Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

a0me

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
Interesting, I found a lot of stuff about mask addiction after looking into this. I didn't find newer numbers yet though which I'd like to find.

I think 32% is definitely too high, that would mean 1/3 of people in Tokyo are wearing masks every day. I don't see that reflected on the train or on the streets where I'm at.
Obviously YMMV but I'm actually surprised it's only 30%. At peak season it seems like almost everyone 15+ is wearing them.
mask-e1437673650803.jpg
mask-2.jpg
pjktgPY.jpg
360_japan_0521.jpg

Reactions: 5105973

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Holy cow so did my family. Had to take both of my kids to the ER at separate times because they were barely breathing and coughing so hard they were throwing up and one was hospitalized for a few days. That respiratory crap going around is no joke. I actually ran out of sick days at work between myself and taking care of the kids, which was impressive. One of the kids in our daycare brought it up from Texas and a couple of the kids in the daycare ended up with pneumonia. We were all on antibiotics. My antibiotics were so intense I had to go on probiotics at the same time. I just can't even!
I’m so sorry to hear you all went through that. I don’t know where I got it from. I was the only one in the family who got this sick. In our Mid Atlantic region a lot of families ended up like this, with one or two people getting horribly sick and others mildly ill or completely fine.

I was on antibiotics, prednisone, steroids, decongestants, antihistamines—the whole works. We had to postpone all of the Christmas stuff we had planned with our extended family. I did not get the usual flu symptoms. It was mostly respiratory. I’m still pretty run down. It’s been going on three weeks now.

I hope you all are on the mend and feeling better now.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I’m so sorry to hear you all went through that. I don’t know where I got it from. I was the only one in the family who got this sick. In our Mid Atlantic region a lot of families ended up like this, with one or two people getting horribly sick and others mildly ill or completely fine.

I was on antibiotics, prednisone, steroids, decongestants, antihistamines—the whole works. We had to postpone all of the Christmas stuff we had planned with our extended family. I did not get the usual flu symptoms. It was mostly respiratory. I’m still pretty run down. It’s been going on three weeks now.

I hope you all are on the mend and feeling better now.
Sounds awful. Doctors said that people who are prone to having breathing problems or asthma are more likely to have issues with this stuff. I've never been diagnosed with asthma or went to the doctor about it, but I've always suspected I have a mild form of it. My daughter has had some breathing issues in the past, especially in cold winter air, and would take albuterol treatments rarely. She's currently on that and some sort of steroid inhaler and we have an appointment booked months out with a pulmonologist to see if she has asthma.

This all happened in early December until right before Christmas so luckily it didn't ruin it. I'm so sorry your Christmas plans were ruined. Christmas break was the only bright spot for me in everything that happened. It was nice to be able to have a break after going through that, even if we had to drive halfway across the state. While my three year old was in the hospital we nearly had to hospitalize my one year old only a few days after I took him to the ER because we couldn't get him to drink and eat. Had to do lots of forced hydrations using oral syringes and lots of nose suction. He wouldn't even take juice which is normally like crack since he rarely gets it. I still have a bad cough but it has finally started getting better in the past few days. It has been below freezing for highs two weeks now which is really rare for this area and hasn't been helping. Hopefully you turn the corner soon! My grandparents got something separately in early November and mid December and ended up getting pneumonia and then bronchitis. This was the first time that I took antibiotics and felt like it wasn't working very well. I'm worried about reaching the end of the antibiotics age and coughing myself to death someday, lol.

Reactions: 5105973

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Sounds awful. Doctors said that people who are prone to having breathing problems or asthma are more likely to have issues with this stuff. I've never been diagnosed with asthma or went to the doctor about it, but I've always suspected I have a mild form of it. My daughter has had some breathing issues in the past, especially in cold winter air, and would take albuterol treatments rarely. She's currently on that and some sort of steroid inhaler and we have an appointment booked months out with a pulmonologist to see if she has asthma.

This all happened in early December until right before Christmas so luckily it didn't ruin it. I'm so sorry your Christmas plans were ruined. Christmas break was the only bright spot for me in everything that happened. It was nice to be able to have a break after going through that, even if we had to drive halfway across the state. While my three year old was in the hospital we nearly had to hospitalize my one year old only a few days after I took him to the ER because we couldn't get him to drink and eat. Had to do lots of forced hydrations using oral syringes and lots of nose suction. He wouldn't even take juice which is normally like crack since he rarely gets it. I still have a bad cough but it has finally started getting better in the past few days. It has been below freezing for highs two weeks now which is really rare for this area and hasn't been helping. Hopefully you turn the corner soon! My grandparents got something separately in early November and mid December and ended up getting pneumonia and then bronchitis. This was the first time that I took antibiotics and felt like it wasn't working very well. I'm worried about reaching the end of the antibiotics age and coughing myself to death someday, lol.
I have had doctors suspect I had asthma before but I took a breathing test of some sort years ago and passed. I have autoimmune disease that mostly manifests in irritable everything. Skin, digestive tract, urinary tract, was stuck in false labor for the last month of a pregnancy. That was actually hilarious. I actually got so used to it I ignored real labor for a couple of hours. Autoimmune disease is a problem because it often masks serious things.

I’m so sorry your poor little ones suffered so much. As a mom I know that’s horrifying. I’m also helping look after my parents and in-laws so can also empathize with your grandparents getting sick, too. Very scary. I’m glad you all are doing better and that you had a good Christmas. I actually had a nice holiday, too. It wasn’t the one I’d planned, but I rested and had fun on this forum and watching movies with my husband at home.

Appleaker

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2016
Most replies are taking this at face value without any thought to the future potential of this. And I agree, the current system isn’t convenient and it’s hard to see it being widely adopted in phones. But if they could scan your palm at close proximity, i.e. when you’re holding your phone, then it’s possibly more convenient than both Touch ID and Face ID.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Most replies are taking this at face value without any thought to the future potential of this. And I agree, the current system isn’t convenient and it’s hard to see it being widely adopted in phones. But if they could scan your palm at close proximity, i.e. when you’re holding your phone, then it’s possibly more convenient than both Touch ID and Face ID.

I think people have totally misread how this works.

Once a customer has registered their palm with a central payment service, then they can pay for stuff by just presenting their hand. No phone or card or anything else needed.

This is actually super useful. How perfect for kids at a waterpark or adults at the beach. I could even see Disney, with their history of biometrics, converting to use palms at their parks for tickets and purchases.

Not to mention being out for a jog or walk without your phone or watch or wallet, and wanting to buy a drink at a store. Just hold out your palm.

Last edited:

tillsbury

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2007
While this seems possible, it doesn't seem likely if they require you to scan your palm at the terminal in the store. Sticking a piece of paper under the terminal would seem like a red flag to any employees, though corrupt employees could potentially take advantage of this. That being said, I don't think this is better than Face ID, but this could be a decent way for poor users who don't have a smartphone to pay for things using only biometrics. I also doubt that this company would be as concerned about privacy as Apple and not collect information about purchases.

Exactly. Although one would hope that retailers would baulk at scanning a page, the party that needs to be worried is you. A retailer could scan your hand and then they have a copy. They or anyone else who hacks their system can now use that. There's little incentive for the retailer to worry about the paper hand, as they still get their money. Problem is, it was your money.

A whole heap of security implications come with this, and I can't see banks agreeing to it at all (or at least they won't refund false payments). None of these issues happen with touch Id or face id or with the apple watch (a payment solution that doesn't require mask removal either)

Reactions: macduke

pdaholic

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2011
Forget it. I’m not having some merchant scan my palm or any other part of my body. I have no problem using my fingerprint or face on my own device, but no way my local Staples is going to start scanning me at the checkout line. Nor do I relish the idea of various merchants storing my biometric data.

Your post made me think of how when I was growing up, we didn't want the government to fingerprint us, but we were quite happy to plop down for a government photo so we could have the privilege of driving around a car. Now technology doesn't need a fingerprint to identify us, our face will do. People upload their faces to online social media daily, freely giving over that "biometric data" which may not be used now, but will surely be used in the future. I know you weren't exactly referring to this stuff in your post, you just got me thinking...

Reactions: a0me

Kabeyun

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2004
Eastern USA
Your post made me think of how when I was growing up, we didn't want the government to fingerprint us, but we were quite happy to plop down for a government photo so we could have the privilege of driving around a car. Now technology doesn't need a fingerprint to identify us, our face will do. People upload their faces to online social media daily, freely giving over that "biometric data" which may not be used now, but will surely be used in the future. I know you weren't exactly referring to this stuff in your post, you just got me thinking...
I understand what you’re saying. Community biometric scanning, à la Minority Report, isn’t there yet, although widespread surveillance cameras and subsequent face analysis is getting there. To drive, you have no option but to get photographed, but that photo isn’t widely stored by merchants. I do trust Apple’s approach to privacy and security more than the others, and I’m fine with my encrypted fingerprint algorithm living on my iPhone. For context, I do guard my privacy more jealously than probably most people. I participate in zero social networking (not even Twitter). I won’t go through the TSA precheck process because it requires fingerprinting. I haven’t done that DNA cheek swab for the ancestrally curious. We don’t even have connected outlets, garage door openers, light switches, etc., although we may cave on that soon enough. The privacy-convenience-security axis is one everyone should be making conscious decisions about, even if they’re different decisions.

Last edited:
Reactions: macs4nw

kildraik

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2006
Clearly the next logical step is to make a verification system that you can use while you’re using a urinal.

Appleaker

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2016
I think people have totally misread how this works.

Once a customer has registered their palm with a central payment service, then they can pay for stuff by just presenting their hand. No phone or card or anything else needed.

This is actually super useful. How perfect for kids at a waterpark or adults at the beach. I could even see Disney, with their history of biometrics, converting to use palms at their parks for tickets and purchases.

Not to mention being out for a jog or walk without your phone or watch or wallet, and wanting to buy a drink at a store. Just hold out your palm.
We’ll the image didn’t help nor did the explanation. So rather than the user scanning their hand as a form of authentication, their palm is scanned when paying? If people are happy to share that biometric information then that’s fine, perhaps it could be more convenient.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.