Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ErikGrim

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
I’m getting lots of JS errors that break site functionality. I can’t like without going to a second page, I can’t pull down the alerts menu or reply to threads. It seems to be random and intermittent so it’s hard to pin down. But every time it happens, the top three errors occur.

Screen Shot 2020-06-27 at 14.27.47.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-28 at 10.25.33.png

Reactions: arn

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Hmm. Can you paste a thread url where it has happened? Or when it happens next?

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Are you running any extensions? And which browser?

ErikGrim

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
Are you running any extensions? And which browser?
Safari 14 with 1Blocker, StopTheMadness, Okta and Tampermonkey. The latter two does not get invoked on MR.

The randomness (sometimes a reload will make it work) and the errors seems to point to Skimlinks.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Try it without the blockers? And see if it happens? Or try a different one.

I’d first try turning off stop the madness as I think of it was 1Blocker we’d have heard about it before.

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
Why do I need to use Javascript to get the full features on MacRumors? Isn't Javascript something that is dangerous to use. I know there are false "update your Javascript" pop ups. But I thought generally Javascript was somewhat dangerous to use.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Why do I need to use Javascript to get the full features on MacRumors? Isn't Javascript something that is dangerous to use. I know there are false "update your Javascript" pop ups. But I thought generally Javascript was somewhat dangerous to use.

you might be confusing Java with JavaScript. Javascript is pretty ubiquitous on the internet and is built into every browser. You never have to update your Javascript. Java is an addon and is probably what you are talking about.

we dont use Java.

and the site is generally functional even without JavaScript, though some features might be affected. But you are able to read and comment without it.

Reactions: AngerDanger
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.