Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In May of last year, speaker and fitness tracker company Jawbone ended production of its fitness trackers and started seeking a buyer for its speaker business, leading to speculation that the company was going out of business.

Jawbone denied claims that it was shutting down and planned to pivot to medical products for direct sale to clinical practitioners, but that may not have panned out, as The Information reports that the business is officially shutting down.

jawboneup24.jpg

Jawbone has reportedly started liquidation proceedings and notices have been sent out to its creditors.

Jawbone co-founder and CEO Hosain Rahman has moved on to a new company called Jawbone Health Hub that is designed to make "health-related hardware and software services." Many existing Jawbone employees have already transitioned to the new company.

Jawbone Health will reportedly service existing Jawbone products, which may allow existing Jawbone customers to get help with their devices. Jawbone has been ignoring customer service requests for several months, making customers unhappy. Starting in January, Jawbone customers were unable to contact Jawbone support and did not receive responses to service requests for faulty products.

Article Link: Jawbone Going Out of Business as CEO Moves on to New 'Jawbone Health Hub' Startup

rti92391

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2011
Good riddance....company has essentially been gone for quite some time. The writing has been on the wall (not paying employees and vendors, missed product launches and beyond poor quality control). Would not recommend anyone buy anything from the new company.

In May of last year, speaker and fitness tracker company Jawbone ended production of its fitness trackers and started seeking a buyer for its speaker business, leading to speculation that the company was going out of business.

Jawbone denied claims that it was shutting down and planned to pivot to medical products for direct sale to clinical practitioners, but that may not have panned out, as The Information reports that the business is officially shutting down.

jawboneup24.jpg

Jawbone has reportedly started liquidation proceedings and notices have been sent out to its creditors.

Jawbone co-founder and CEO Hosain Rahman has moved on to a new company called Jawbone Health Hub that is designed to make "health-related hardware and software services." Many existing Jawbone employees have already transitioned to the new company.

Jawbone Health will reportedly service existing Jawbone products, which may allow existing Jawbone customers to get help with their devices. Jawbone has been ignoring customer service requests for several months, making customers unhappy. Starting in January, Jawbone customers were unable to contact Jawbone support and did not receive responses to service requests for faulty products.

Article Link: Jawbone Going Out of Business as CEO Moves on to New 'Jawbone Health Hub' Startup

jmgregory1

macrumors 68030
I was an early adopter of one of their BT headsets, having bought into the noise suppression technology, given my constant phone use while traveling. If I remember correctly, I used it for just a couple of months. The ear piece never fit correctly and it was constantly either drooping in my ear or falling out. And the ~3 hour battery life just made me mad.

I did end up buying one of their speakers, which worked and sounded fine, until one of my kids dropped it. But I never went back to any of their headsets, having found much better options with Plantronics (I currently own 4 of their headsets and headphones)

JosephAW

macrumors 601
May 14, 2012
After many years of service my jawbone wore out and fell apart. But I got my money's worth out of it and it was the cutting edge at that time. Long before EarPods were a twinkle in Tims eyes.

Reactions: rp2011

macaddiict

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2005
Albuquerque, NM
I've purchased a handful of products from Jawbone over the years and the only one that wasn't a complete disaster was one of their Jamboxes. Bought it in 2011 and it is still working well with pretty good battery life. Everything else I purchased from Jambox was a disappointment - not on a technical level, but on a customer support and long term quality level. Won't miss them, to be honest. Won't be surprised when Jambox Health goes under in 10 years, either. You can't run a business the way they ran Jambox and expect anything else.

Reactions: itsjordieduh

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Saw that coming from a mile away. I went through 13 Jawbone UP bands before they refused to replace any more. Garbage products.

And this why Apple is soley recognized for their hardware and product support. Apple isn't perfect either, the first Generation Apple recently has a recall for the battery bulging and they expanded the service to three years to service it. Apple acknowldged it and is making the situation right with Watch owners. In my opinion, is what makes a company reputable and has a loyal following with their customer base.

Jws

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2013
AR
I only had one Up band and was not impressed with it. I liked the app, though, because it gave personalized advice based on patterns it detected, but the quality of the band was an issue, and connecting it to the charger was tedious. After several weeks, the band began having difficulties connecting to my phone/syncing with the app, so I stopped using it and put it away. After close to a year, I tried to put it on again hoping the syncing issues were resolved, but the band wouldn't even charge/power on, so I tossed it.

It's too bad their products had such QA issues because they were well designed and had useful apps that actually attempted to provide actionable feedback, which was a rare thing at least during the time when I was still using fitness bands.

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
There’s something ridiculous about a CEO who left his customers high and dry with no service or even the courtesy of returned messages being in charge of any company handling health products. Perhaps he will be successful catering to the consumer that pays to have fix-a-flat used for plastic surgery in a residential garage. I’d sooner buy from Theranos.

Reactions: Sunny1990

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
And this why Apple is soley recognized for their hardware and product support. Apple isn't perfect either, the first Generation Apple recently has a recall for the battery bulging and they expanded the service to three years to service it. Apple acknowldged it and is making the situation right with Watch owners. In my opinion, is what makes a company reputable and has a loyal following with their customer base.

To the credit of Jawbone, they pulled all UPs from the market and refunded everyones money. If you still had one, they'd let you keep it too. When it broke, they'd send you a new one. Then 1.5 years later they relaunched it and they still broke like crazy. I was still going through about 1 a month. Eventually they said screw it and refused to replace mine. I treated them great, never wearing them in the shower or even getting them wet while washing my hands, and yet they failed and stopped responding almost like clockwork after a month or so.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Funny, I thought they were already out of business. I tried a Jawbone out for a day before rushing back to the store to get it off my hands... literally. Worst thought out activity tracker ever.

hewhoeatsapples

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2011
I bought a Jawbone Jambox and absolutely loved it. Until a week later, when a firmware update rendered it useless (a known issue more than a year old at the time). When customer (non)support told me to send it in on my dime for repair, I immediately returned the speaker and decided never to purchase Jawbone again.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
Bummer. I loved their Jawbone headset line. I had one of the earlier models which noise cancelling worked great. Never tried their fitness trackers though.

davideotape

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2012
the Up tracker hardware wasnt anything special but the app's sleep tracking was above and beyond fitbits (at least 2-3 years ago)

they were fantastic with customer support and when mine would break for any reason theyd just ship a new one. ive gotten 2 replacements, the second after probably 8-9 months when the rubber wore down from use.

i guess i'll move to fitbit when this thing breaks for good but i liked them

Reactions: spinspinsugar

shaun3000

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2006
Good. They refused warranty service to a Bluetooth headset that died after a few months because I bought it from an unauthorized Amazon seller. I could find no reference to that policy on their website. CSR refused to connect me to a supervisor and lied about escalating the issue. It was a trivial account if money but it still worked me. **** them.

Aston441

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
I had one of their Bluetooth headsets. Garbage microphone. I was disgusted and finished with them immediately.

I bought my first ever Bose product a year ago. A Soundlink II mini to use as a speakerphone. It has a garbage mic too. And constantly disconnecting Bluetooth. And a hardwired connection that keeps disconnecting and no software updates, ever, to fix issues, while their marketing BS says it will get software updates. I'm done with Bose forever now too.

Idiot marketers and bean counters think I won't notice.

I do.

The handwriting is on the wall for Bose too.

How the worst company on the planet, Logitech, continues to survive though - that baffles me.

splogue

macrumors demi-god
Aug 1, 2008
Cary, NC
I wonder if anyone else had a mental image of the CEO tossing a lighted torch over his shoulder behind him as he strolled over to the "new" company fifty feet away from the old one. The employees even walked over there with him.

I find this entire thing very suspect, even though the event itself comes as no surprise. If I were one of their many creditors, I'd be livid.

Reactions: Happy-Mac

CarlJ

Contributor
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
I was an early adopter of one of their BT headsets, having bought into the noise suppression technology, given my constant phone use while traveling. If I remember correctly, I used it for just a couple of months. The ear piece never fit correctly and it was constantly either drooping in my ear or falling out. And the ~3 hour battery life just made me mad.
I had one of their very first series headphones (just "Jawbone" because they didn't have any other products), and quickly replaced the stock earpiece with a replacement earpiece for some entirely unrelated headset, that I ordered based on recommendations from the internet. That made it fit well and stay in place (compared to the stock one). The sound quality, at the time, was groundbreaking - suddenly I could talk to people from inside a noisy car, and they could hear me loud and clear. The battery life wasn't much of a problem for me because I didn't use it extensively (didn't talk from the car a lot, but when I did it was usually important). It fell out of favor (with me) when I got a car that had built-in bluetooth with decent call quality.

Sorry to see them go, if only because they did do something kind of revolutionary once.

Reactions: ShinySteelRobot
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.