Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SilverHandprint

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2007
Macau
I think it is likely that as soon as the mobile Penryns become available, Apple will begin shipping both MacBook Pros and iMacs with them.

The Penryn desktop CPUs are expected before the Penryn mobiles, and so Apple will be marketing Merom based iMacs against Dells etc which are will have desktop Penryns.

So if the mobile Penryns are really going to be shipping in Jan 08, then I think we can expect an iMac and MacBook Pro upgrade announced at MWSF 08.

However, I'm a little dubious about the January date for the mobiles. The Penryn Xeons don't ship until mid November 07, followed by the desktops and then the mobiles. It was only a week or two ago that the mobile Penryns were tipped to be released around April 08.

I've waited long enough. My C2E iMac will be ordered the day that Leopard is bundled with them. I'll then wait until either the MacBook or MacBook Pro are on Penryn and get a laptop.

So you think it's likely that the recently updated iMacs will be updated again in January with Penryn processors? I too was planning on ordering a Core 2 Extreme iMac once Leopard is bundled with it. I wonder how much faster and energy savings will be realised in a Penryn iMac versus a Core 2 Extreme iMac. Anyone have ideas?

Tousiger

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2007
Montreal, Canada
I want some change...

Hi everyone... i'm tired of my 14" HP laptop... and want a :apple: MacBook Pro... as been said previously, 14" would be great (for the weight economy) but smaller is good too (12" to 14" would be ideal)...

But I want a case modification. What I REALLY want to buy (for that freakin 4K $ with all taxes in Quebec :mad:) is the same case... but like the iMac... a nice black aluminium enclusure :D

I want a nice graphic card, but it's getting no more need for a gaming card because I just got my ultimate gaming PC at home... As said previously, i'm getting interested in mobile quaddro or something like this (as I do CAD and 3D rendering)

To answer the guy about the HD-DVD or BlueRay drives... You won't get any. :cool:
Thats true... all the complaints on Vista about DRM in the system is the fact that if the operating system doesn't give the "OK" for a secure system (which needs an HDCP-enabled drive, OS, graphic card and monitor) then it won't play in HD (aka 1080p). So as long as MacOS won't make the same as Vista (what we dont want - that's why I leave Window$) then you wouldn't be able to playbak HD content! :(

thogs_cave

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2003
State of Confusion
I love the design of Apple products...but lately I haven't liked the updates. I don't like the new iMacs, or the new iPod Nanos or Classics. I'm fully in love with the MBP design. If they drastically change it...I don't see me liking it too much. Besides, as far as the insides...its like any other computer now, it will be updated continuously.

Hmmm, it seems as if you can't please all the people all the time. There was a vocal bunch of folks who used to complain about Apple's not updating systems fast enough like PeeCees do. Now that they are doing just that, others aren't happy.

I could care less. I buy a computer, use it, and replace it when it dies.

plumbingandtech

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2007
1st quarter COULD mean march.

Or announce in late Jan. and not ship till end of Feb.

I hope everyone that was thinking about buying now and is now waiting till "Jan" realizes this.

This means come Jan. you could still be waiting for 2 more months. (see Aug. SR MBP ship dates and how a lot of people had to wait.)

With the same bus speeds these are not a major update IMO.

If you need one now, buy it now.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Is there some curse on 3Ghz or something? Wasn't the P4 at 4Ghz 4 years ago. CPUs seem to have smaller and smaller adavances. Take away tacking on more cores, and they have only gained about 20% a year the past few years. Sounds like this will be maybe 50% faster than the first MacBook Pro 2 years ago at best.

The P4 had a ridiculously long pipeline, with each pipe stage doing very little work, to achieve those frequencies. Whenever an unpredicted branch, a page fault, or other interruption in the instruction stream occurred, the penalty was huge because of the large pipeline. As a result, the IPC (instructions per cycle) was comparatively low. So even though the clock ticked more times per second, less work was being done per tick.

Additionally, power consumption and heat are functions of the square of the frequency. As a result, for efficiency, it's better to do more per cycle and slow down the clock, if possible.

One of the reasons K8 (opteron, athlon 64) did so well against intel is that we went with comparatively shorter pipelines, didn't double-pump the ALUs just to get the frequency up, and concentrated more on keeping the ALUs doing work than on frequency. With the Core chips, Intel learned the lesson.

monkeytap

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2007
Saint Paul, MN
when reading about the new intel chips, i saw that intel is "switching" and going to include blu-ray support in these chips.

please please please tell me we may see blu-ray drives shipping in macs soooon! hopefully by the time they are in mac book pros they will have already been in powermacs.

monkeytap

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2007
Saint Paul, MN
To answer the guy about the HD-DVD or BlueRay drives... You won't get any. :cool:
Thats true... all the complaints on Vista about DRM in the system is the fact that if the operating system doesn't give the "OK" for a secure system (which needs an HDCP-enabled drive, OS, graphic card and monitor) then it won't play in HD (aka 1080p). So as long as MacOS won't make the same as Vista (what we dont want - that's why I leave Window$) then you wouldn't be able to playbak HD content! :(

you really dont think macs will ship with blu-ray (not blue-ray! :p) drives before january? i would be upset/surprised if this is not true as ive been waiting a long time and would expect it to come with leopard or soon there after.

come on apple...i need some highly defined material in my life!

cliffjumper68

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2005
Castle Rock, Colorado
Is there some curse on 3Ghz or something? Wasn't the P4 at 4Ghz 4 years ago. CPUs seem to have smaller and smaller adavances. Take away tacking on more cores, and they have only gained about 20% a year the past few years. Sounds like this will be maybe 50% faster than the first MacBook Pro 2 years ago at best.

They process more per cycle with fewer steps at slower speeds. So, while clocking slower cycloe speed they mover far more data. Would you rather have a straw shooting water through at high speed or the Mississippi river moving along slowly? Less heat, less power consumption, more usable bandwidth, more work done, sounds better to me.

tMac85

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2007
in a great place
getting 5 months out of your recently purchased mac is great
and its understood that your inside speeds and memory will last for a good couple of years, but i find that, being a designer/ artist, a lot of people out there go for macs not only because they are reliable and have top of the line software, but because of the design of the computer too. they are clean lined simple yet still beautiful machines. best of both worlds no?

i just hope that they dont completely redesign the architecture of the current macbookpro yet! apple always seems to introduce the "why didnt we think of that before , this is awesome!" products. previous products still good, however a complete redesign inside and out of their products rival that of before.

give me atleast til june apple. please.!

skellener

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2003
So. Cal.
So you think it's likely that the recently updated iMacs will be updated again in January with Penryn processors?
They should. I don't see any reason now that Apple has deemed the iMac "pro" worthy with it's Aluminum and Glass, that whenever a new chip for the MacBook pros get updated, the iMac shouldn't receive the same. In fact, the iMac has less of an issue with power consumption than the laptop. So it could take a chip that may not be as suitable for a mobile device.

I hope all in all we see new chips all around soon. It's starting to feel like the days of the G4 without a chip bump every 3-4 months.

compuguy1088

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2007
In the Sub-Basement of Solitude
It's called progress. If you want to invest in a computer company that doesn't innovate/progress and build newer, faster computers, you should probably get yourself a Sinclair.

What's wrong with your 2.4 MBP that wasn't before this rumour came about? I'm not planning on upgrading my MBP (a 2.4 model) for at least another three years.

Even though I got my MBP last month, I'm still satisfied with it. Heck my desktop is even older in perspective....its a E6600 C2D box, and DDR2. Technology changes quickly, as long as it hasn't been released by a company, then its still new. Once its released its old news :D

macsailor

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2007
1st quarter COULD mean march.

Or announce in late Jan. and not ship till end of Feb.

I hope everyone that was thinking about buying now and is now waiting till "Jan" realizes this.

This means come Jan. you could still be waiting for 2 more months. (see Aug. SR MBP ship dates and how a lot of people had to wait.)

With the same bus speeds these are not a major update IMO.

If you need one now, buy it now.

Thanks for clearing out my mind. First I wanted to buy a new MBP to replace my Pismo(!) as soon as Leopard is released. After starting to read this thread, I was confused and starting to thinking about wait until Jan 2008, but your message will probably make me to buy when Leopard is released. Your words makes sense!

My Pismo is slowly dying and I have to have a new MBP to be able to write to get my bachelor's degree in History.

Tousiger

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2007
Montreal, Canada
you really dont think macs will ship with blu-ray (not blue-ray! :p) drives before january? i would be upset/surprised if this is not true as ive been waiting a long time and would expect it to come with leopard or soon there after.

come on apple...i need some highly defined material in my life!

I hope for you they do... but I don't need it (as in Canada HD is not really everywhere)! I just hope they put it as an option so I don't pay for something I won't use! :rolleyes: haha... don't remember the last time I burned a DVD :eek:

In which model?

He's probably talking about the mac pro & macbook pro :)
Integrated graphics is way good for people buying macbooks! (no offense)

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
He's probably talking about the mac pro & macbook pro :)
Integrated graphics is way good for people buying macbooks! (no offense)
The 8600M GT is fine for the MacBook Pro.

I still find integrated graphics lacking. Even the 64-bit discrete options would be a better choice.

jpxdude

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2006
I predict an 11.1 inch widescreen Macbook Pro... *dreams*

I still have a 12 inch powerbook G4, which my wife has inherited. Still feels slicker than my 13.3 inch macbook :-/ plus that cold aluminium, I miss that.

I hope Apple plays to their advantage, and release something smaller than their current range...

Tousiger

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2007
Montreal, Canada
I'm waiting for '09 and quad core 32nm chips...yum.

And then... ;)

You'll be waiting for a 20nm...

And then...

You'll wait for 8-core in macBook Pro... :rolleyes:

And then... Waiting... waiting... waiting... :mad: getting long before you actually GET something :p

Like everyone said, buy it when you need it! Use it, and replace it! :)
I still have my HP going really good... so I will wait until it dies... (actually no :eek:) but I will buy when I want something better :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.