Japan Display to Supply Apple With 'Full Active' LCD Panels for Some 2018 iPhones

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has expressed interest in buying advanced liquid crystal display (LCD) panels from Japan Display for use in some of its iPhones next year, according to a new report today from The Wall Street Journal.

Earlier this month, Apple announced the iPhone X, its first smartphone to adopt OLED screen technology. OLED displays offer sharper contrast and brighter colors than traditional LCD panels, but cost and supply issues are an ongoing concern for Apple, and are likely to slow down any full transition to the technology.

However, Japan Display's advanced LCD panels, which it calls Full Active LCDs, are said to match or exceed some of OLED's advantages at a lower cost, and Apple is interested in procuring them for use in at least some iPhones set to debut in its 2018 smartphone line-up, according to people familiar with the matter.

In Full Active panels, the bezel or border space around each edge of the screen has been trimmed to 0.5 millimeters, the Japanese maker says, compared with as much as several millimeters on older LCDs. Current OLED smartphone panels have a bezel of about one millimeter, which makes them easier to be curved or angled. The Full Active panel has already been used by several Chinese mobile makers, including Xiaomi for its Mi Mix 2 phone, according to Kazutaka Nagaoka, chief of Japan Display's mobile unit. 

News about Japan Display's advanced LCD panels first emerged in January of this year, when they were referred to simply as "flexible LCDs". The panels were said to be bendable enough to manufacture smartphones with the same screen design as Samsung's Galaxy Edge series, thanks to a layer of plastic inside the glass. At the time, the company claimed mass production would begin from 2018.

Last month, Japan Display said that its Full Active displays would account for more than 70 percent of its business in panels for smartphones and other smart devices in the year ending March 2019. People at companies that work with Japan Display said interest about Full Active LCDs came directly from Apple, which is why the display maker is predicting rapid uptake for Full Active. Apple declined to comment on the report.

Apple's line-up of iPhones next year will introduce a larger-screened LCD model, measuring more than 6 inches, according to a rumor earlier this week. Based on the same part maker sources, Apple's supply of LCD screen from Japan Display already includes panel orders for the new larger screen size. Meanwhile, a switch to OLED-only iPhones is not expected until 2019.

Article Link: Japan Display to Supply Apple With 'Full Active' LCD Panels for Some 2018 iPhones

Swampthing

Suspended
Mar 5, 2004

Apple has expressed interest in buying advanced liquid crystal display (LCD) panels from Japan Display for use in some of its iPhones next year, according to a new report today from The Wall Street Journal.
So the iPhone X, that Apple called the future of iPhone, with its nice new OLED screen, will not be the future of the iPhone? That changed pretty fast...

Falhófnir

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2017
Happy they're still investing in new, better LCDs, it'll remain my preferred tech until they can make RGB oleds work, or pixel densities get above 1,000ppi.

ValO

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2012
Iphone x is the future.
Next year(2018) we’ ll get an iphone 9 regular model with lcd, and perhaps an iphone x plus with oled.
The year after that(2019) apple will go 100% for oled, and will just release a iphone x1(plus)or iphone 11(plus), just oled, with the iphone x and x plus as slightly cheaper models, and the iphone 9 as the mid level model. Perhaps complemented with a new se as a new entry model.

It makes sense, i just wonder how they should handle the soc-situation next year with the regular iphone 9 next year, versus the current iphone x, if the x won’ t be updated next year and just release a iphone x plus.

Reactions: Mactendo

Swampthing

Suspended
Mar 5, 2004
Next year(2018) we’ ll get an iphone 9 regular model with lcd, and perhaps an iphone x plus with oled.
I don’t think either of these phones will exist.

They won’t be going back to 9, it’s been officially skipped. Most likely it will be 11.

The iPhone X screen (5.8) is already bigger than a + (5.5), so I don’t think they will bother.

Since the iPhone X is in recognition of the iPhone anniversary, it might very well be a one-shot phone like the iPhone SE. I guess that would explain going back to LCD for the 2018 models, whatever they’re called.

JamesPDX

Suspended
Aug 26, 2014
USA
Ah! the 9 and the 11. You may be onto something (inadvertently) The 9/11 phone. Too soon, perhaps. Maybe that's the reason for the skips.

fokmik

macrumors 601
Oct 28, 2016
USA
i think this fake rumour is to force those who were thinking to buy the next oled iphone plus 6.4", to think again if they want an oled iphone, to buy it now, this year

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Given the numerous manufacturing headaches being associated with the iPhone X, I fully expect an 8S that further refines the current design rather fully transitioning to the iPhone X form factor and OLED.

fokmik

macrumors 601
Oct 28, 2016
USA
i think this is for the next iPhone SE edge to edge, remember they need this for all 4 corners

Moonjumper

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
I like the minimal bezels, but please can we have a flat glass surface. Screen breakages are a major issue and I have seen tempered glass screen protectors work as sacrificial saviours of the phone screen. They cannot be fitted to curved screens. Touches also work better on a flat screen.

Infiniverse48

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2017
Most likely this will be the Plus-sized iphone X display due specifically to Apple being unable to produce enough OLED displays until late 2019?

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Most likely this will be the Plus-sized iphone X display due specifically to Apple being unable to produce enough OLED displays until late 2019?
Doubtful. To date, there's been nothing verifiable that says Apple has a shortage of OLED panels. That's just been a rumor. A rumor that has changed from panel shortage to yield issues with the camera module. Besides, Sammy's increasing it's OLED capacity, LG is building out it's OLED capacity, so I don't think panels will be the roadblock.