quickly jump to working directory that is open in Finder. Windows MOVES the item you dragged into the directory you're currently looking at, which I have never found a use for. If Microsoft made that one change, people's productivity on Windows would increase immensely.

2). Column view, the 4th option in Finder's different ways to view things. With column view allowing you to see a large portion of the file tree to your current directory, and drag-drop stuff up and down it. Plus a Preview panel for any File you have currently selected.

Those are basically the secret to MacOS's "superior work flow". How Drag-and-Drop works in the Open/Save window, and the Column view.
What sort of workflow is that? Who spends all day shuffling their files? All the professionals I know spend the majority of their time working with apps be it test editors, publishing tools, CAD or whatever.

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

osaga

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
My parents are in their 70's and recently switched to macbook's. Most common complaint I get is regarding login credentials and resizing windows. The difference between the Mac OS login and Apple ID login is somewhat confusing IMHO. Also resizing app windows is more intuitive in a Windows OS. I wish Apple would simplify that aspect.

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Could this survey have been more biased and vague? They asked only Mac users, not Windows users also?

"97 percent of survey respondents said that using a Mac increased their productivity". Increased their productivity compared to what? Using paper and pens? An abacus? Almost all the stats are vague.

And those who prefer Macs over PC's...when was the last time they used a Windows PC? Windows 7 or 10? The old hard drive days (slow PC) or with SSD (fast PC)? If I hadn't used a PC for 5 years and am using a fast current Mac with SSD, I'd hate PC's too!

Again, this article is so much fluff.

That's what I was thinking. Many of these people probably came off five to ten year old $500 Dell's. Of course a $2,000 Macbook is going to be better and increase productivity. It's shocking what crummy old hardware companies put up with. They get too focused on the price of new hardware. Rather than think about how much more work their employees can get done in the same amount of time. It's usually the head honcho doesn't understand what tech can accomplish They'll only authorize the bare minimum capable of getting the work done.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
They'll only authorize the bare minimum capable of getting the work done.

Which is the right thiong to do. Unless you can build a solid case, based on real numbers and not just perceptions, that the investment will return more than its opportunity costs then you shouldn't make it.

JessWinter

Suspended
Apr 4, 2019
USA
I never understood why people say this. My PC never forces an update on me until I choose to shutdown or restart my PC. Maybe because I never keep my system on all day? But never has it shutdown while I'm on it and I use Windows 10 Home.

I manage hundreds of employees and I can't tell you how many of them complain of their Windows machine either:

1) Prompting them to restart "soon"
2) Forcing the update upon them, making them lose work

For tech-minded individuals, it might be fine. But for average people, they HATE it.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
I manage hundreds of employees and I can't tell you how many of them complain of their Windows machine either:

1) Prompting them to restart "soon"
2) Forcing the update upon them, making them lose work

For tech-minded individuals, it might be fine. But for average people, they HATE it.

Your company should hire someone who knows how to set "active hours" which was introduced in Windows 10 around 2016. I have mine set and it never prompts to update/reboot and I leave them all on 24/7.

Last edited:

JessWinter

Suspended
Apr 4, 2019
USA
Your company should hire someone who knows how to set "active hours" which was introduced in Windows 10 around 2016. I have mine set and it never prompts to update/reboot and I leave them all on 24/7.
Those are set. That's part of the problem. People occasionally will be working off-site nights/weekends and it does it, which is even more embarrassing if they're with a client. Windows as a whole is a cluster. Though it has been improving.

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
I use a Windows virtual machine at work for most tasks, and I have a Mac and Surface at home.

I am slightly more productive at home using either my Surface or Mac because it’s customised to my workflows. At work, I can’t customise it as much as I want to as I’m slightly less productive, however this is only due to the policies and restrictions in place. This is something most Macs don’t have.. and once you end up entangled in AD, forget using a Mac.

IMO, neither OS gets in my way, and I can do my job perfectly fine on either.
[doublepost=1561579675][/doublepost]
Do that as well. Can't go into specifics. Windows is annoying as ****.

I wonder how large corporations manage it... it obviously works for them. Don’t blame Windows for your lack of implementation and knowledge.

Reactions: mi7chy

JessWinter

Suspended
Apr 4, 2019
USA
I use a Windows virtual machine at work for most tasks, and I have a Mac and Surface at home.

I am slightly more productive at home using either my Surface or Mac because it’s customised to my workflows. At work, I can’t customise it as much as I want to as I’m slightly less productive, however this is only due to the policies and restrictions in place. This is something most Macs don’t have.. and once you end up entangled in AD, forget using a Mac.

IMO, neither OS gets in my way, and I can do my job perfectly fine on either.
[doublepost=1561579675][/doublepost]

I wonder how large corporations manage it... it obviously works for them. Don’t blame Windows for your lack of implementation and knowledge.
Very large corporation. S&P500 if that helps. Don't assume things from a post written on a forum that you clearly don't know anything about.

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
Very large corporation. S&P500 if that helps. Don't assume things from a post written on a forum that you clearly don't know anything about.

And I really think you have a screwed up admin team if they can’t figure out something as simple as that. And yes, plenty of large firms have ineffective administrative teams. I’ve worked in several Fortune 100 companies since Windows 10 was released.

Again, a bad workman blames their tools.

Last edited:
Reactions: mi7chy

JessWinter

Suspended
Apr 4, 2019
USA
And I really think you have a screwed up admin team if they can’t figure out something as simple as that. And yes, plenty of large firms have ineffective administrative teams. I’ve worked in several Fortune 100 companies since Windows 10 was released.

Again, a bad workman blames their tools.
You can't account for every single person. You can't make a GPO that is tailor made to each individual. The way that Windows 10 does their updates is laughable at best. Blame can be shifted as much as you want, but when it comes down to it, the OS handles it very poorly, ESPECIALLY compared to Mac OS.

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
You can't account for every single person. You can't make a GPO that is tailor made to each individual. The way that Windows 10 does their updates is laughable at best. Blame can be shifted as much as you want, but when it comes down to it, the OS handles it very poorly, ESPECIALLY compared to Mac OS.

Why is your IT department trying to cater for every single usecase? It’s not sustainable at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.