Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Has your 2018 Macbook Pro KP'd with the Bridge OS error since 10.14.3 GM

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

youthfire

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2019
2018 Mbp, i7 + 16g ram + 1T ssd

10.14.1 - Open FileVault, crash very frequently
10.14.1 - Close FileVault, crash sometimes, not so often.
10.14.1 - Close FileVault, reset SMC, no more crash, good
10.14.2 - Close FileVault, crash sometimes, not so often.
10.14.2 - Close FileVault, reset SMC, no more crash, good
10.14.3 - Close FileVault, crash sometimes, not so often.
10.14.3 - Close FileVault, reset SMC, still crash!
Now, I am trying shift+option+control reset (2nd way of reset SMC)

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
Starting to see a familiar distribution of scores. 83/17 ish at the moment.
I think there is probably a decent amount of under reporting on this issue that amounts to a shrug, but that said, I don't think whatever this is can be fixed without new hardware. And it doesn't seem wide spread enough for Apple to make it a priority. Therefore workarounds and just dealing with it are the way forward. clearly the bridge os and T2 chip are immature and have a long way to go to match the reliability of the rest of the systems chips and functions. Those without issue will disagree and that's fine, but that doesn't help.
[doublepost=1548861730][/doublepost]

My advice is to either try a different macbook, or if not possible, stop using filevault. yeah I know... not much choice here.

Last edited:

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Is FileVault the key? I never use it and never have issues. Nothing I keep on my Mac is confidential, or if it is, it is already encrypted, ex. password manager cache

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
I had never used FileVault on mine either and it didn't make a bit of difference. It would only crash with the screens plugged in.

I can say that in the 7 days that I have had the 2017 13" refurb I've not had a single crash using the exact same workflow and peripherals. The only reason I bring this up is that if it *were* a problem with my screens, magic keyboard, or Magic Trackpad, then the 2017 would have have a panic as well, T2 chip or not.

tmmacops

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2019
I thought I was doing well, but just prior to the 10.14.3 update I had a KP, then 3 after the update. Sending the unit back, and getting a new one [within the 14 day window]. Hoping the next one is better, but we'll see. Not sure if dialing the Boot Security helps or not?

Qaulity

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2018
I disabled everything I could dealing with the T2 chip except for FileVault. Everything was running well, immediately after the update I had a KP with bridge OS and haven't had one since. I've noticed the Power Nap feature is off by default in the Energy Saver settings when the computer is plugged in, I'm pretty sure that was on by default as I have vivid memories of disabling it. Actually just check out this video I made...Either I need to reset my SMC or the 14.3 update is trying to fix the issue by doing some hacky power adjustments....

DCIFRTHS

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2008
I disabled everything I could dealing with the T2 chip except for FileVault. Everything was running well, immediately after the update I had a KP with bridge OS and haven't had one since. I've noticed the Power Nap feature is off by default in the Energy Saver settings when the computer is plugged in, I'm pretty sure that was on by default as I have vivid memories of disabling it. Actually just check out this video I made...Either I need to reset my SMC or the 14.3 update is trying to fix the issue by doing some hacky power adjustments....

Very strange.

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 16, 2016
Ive been watching these conversations for months. People have tried to disable all manner of things and nothing staves it off if its happening. I am very technically minded and don't believe this is a "HW only" kind of thing. That said, it doesn't seem like this issue is well understood yet on the support side.

The Mercurian

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2012

So heres a question - could it be a particular specificaiotn that gets it ? i.e. is irt more likely with 1TB sasd or 32GB RAM or upgraded CPU or something ?

Reactions: RumorConsumer

Qaulity

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2018
I get it only with power nap enabled and allow the computer to sleep when the screen is off. I turned off everything just to avoid it though.

Feisar

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2010
2017 MBP i7 2.9 560 1TB came back from service where they replaced all components.

Clean install of Mojave. Everything runs perfectly until I close the display and reopen. Shutting down and powering on, no issues. BridgeOS and kernel panic crashes every time I reopen the display, wake from sleep.

Sigh was perfect perfect before I dropped it. Yay for AppleCare+, Boo for loss of productivity

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Wow very strong lead on No and never did. What are we to make of that? Many folks say that only those w problems watch these forums. This kinda flys in the face of that.

The only important statistics are

No, and had one before the update.
and
Yes, and never had one before the update.

I still believe that it's a hardware issue with the T2 and that firmware / software updates will never completely solve the issues.

It will be interesting to see if the bridgeOS errors completely go away when Apple comes out with an updated T2 chip (T3 ?).
[doublepost=1549047136][/doublepost]
2017 MBP i7 2.9 560 1TB came back from service where they replaced all components.

Clean install of Mojave. Everything runs perfectly until I close the display and reopen. Shutting down and powering on, no issues. BridgeOS and kernel panic crashes every time I reopen the display, wake from sleep.

Sigh was perfect perfect before I dropped it. Yay for AppleCare+, Boo for loss of productivity

That's strange since the bridgeOS problems seems to be attributed to the T2 chip.

The 2017 MacBook Pro does not have a T2 chip and you are the first person I have seen posting that they are getting bridgeOS errors on a 2017 MacBook Pro.

Last edited:

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007

I still believe that it's a hardware issue with the T2 and that firmware / software updates will never completely solve the issues.

I tend to agree.
[doublepost=1549048125][/doublepost]

and

It will be interesting to see if the bridgeOS errors completely go away when Apple comes out with an updated T2 chip (T3 ?).

That's strange since the bridgeOS problems seems to be attributed to the T2 chip.

The 2017 MacBook Pro does not have a T2 chip and you are the first person I have seen posting that they are getting bridgeOS errors on a 2017 MacBook Pro.
I didn't think non T2 even had the bridge os?

What is Bridge OS?
Apple's T2 chip may be behind small number of crashes in iMac Pro, new MacBook Pro. ... The Bridge OS is an embedded operating system that is used by the T2 chip, which Apple uses to perform a variety of functions instead of making the processor handle the tasks

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 16, 2016
I tend to agree.
[doublepost=1549048125][/doublepost]
I didn't think non T2 even had the bridge os?

What is Bridge OS?
Apple's T2 chip may be behind small number of crashes in iMac Pro, new MacBook Pro. ... The Bridge OS is an embedded operating system that is used by the T2 chip, which Apple uses to perform a variety of functions instead of making the processor handle the tasks

Im genuinely curious why you think this? Its literally a non x86 chip running ported or rewritten versions of *every internal process* that were previously delegated to chips and low level software that has *at least* since 2006 to mature. This is not an apology for the performance but what you're saying about it being endemic doesn't make sense given the nature of today's SW/HW intermix. The most plausible thing Ive heard about what's actually going on is that two different chips speaking two totally different languages are causing race conditions that the machine can't reconcile. This would pu the issue squarely between the teams at Apple and Intel involved with processors which, if my intuition serves me, are probably not on the GREATEST of terms right now given the very public Apple dissing of Intel's roadmap (see iPad 2018 release video) and their encroachment onto the high performance silicon space. Accidental Tech Podcast has had a bunch on that point in the last 3-4 episodes.
[doublepost=1549048916][/doublepost]

and

I also disagree with your take on the stats. I say again, my wife's 2018 15" 2.9 w 32gb and 1TB has had absolutely zero Panics or weird symptoms. I know this is isn't nice to your theory but its true. Thats like 5-6 months now of problem free operation and she uses the hell out of that thing - graphics, 4K video, youtube, Tidal, all of it. We have been watching it like a hawk and with no monkeying at all with the T2 features (boot protection etc) its been totally fine.

Feisar

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2010

and

It does have the T1 chip. From my understanding, T1 chip's main purpose was running the System Management Controller (SMC), and the Touch ID sensor within the Touch Bar. A Secure Enclave co-processor handles encryption of fingerprints, and plays a gatekeeper to microphone and FaceTime HD camera access.

Was chatting with another member and I might have gotten a bad replacement. Will repost if replacement has same issue.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
It does have the T1 chip. From my understanding, T1 chip's main purpose was running the System Management Controller (SMC), and the Touch ID sensor within the Touch Bar. A Secure Enclave co-processor handles encryption of fingerprints, and plays a gatekeeper to microphone and FaceTime HD camera access.

Was chatting with another member and I might have gotten a bad replacement. Will repost if replacement has same issue.

Yep, I was just surprised that the T1 also showed the bridgeOS fault since I thought it was exclusive to the T2.

I bought a 2017 MacBook Pro to save some money and not get a T2.

Now you have me worrying about my T1 chip :).

Edit: Could the latest update to fix the 2018 Macbook Pro (T2) be causing problems with the 2017 MacBook Pro (T1) ?

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
ugg. here we go again just now on startup.

{"caused_by":"macos","macos_system_state":"running","bug_type":"210","os_version":"Bridge OS 3.3 (16P3133)","timestamp":"2019-02-01 22:03:57.54 +0000","incident_id":"DBC03E74-E27D-4E97-9E7C-6E31D3A7FA55"}
{
"binaryImages" : [
[doublepost=1549059265][/doublepost]
Im genuinely curious why you think this?

just a gut reaction to this never being fixed more than anything else. My 2017 imac without this stupid T2 chip never had issues. Now this T2 chip is useless and fraught with issues. This has been going on for over a year now with various macs. if it were just a software tweak or firmware tweak it would have already been fixed. It is not. Is is a very annoying problem that was introduced with these chips. Remove the T2, problem solved. I hate it. Everything about it. I can't think of one single T2 feature that I would ever want to use personally, but I get that others may like these features. I'm just really bitter about this. I have a $6800 Apple computer that is hobbled. I really should have just returned it but the alternatives were not apparent, so I'm stuck with workarounds. Not the end of the world, but it leaves a very bad tastes in my mouth about Apple and their lack of any answers. Then again, they have their plate full at the moment with the ios security facetime breach issue. :rolleyes:
[doublepost=1549059374][/doublepost]
Yep, I was just surprised that the T1 also showed the bridgeOS fault since I thought it was exclusive to the T2.

I bought a 2017 MacBook Pro to save some money and not get a T2.

Now you have me worrying about my T1 chip :).

Edit: Could the latest update to fix the 2018 Macbook Pro (T2) be causing problems with the 2017 MacBook Pro (T1) ?

Just to be clear folks, there is NO update to fix this. It has NOT been fixed in any way shape or form!

Guess I'll foolishly try this newest beta and have false hope for a day or two... uggg

Last edited:

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 16, 2016
Hi does anybody who has had one of these KPs have a unit with a 256gb SSD? I realized i wasn’t sure if I’d seen one.

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
I sincerely hope that everyone here is calling Apple and speaking to senior advisors and escalating this as far as they can.

LDBX

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2018
Germany
Hi does anybody who has had one of these KPs have a unit with a 256gb SSD? I realized i wasn’t sure if I’d seen one.

Hi, I have a 13-inch 16gb 256gb that gets them every once in a while. I can go weeks without one and then have 6 KPs in 2 days -.-'

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.