Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Jun 28, 2017
Doubtful. To date, there's been nothing verifiable that says Apple has a shortage of OLED panels. That's just been a rumor. A rumor that has changed from panel shortage to yield issues with the camera module. Besides, Sammy's increasing it's OLED capacity, LG is building out it's OLED capacity, so I don't think panels will be the roadblock.
Nope. Multiple reports (rumors that have evidence you know that science-y stuff) say that Samsung can only make around 70 million OLED panels for the X in the next year. 70 million is virtually nothing compared to typical iPhone manufacturing. Moreover, it’s been reported that LG won’t be able to come on board much until mid 2019 or so. Therefore OLED supply for two different sized Xs is doubtful. Hence the LCD reports. It’s unlikely Apple would produce another LCD iPhone unless this was the case and ESPECIALLY not a larger 6+ inch LCD iphone.....if anything they would be indentical to 4.7” and 5.5” sizes.
[doublepost=1506603293][/doublepost]
nope, this will be for the next edge to edge iPhone SE
Nope. An edge to edge iPhone SE makes absolutely no sense unless you made it edge to edge with a 4.3” Display. In other words if you made the device drastically smaller physically and only increased the screen size negligibly. See I’m not sure why people don’t understand this, but the iPhone SE exists for the primary purpose of one-handed use. You immediately throw away one-handed use if you drastically increase the screen size. Anything above 4.3” will make it non-one-handed. It would be beyond idiotic. Let’s pretend you were holding a 5” Display with the aspect ratio of the iPhone X. Even if you were only holding the display component without it being in a phone, you STILL couldn’t reach the top of the display which is the entire purpose of the iPhone SE.

Logic.

sza

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2010
It’s good move. Apple should dump Samsung the soon the better.

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
Nope. Multiple reports (rumors that have evidence you know that science-y stuff) say that Samsung can only make around 70 million OLED panels for the X in the next year. 70 million is virtually nothing compared to typical iPhone manufacturing. Moreover, it’s been reported that LG won’t be able to come on board much until mid 2019 or so. Therefore OLED supply for two different sized Xs is doubtful. Hence the LCD reports. It’s unlikely Apple would produce another LCD iPhone unless this was the case and ESPECIALLY not a larger 6+ inch LCD iphone.....if anything they would be indentical to 4.7” and 5.5” sizes.
Nope. An edge to edge iPhone SE makes absolutely no sense unless you made it edge to edge with a 4.3” Display. In other words if you made the device drastically smaller physically and only increased the screen size negligibly. See I’m not sure why people don’t understand this, but the iPhone SE exists for the primary purpose of one-handed use. You immediately throw away one-handed use if you drastically increase the screen size. Anything above 4.3” will make it non-one-handed. It would be beyond idiotic. Let’s pretend you were holding a 5” Display with the aspect ratio of the iPhone X. Even if you were only holding the display component without it being in a phone, you STILL couldn’t reach the top of the display which is the entire purpose of the iPhone SE.

Logic.
since the LCD will no longer be on the two main device next year, iPhone SE edge to edge like 4.3"-4.5" will make sense
It will retain the form factor. LCD is a no go for the iphone and iphone plus 2018

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Nope. Multiple reports (rumors that have evidence you know that science-y stuff) say that Samsung can only make around 70 million OLED panels for the X in the next year.
Tee hee. Please show me one rumor with some science-y stuff that says Samsung can only make around 70 million panels for the X next year. Hopefully this doesn't turn out like your Energous predictions.:D:p

Reactions: Ghost31

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
I don’t think either of these phones will exist.

They won’t be going back to 9, it’s been officially skipped. Most likely it will be 11.

The iPhone X screen (5.8) is already bigger than a + (5.5), so I don’t think they will bother.

Since the iPhone X is in recognition of the iPhone anniversary, it might very well be a one-shot phone like the iPhone SE. I guess that would explain going back to LCD for the 2018 models, whatever they’re called.
No that's too orderly. It will be the iPhone 9s, because "why not."

GoodWheaties

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2015

Logic.
???? The SE is the only phone where I can actually reach the top and bottom of the phone while holding it securely. And I mean the actual top and bottom, not just the screen. It also would probably be close to 5” in the taller aspect ratio if it would happen.

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2015

Logic.

The “science-y rumors”. Whatever that means. Oxymoron much?

ValO

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2012
In the next 2 years, apple will move all its models to the new aspect ratio(19:9?), that is the same as the x.
They will offer one cheap entry level, like the se, and perhaps an se+? And have a midrange to high end iphone, and iphone + and an ultra high end with the x and x + series.

currentinterest

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2007
The LCD phones will likely have the under display Touch ID, which is rumored to be easier to implement than when the display is OLED. The reduced size of the 4.7 that occurs as a result may make an SE superfluous. Face ID / OLED will remain a differentiator between phone lines.

Cancelled
Jun 28, 2017
Tee hee. Please show me one rumor with some science-y stuff that says Samsung can only make around 70 million panels for the X next year. Hopefully this doesn't turn out like your Energous predictions.:D:p
Just reports from supply chain and executives
[doublepost=1506616336][/doublepost]
Rumors that have evidence to back them up. You know science = evidence. I know science is a mystery for most people on here.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
Don't waste your time. There will be no evidence forthcoming.

Just reports from supply chain and executives
[doublepost=1506616336][/doublepost]
Rumors that have evidence to back them up. You know science = evidence. I know science is a mystery for most people on here.
So I guess this is going to be Energous rev2.1... still waiting on that 1 rumor that substantiates your original claim.

78Bandit

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2009
If this will allow Apple to offer modern, current design phones with bezels as small as the iPhone X at a $500 - $700 price range then I'm all for it. While AMOLED may be slightly better overall than LCD in display and efficiency, it isn't $300 - $500 better. Give me a reasonable evolution of the previous $649 iPhone 8 with a full-screen display and I'll be quite happy.

Cancelled
Jun 28, 2017
Don't waste your time. There will be no evidence forthcoming.

So I guess this is going to be Energous rev2.1... still waiting on that 1 rumor that substantiates your original claim.
I’m not going to bother looking up the multiple reports concerning OLED supply to Apple. It’s a simple google away. If you guys can’t handle that then I just feel bad for you.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
I’m not going to bother looking up the multiple reports concerning OLED supply to Apple. It’s a simple google away. If you guys can’t handle that then I just feel bad for you.
See, the thing is, I did look. I looked before I asked you to back your claim. I knew you wouldn't provide evidence to back your claim, because the evidence doesn't exist. I just wanted to see if you were going to try to do the same thing you did when we discussed whether or not Apple would use standard Qi vs Energous tech. Continuous deflection.

Mactendo

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2012
I don’t think either of these phones will exist.

They won’t be going back to 9, it’s been officially skipped. Most likely it will be 11.

The iPhone X screen (5.8) is already bigger than a + (5.5), so I don’t think they will bother.

Since the iPhone X is in recognition of the iPhone anniversary, it might very well be a one-shot phone like the iPhone SE. I guess that would explain going back to LCD for the 2018 models, whatever they’re called.
So wrong. They'll use 8S or 9 name for the classic design iPhone while iPhone X will be just iPhone X for the next year at least. iPhone X isn't a one-shot phone, it's the next design of the iPhone and will replace the current design over time.

When they drop the classic design (in 2018 or 2019), then they'll start thinking how to number the next models. But in 2018 we'll see most probably iPhone 9 and an updated iPhone X.

I hope they'll use this LCD in iPhone X, because OLED screen will burn in sooner or later.
[doublepost=1506641350][/doublepost]
Next year(2018) we’ ll get an iphone 9 regular model with lcd, and perhaps an iphone x
Yes, I also think so.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.