Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

N64

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2013
Lost Woods
It will never happen in America because the lawsuits and greedy lawyers will ruin it. The minute someone gets a grab bag and feels disappointed with its contents, the lawyers will come to their rescue.

And it'll be considered gambling. Texas Hold'em without real money is considered an 18+ game in the US. I wouldn't want my kid NOT knowing how to play that game.

----------

I didn't say defective, I said less than prefect.... Japanese customers will not go for a box that has a slightly banged corner for example. If the plastic on the magic mouse case is scratched.... most Japanese customers will not buy it at full price. I have heard it said many times, if it passes Japanese quality control, it will pass in the rest of the world. This is not to say I don't agree with them, if I am spending $1500 USD on a computer... I want it to be prefect too.

Japan doesn't really have "open box specials", either.

I think it's similar in the US. Who would take the imperfect box? Oh boy, this reminds me of the defective iPhone 5s that were shipping. When someone complained on MR about a yellowed screen, he got bombarded with replies saying that he was greedy for returning it and costing Apple extra money.

----------

You can't tell just by looking at the bag alone. They can easily put a voucher in that bag that entitles you to a MacBook Air.

You're right. I even found a picture:
luckybbaaggggg1.jpg

Snowshiro

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2008
Are you living in Japan?

Yes, are you?

If you ever get a chance.... you should try checking out an Apple store in person. They are an impressive retail environment. The 1st thing you will notice is that they do NOT have outdated old stock laying around.
They are the epitome of a corporate practice called "just in time" inventory. They don't order vast amounts of junk that they can't sell.

I was in one only yesterday.

I think you missed my point. I was speaking about how Japanese stores generally use these bags, hence "They're often just an excuse for retailers to get rid of a load of old stock" - I wasn't being specific about Apple stores - just giving some background to Japanese culture.

Ryox

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2007
UK
I queue'd up at the Osaka Shinsaibashi Applestore last year, got lucky and bagged myself a MBA 11".

I was in the queue for 25 hours in whole.

All the bags were specially designed incase messenger bags, black with red polka dots. They all had mophie juicepack power stations, beats solo HD's, a t-shirt, either an MacBook air 11", iPad with retina display or an iPod nano with some accessories for the main prize you got. In my case a Magic Mouse, special edition cover for the MacBook Air and a sleeve for transportation.

In all about 300 bags were available at Shinsaibashi, but 700+ people turned up. Most of which were told to go home around 9pm. The MBA was the lowest end stock configuration.

I felt it was a bit cheap of them to include a nano of all the iPods.. At least a touch would have been nice for the lowest of the prizes...

They brought us Starbucks coffee around 7am and stores opened around 8. They had all the bags lined up on the Genius Bar counter at the back, and you got to grab one like a lucky dip. All the accessories were in there, and a card folded up, you opened it to reveal the prize. But you could kind of guess what you got because of the accessories you had in the bag already.

Out in the winter cold, on a fold out chair over night... It was tough. I think I was around number 30

Good luck to people going for the overnighter this year, especially the people in Sapporo..

Last edited:

MacDarcy

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
So...a majority of these "lucky" bags contain items not worth the $349 people pay for them? Um...I'd call that an unlucky bag. What a stupid idea. Those kooky Japanese.

jimmie

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2006
So...a majority of these "lucky" bags contain items not worth the $349 people pay for them? Um...I'd call that an unlucky bag. What a stupid idea. Those kooky Japanese.

I've heard it's opposite, all the bags are worth more than the price and there are a few which are worth a lot more than the price, that's why people get in a line in the cold weather, although personally I've never bought one.

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
I'm so not into these pot luck sales going in blind buying a bunch of **** your don't even need even of it is discounted. It's never worth it.

ashleyjames389

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2013
iPhone already accounts for 74% of total smartphone sales in Japan. This can help apple gain considerable share in iPod and iPads too

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
I've heard it's opposite, all the bags are worth more than the price and there are a few which are worth a lot more than the price, that's why people get in a line in the cold weather, although personally I've never bought one.

Worth in sum of money is another matter. Yep it might worth quite a lot if you deliberately buy it. But the value of an item might be different for different people. It might contain an iPad smart case worth $69.99 but if you don't have an iPad then it's worthless to you.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
It will never happen in America because the lawsuits and greedy lawyers will ruin it. The minute someone gets a grab bag and feels disappointed with its contents, the lawyers will come to their rescue.

Close but no cigar. It will never happen in the US b/c a "grab bag" is considered a game of chance in most states, which is illegal w/o a gaming license or charity waiver (where permitted). So, blame the lawmakers not the lawyers.

caipirina

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2002
Can't you tell from the outside if a Lucky Bag contains a MacBook Air? Or a 2012 Mac Pro XD

The year that I participated, they even gave away iMacs with the lucky bags .. suffice to say, they do not fit in there .. so, my guess is that higher price items come in form of vouchers ...

Last edited by a moderator:

caipirina

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2002
Some additional info / confirmation from someone who actually stood in line in Ginza in 2007 and got that bag

They hand out an information leaflet before that states that the sum of the included items in the bag (by list price) is more than double what you pay for the bag AT LEAST, can be significantly more ... (I paid 52.500Y and the promised value was 120.000Y)

The thing is that they also include localized software titles (back then, do they still sell boxed software at apple stores?) and so I got a 70$ tokyo subway map / scheduler software box (and you are allegedly not allowed to resell)

But overall, it was fun and a great deal .. here is my actual account : http://nacken.com/blog/?p=1797

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
Seriously? Buying one of these bags is the true definition of Apple Fanboism. Your'e happy with whatever you get because it's made by Apple? Please...
I wouldn't spend my hard earned cash on the chance I might get something that I want. I know exactly what I want and that's what I'll buy. Talk about dumb.

You must be someone that doesn't understand that other cultures have different customs... It's ok... we'll take it as you being not very cultured yourself. :rolleyes:

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
Close but no cigar. It will never happen in the US b/c a "grab bag" is considered a game of chance in most states, which is illegal w/o a gaming license or charity waiver (where permitted). So, blame the lawmakers not the lawyers.

Good, cause we Americans are such *******s that we don't deserve something like this... like someone posted earlier, if someone gets a bag they don't like they'll probably sue.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Only in Japan... and I mean this in a good way. Sounds awesome as long as there isn't some high chance of ending up with 50 USB cables.

----------

Can't you tell from the outside if a Lucky Bag contains a MacBook Air? Or a 2012 Mac Pro XD

Nope. There is a card inside w the pic of the MacBook. I saw it online.

buzz0

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2012
JP
The problem is that you have to stand in a queue before sunrise or earlier.
The day is in the coldest season in Japan.
and apple stores are only in big city like Tokyo, Osaka and Nagoya(7 stores in japan).

I've never been to Apple Store...

Helloagain

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2013
Worth in sum of money is another matter. Yep it might worth quite a lot if you deliberately buy it. But the value of an item might be different for different people. It might contain an iPad smart case worth $69.99 but if you don't have an iPad then it's worthless to you.

Wow. & a book is worthless to a blind person, a jet pack worthless to somebody that is afraid of heights.

Can we be done with pointless off-topic nonsensical posts now & get back to talking about Apple fans that own Apple products, that stand in line at an Apple store to pay over $300 for Apple accessories... or should we pretend some more like they would be there standing in line to buy a Apple goodie bag, but don't own any Apple products or realize that the accessories in said goodie bag are for Apple products?

----------

So..... a majority of people on this board inferred the exact opposite as you?
Umm.. what a stupid presumption. Those kooky racial stereotypists.
Oh.... I suppose that should be singular. Nobody else but you made any racial comments at all.

DamnDJ

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2003
Baltimore
These bags have been a hit over there for sometime now, have they not? I love all of us sitting over here saying what a horrible deal it is.

We totally know, don't we?

ob81

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2007
Virginia Beach
These bags earn money for the stores, which is not a crime, but puts it into perspective to why they don't do this in the states.

Some bags are worth less than the value paid, some are more. If there are 3 11" MBA's with headphones, a bag and t-shirts, with a case and 10 iPod nano bags with accessories a bag and headphones, if all paid $360, they simply pooled their money together and hoped they were the person that got the big ticket item that they paid for.

In essence, if you get a crap bag that may retail for the $360 you paid, theoretically, you simply helped pay for the low level big ticket item that someone else got.

These bags are fun to buy if you have the spare change, but as someone else stated, it is like playing the lotto or a scratch ticket.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
I think you missed my point. I was speaking about how Japanese stores generally use these bags, hence "They're often just an excuse for retailers to get rid of a load of old stock" - I wasn't being specific about Apple stores - just giving some background to Japanese culture.

but then you tied it to apple and the chance of getting a MBA, or ending up with useless junk. so his response was good -- apple's JIT inventory prevents old crummy stock in the bag, and the rest of the prizes are pretty solid. so your entire point is rather moot.

----------

please quote where it says that.

----------

I'm so not into these pot luck sales going in blind buying a bunch of **** your don't even need even of it is discounted. It's never worth it.

how many of these Japanese bags have you purchased? what, exactly, was in it?

----------

as noted by another, relative worth is not how we measure value in retail -- all things are worthless to somebody. we measure based on retail price, in dollars and cents. anything else is just trying to move the goalposts.

----------

Some bags are worth less than the value paid, some are more.

can you cite where this is stated? posters here said the opposite -- all the bags had a retail value higher than the price, and some much, much higher.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.