Jawbone Ceases Production of Fitness Trackers, Seeks Buyer for Speaker Business

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

It appears speaker and fitness tracker company Jawbone is struggling and could be on the verge of going out of business, with news today suggesting production has ceased on all of its current products.

According to a report from Tech Insider, Jawbone has fully ended production on its line of fitness trackers and has sold the remaining inventory to a third-party reseller, and a report from Fortune says the company is also seeking a buyer for its speaker business.

Jawbone has reportedly struggled to sell its fitness trackers in an increasingly competitive market, forcing it to offer all remaining UP2, UP3, and UP4 tracking accessories to a third-party reseller at a discounted price in order to keep the business afloat.

As for its speaker line, Jawbone is said to be courting potential buyers and liquidating its remaining speaker inventory. Jawbone has not commented on either decision, leaving it unclear whether the company will aim to produce additional fitness trackers in the future, but Fortune says Jawbone is selling its speaker business so it can focus on health and wearables.

Jawbone has been floundering for several months as interest in its fitness trackers and speakers has dwindled. No new products have been released since the early months of 2015, and in November, Jawbone laid off 15 percent of its global workforce, closed offices in New York, and downscaled its operations in Sunnyvale and Pittsburgh.

The company did raise $165 million in funding in January, but its valuation dropped from $3 billion to $1.5 billion.

Update: The Verge says Jawbone is still developing a new "last chance" wearable product. It won't be a fitness tracker, instead offering clinical-grade health tracking related to heart monitoring. Jawbone is said to be planning to announce the product this summer.

Update 2: Jawbone denies claims that it is going out of business, telling Engadget that it remains committed to creating new wearable products.
Speculation that Jawbone is exiting the wearables business or going out of business altogether is false. This speculation appears to emanate from wrongful insinuations made in a blog post in which the reporter has since posted a "Correction." Unfortunately, other media picked it up before the reporter posted a correction and spread this false information. Jawbone remains wholly committed to innovating in and building great wearables products. The company has never been more excited about its pipeline of technology and products and looks forward to sharing them when ready. We manage our inventory positions according to internal business processes, and strategic product lifecycle objectives. This situation is no different and we will continue to support all of our products in the marketplace.
Article Link: Jawbone Ceases Production of Fitness Trackers, Seeks Buyer for Speaker Business

Zimmie

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2015
That's a shame. I got a first-generation Jawbone Up when they first came out. The smart alarm was amazing. Something about me seems to make the rubber exterior stretch, though. Within a short time, it's sneaking up around the button. As a result, I haven't used one in a while.

blcamp

macrumors regular
May 16, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Stuff was way overpriced. Very few companies can get away with that and survive. Yes we all know of one other one that does, but Jawbone ain't it.

I've seen Jawbone speakers (and their clones) go for far less on bargain websites such as Tanga, so this doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

whyamihere

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2008
'nati
Unfortunate, but not surprising. They popularized portable bluetooth speakers with the Jambox and then sat back and watched as other companies out innovated, priced, and marketed them. And as a launch day owner of the first Up band (which I returned a few days later after it stopped working), all I've ever heard about their newer health trackers were poor reviews.

Reactions: nostaws

BigMcGuire

Contributor
Jan 10, 2012
California
I had the Jawbone Up2 ($100+) while my wife bought the Jawbone Up Move ($49) over 1.5 years ago. It was OK, it was fun comparing our steps, sleep cycles. There would be times where the app would misbehave, it ALWAYS crashes when correcting sleep hours (even to this day).

Well, less than a year later my Jawbone Up2 band got a crack in it and that was that. I got an Up Move for $24 on Amazon and clipped it to my pants. Several other people in my family got Up Moves for $24 - we all are on a team and it's fun - nothing revolutionary but fun.

I still use mine to monitor my runs (stopwatch feature) and my sleep. It goes through a button cell battery every 5-6 months.

Sad to see this company go - been using this Up app for 2 years now. I refuse to spend $150+ on a step counter and would use my 6s+ to jog but it's way too big. But I guess eventually I'll have to get a FitBit someday.

radiology

Suspended
Feb 11, 2014
Westlake, OH
Fit bit is next. Most of this "fitness" devices will eventually disappear if they don't have other functions. If Apple correct the problems with iwatch (including but not limited to price, poor battery life and OS) this could happen even faster. I love my iwatch but I know it could do even more for me with a little bit of effort from Apple.

Reactions: Zirel and smacrumon

Lostanddamned

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2009
London, UK
I’m not surprised really; both their speaker and fitness products were some of the earliest to market, but lacked the attention to detail that gives a product that lasts, and regular software fixes.

I’ll not mourn them.
[doublepost=1464385950][/doublepost]
Fit bit is next. Most of this "fitness" devices will eventually disappear if they don't have other functions. If Apple correct the problems with iwatch (including but not limited to price, poor battery life and OS) this could happen even faster. I love my iwatch but I know it could do even more for me with a little bit of effort from Apple.
Fitbit isn’t going anywhere. They are synonymous with fitness trackers. Apple Watch will die first.

nostaws

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2006
Meh. A little dramatic. I think the point is there are so many companies entering this category of tech some companies are going to go by the wayside. Even once strong ones like jawbone.

I personally own a Garmin vivosmart hr. I love it. I would never have bought it if apple hadn't come out the Apple Watch and brought attention to the market. But I don't like the features/price of the Apple Watch.

So "what" begins? Are we saying Apple put them out of business, after all of the noise on this forum about how Apple Watch doesn't compete with the devices that are reported to outsell it? Choose one: having the cake, or eating it.

radiology

Suspended
Feb 11, 2014
Westlake, OH
I’m not surprised really; both their speaker and fitness products were some of the earliest to market, but lacked the attention to detail that gives a product that lasts, and regular software fixes.

I’ll not mourn them.
[doublepost=1464385950][/doublepost]

Fitbit isn’t going anywhere. They are synonymous with fitness trackers. Apple Watch will die first.
That's because you probably have a Fitbit and you like it. I respect that. But at some point people will get tired (or realize that it's useless) to "track" their activity. Right now it's "cool" to do that. It gives you a sense that you are accomplishing something.

djcerla

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2015
Italy
So "what" begins? Are we saying Apple put them out of business, after all of the noise on this forum about how Apple Watch doesn't compete with the devices that are reported to outsell it? Choose one: having the cake, or eating it.
Wrist real estate is a scarce resource. Cheap fitness bands compete for the same space on your wrist; looking forward, increasingly sophisticated smartwatches will put specialized devices out of business.

It's Blackberry 2009 time for FitBit.

kirbyrun

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2009
I'm never happy to see people lose their jobs, but this company has always been a mess. They replaced my UP almost 20 times (not exaggerating -- I had a pile of them on my bookcase before I last moved) and by the end, I just gave up and asked for my money back.

They couldn't even process the refund correctly. It took three months and multiple phone calls to get 75% of my money back, then more calls and more time to get the rest.

Good ideas, poor execution.

npmacuser5

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2015
I really like my Jawbone mini for portability. Use it on patio and travel with it. Good sound, durable and stylish. Companies need to continue making quality products or else the end will come. Sorry for the employees, wish them the best.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
When I was looking to buy a fitness tracker more than a year ago, what I saw from Jawbone were products that cost the same as competitors but did not include displays. So, to see anything from the device, you had to pull your phone out of your pocket anyway... so what was the point in having the device?

I ended up getting a Garmin Vivosmart, which I still wear every day. Notifications on my wrist, and a battery that lasts up to 10 days (although I usually charge it every weekend, for convenience).

Reactions: vmistery

tennisproha

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2011
Texas
Anyone know where these heavily discounted UP4s can be had?

I've yet to buy a fitness tracker. Thus far they've all been high in price and short in features/functionality. (I've wanted one with amazing sleep tracking and health sensors but none seem to have both, as far as I've seen from reviews)

So if it's heavily discounted, might be worth messing around with…

Reactions: MarkIII