Japanese Company Develops Mobile Payment System That Scans Your Palm Using Smartphone Camera

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 5, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Following authentication processes like thumbprint scanning, facial recognition, and QR code entry, a company in Japan this week has shown off a smartphone-based payment system that uses your unique palm print to confirm transactions (via Nikkei). Japanese credit card company JCB created the system in conjunction with Tokyo company Universal Robots, with a trial run aimed at company employees beginning next month.

This isn't the first time palm scanning technology has been used for mobile payments, with U.S. companies Biyo and Keyo each launching their own versions of similar systems recently, although on a small scale. Those technologies require merchants to purchase special terminals that include palm-scanning cameras so that customers can pay with a hand wave at their stores, but JCB's system only needs a smartphone camera and requires no specialized equipment.

[​IMG]

JCB's system works by identifying registrants' hands based on the surface of their palms and the "distribution of veins underneath." Users register by taking a picture of their palm from an app on their smartphone and associating it with any supported payment information. Then, when at an appropriate store the merchant can scan the customer's palm using a smartphone camera and the system will match the received data against registered data. This way, users wouldn't even need to take out their own smartphone during the payment process.

JCB hopes the technology not only evolves into a widely used payment system, but also potentially "eliminates the need for cards and other forms of identification." The employee test is being enacted with the goal of exposing any security problems with the system, "such as fraudulent registrations or uses," as well as ensuring accuracy of the system. It's said to misidentify users "only once in 100 billion times."

While palm scanning technology hasn't been widely adopted, thumbprint and face scanning have become normal interactions for users around the world when paying for items with their smartphones, particularly on iOS devices. Apple's Apple Pay began with Touch ID on iPhone 5s in 2013 and eventually came to MacBook Pro in 2016. With the launch of the iPhone X users are now paying for products with Face ID, which quickly scans their faces to confirm identity and then authenticates the purchase after being tapped to a compatible NFC terminal. Touch ID and Face ID can also both be used within apps.

Article Link: Japanese Company Develops Mobile Payment System That Scans Your Palm Using Smartphone Camera

2. thisisnotmyname macrumors 68000

thisisnotmyname

3. Mansu944 macrumors 6502

4. barkomatic, Jan 5, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2018

barkomatic macrumors 68040

I don't understand how palm scanning improves upon the experience over Touch ID or Face ID. Taking a picture of my palm seems a little less convenient actually.

5. Kabeyun, Jan 5, 2018

Kabeyun macrumors 65816

Kabeyun

Forget it. I’m not having some merchant scan my palm or any other part of my body. I have no problem using my fingerprint or face on my own device, but no way my local Staples is going to start scanning me at the checkout line. Nor do I relish the idea of various merchants storing my biometric data.

6. Fzang macrumors 65816

Fzang

No thanks. I’ll just use my NFC-equipped credit card.

7. AJ5790 macrumors 6502

8. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

Here come the body part jokes...

But seriously, I can’t wait until the industry settles on one solution.

9. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

While this seems possible, it doesn't seem likely if they require you to scan your palm at the terminal in the store. Sticking a piece of paper under the terminal would seem like a red flag to any employees, though corrupt employees could potentially take advantage of this. That being said, I don't think this is better than Face ID, but this could be a decent way for poor users who don't have a smartphone to pay for things using only biometrics. I also doubt that this company would be as concerned about privacy as Apple and not collect information about purchases.

10. HacKage macrumors regular

Honestly, with regards to Apple Pay or other payments, I don't really see how TouchID can be improved upon. My phone is in the same orientation in the same pocket at all times. I can pull my phone out of my pocket and have my thumb on the home button in the one movement, and then press it up to the terminal even if that's over the other side of the counter for whatever reason. FaceID is great for just picking up the phone and using it, but for payments, TouchID every time.

11. kingpushup macrumors regular

Also sounds like a 2 step process - vs 1 step.. Right now most store cashiers dont even know about NFC much less that their terminal accepts it. lol

12. a0me macrumors 65816

a0me

It doesn't improve experience over Touch ID but it does over Face ID, particularly in Asian countries where a large portion of the population wears surgical masks both in and outdoors all year round (against smog, seasonal hay fever in Japan, or to avoid spreading germs) which renders Face ID completely useless.
    Face ID also fails obviously in other parts of the world where population are covering their faces with religious clothing.

13. Rkuda macrumors regular

Rkuda

This technology seems about 5 years too late. Apple Pay is pretty ubiquitous in Japan already and I can't see retailers changing their Apple Pay terminals for this setup.

Also I can't see how giving out a scan of my hand print to a 3rd party terminal could ever possibly be considered as secure as authenticating my own personal device with my finger/face.

14. Boatboy24 macrumors 6502a

Is this supposed to be more convenient than a fingerprint, face/iris scan? Or than using a watch that requires no scan at all after it is put on?

15. Rkuda macrumors regular

Rkuda

I just tried this with a mask just now, if I train it by entering the password I can get it to recognize me with only uncovering my nose.

Still seems more convenient that having a terminal scan my palm.

16. chipb macrumors newbie

17. GrumpyMom Suspended

GrumpyMom

They wear those masks indoors, too? Whoa! I'm just getting over a long sinus and lung infection and have to wear one of those masks in public to avoid coughing on people or catching another infection. It's really uncomfortable and it did make things challenging with my X while I had it. I'm back on Touch ID and really appreciating it, though Face ID was good, too.

I can't imagine wearing one of those masks all the time. Is the air really that bad there? I was in Tokyo a couple of times on a stopover and I do remember in the summer the air felt thick enough to eat. At the time nobody was wearing masks, though. Is the thick feel to the air from smog?

Sorry for the off topic but I'm really curious because I have seen news clips and pictures of people covered in masks and wondered about it.

Getting back on topic, I wouldn't want such a personal biometric information stored on a public system, either.

18. Rkuda macrumors regular

Rkuda

Smog isn't really a problem in Tokyo unless a toxic cloud wanders over from China which is pretty rare. The thickness you felt was probably just the humidity, it gets crazy hot and very high humidity in the summer and can be pretty brutal.

People wearing masks aren't super common IMO except around hay fever season or cold season. People will wear them all day though, especially if they have a cold or want to avoid one. Most Japanese offices are open floor plan so it's easy to pass a cold around to most people in an office that time of year

19. Will.O.Bie macrumors 6502

Will.O.Bie

What's next, pluck a strand of hair, insert it in a tiny slot in your phone and wait for it to verify that it's you? This is so inconvenient in all levels of inconvenience.

20. a0me macrumors 65816

a0me

They are super common in urban areas like Tokyo or Osaka, with peaks around hay fever season (March-May and September-November) and cold season (winter).
    In this article from five years ago (in Japanese) they were already estimating that 32% of the population was wearing a mask on a daily basis.

21. macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

Not only that, but without a physical device needed for transactions, any potential mismatch would result in false charges appearing on one's account, which could be difficult to dispute.

Only if proven to work flawlessly 99.99999% of the time would I support this.

22. CarlJ macrumors 68020

CarlJ

"To confirm this purchase, lick here."

23. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

Holy cow so did my family. Had to take both of my kids to the ER at separate times because they were barely breathing and coughing so hard they were throwing up and one was hospitalized for a few days. That respiratory crap going around is no joke. I actually ran out of sick days at work between myself and taking care of the kids, which was impressive. One of the kids in our daycare brought it up from Texas and a couple of the kids in the daycare ended up with pneumonia. We were all on antibiotics. My antibiotics were so intense I had to go on probiotics at the same time. I just can't even!

24. Rkuda, Jan 5, 2018

Rkuda macrumors regular

Rkuda

Interesting, I found a lot of stuff about mask addiction after looking into this. I didn't find newer numbers yet though which I'd like to find.

I think 32% is definitely too high, that would mean 1/3 of people in Tokyo are wearing masks every day. I don't see that reflected on the train or on the streets where I'm at.

EDIT:

Found some stats: http://www.dims.ne.jp/timelyresearch/2016/160226/

Near the bottom it should be the 伊達マスク section.

Looks like 2.6% Male and 7.6% Female wear them 'often', quite a lot of women do 'occasionally' (20%)

25. TroutDeep macrumors newbie