Japan has a loves flip phones....

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by jamezr, Feb 17, 2015.

1. jamezr macrumors G3

jamezr

Who would have thunk it? Smartphone sales are declining while flip phone sales are growing....
    http://www.engadget.com/2015/02/17/japan-flip-phone-gara-kei-feature-phone/?ncid=rss_truncated

2. TheHateMachine macrumors 6502a

TheHateMachine

3. technosix macrumors 6502a

I frequently visit Japan on business. For those unfamiliar with their culture the differences are challenging to understand. Flip phones have maintained a very big presence over the decade I've done business there. It's all about having a phone that meets their personal use pattern.

4. Paradoxally macrumors 65816

People in Japan must be sick of smartphones and social networks taking over their lives. Flip phones are simple and don't have 500 million features to get lost in (read: suckered in and then addicted). Plus they don't affect productivity as much, and that's a big deal in Japan.

5. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Japan has a love for flip phones....

Japan has a love of bukaki too. Coincidence? ;)

----------

And yet their toilets have more buttons and features than cockpit of the starship enterprise. Clearly poop productivity benefits from modern technology.

6. kdarling, Feb 17, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
  7. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Wait. You had a Blackberry Storm? I thought I was the only one!

8. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Keep in mind that many of these Japanese flip phones a are not dumb phones or retro phones.

They are smart phones with flip phone form factors. Messaging, email, social, full browsers.

Thr Docomo Style being an example.

9. JoEw macrumors 65816

JoEw

10. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

If I can find the link there is a jap site doing a case for the iPhone turning it into a flip phone

11. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

That's taking bendgate to the extreme ;)

12. jamezr thread starter macrumors G3

jamezr

If flip phones become the next huge trend......
    Could Apple make this????

[​IMG]

13. TheHateMachine macrumors 6502a

TheHateMachine

Yea it was the first gen which had the screen gap. Never tried the second gen which kinda fixed it as I went straight to the Droid X after it.

I will say that the clicky screen was pretty awesome and the extra functionality it brought was pretty cool. For some reason I could type extremely fast on that phone despite the size.

14. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Partly. There are nationalistic and cultural elements as well. Who makes these phones? Hitachi. Sony. Fujitsu. Toshiba.

And I recall reading that Japan has one of the highest costing cellular service rates on the planet, so flip phones help get cost down.

And I can see the appeal. Damn near infinite battery life. No getting harassed with notifications every 10 seconds. Durable as all hell.

15. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

....these are full fledged Android devices in a flip physical form.

16. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I had one too since I was on Verizon at the time and they didn't have the iPhone.

17. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    The clicky screen was pretty cool, though I'd say it was the only thing I liked about the Storm. I remember how, at least once a week, I'd get calls that'd hang the entire phone. It'd ring, I'd look down, see it struggling to open up the phone UI, eventually displaying "UNKNOWN NUMBER", then it'd hard lock. I wouldn't be able to exit back to the home screen or even power the phone down, since that was a software feature. I'd have to pop the battery out, and reboot the entire phone, which usually took about 20 minutes to do.

...all because I got a phonecall.

I still consider it the worst $300 I've ever spent.

That's exactly why I ended up getting one. Wish I waited.

18. midwestfisherma, Feb 18, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2015

midwestfisherma macrumors 6502

midwestfisherma

LOL....i still have a Storm at home. Granted it's setting in a drawer but, it looks new.

EDIT: Check that it's not the Storm, it's the Style 9670.

[​IMG]

19. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

20. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Lots of internet chatter about flip phones recently with one being prominently featured in "50 Shades of Grey" this weekend.

Who knows, maybe it will see a revival or sorts as people look to uncomplicate their days.

21. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

One of my favorite Windows Mobile smartphones was the HTC Star Trek:

trekphone.jpg

There's just something satisfying about flipping the phone closed to end a call :)

22. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

That's half the appeal right there. That distinctive sound for discussion closure.

23. Sharewaredemon macrumors 68000

Sharewaredemon

I've had the same "flip" phone since 2009. The iPhone never seemed to appeal to me to get over what I use:

200+ drops, no dropped calls, and I've never had it in a case.

[​IMG]

It doesn't do as much as the iphone, but basically everything I do on it I get in and out faster than I would in iOS.

24. SurferMan macrumors 65816

And if you just sealed a sale/business transaction its like ---> CLACK ----> like a boss :cool:

25. Altis macrumors 68000

I still use a flip for work. Samsung Rugby. Battery lasts about a week, reception is great, and it's tough as nails.

I actually used it to smash ice off the communal mailbox door after freezing rain.

The only thing is T9, which is actually quite good for normal text, is such a pain with anything it doesn't recognize (names, numbers).

I imagine an advanced version of a flip-phone could be pretty good for some people. I can see the hipsters picking up on it, unless they find a way to stick a vintage aerial antenna on a rotary phone. :rolleyes: