Jawcase Tiburon kickstarter Campaign

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by weisjt, Mar 28, 2011.

1. weisjt macrumors 6502a

weisjt

2. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

Big props to Jawcase for making a truly unique case this time! I'm very interested in how well the final product performs in the hands of fellow reviewers..

3. Conport macrumors newbie

4. UCBerk macrumors newbie

Wow, just 2mm thick, thats thinner then the vapor. I like how they made the bottom upto the middle of the antenna a composite, it seems like a much better idea then other aluminum cases that "[" around the whole antenna, that'll block signal for sure.

Don't care too much about stands and what not but $80 shipped is alot cheaper then other aluminum cases with backplates. Ofcourse anyone who buys an aluminum case must care more about looks than price. I think it's attractive.

Cheapest full aluminum case with a backplate (not bumper style) i've seen was $110, anyone find a better deal?

5. dayumitzmark macrumors regular

looks like the case mate jett design, mixed with the e13ctron cutout..iono i suggested that they covered the buttons, but no one agreed. im looking forward the def cleave case from japan tho. more of a complete case imo.:cool:

6. Laike macrumors member

I wish this case was a bumper style case, but I'm all for supporting young entrepreneurs! I made my pledge.

7. ZipZap macrumors 601

You lost me at $80.

They need higher goals and lower contribution levels.

8. Laike macrumors member

You can contribute as much as you want, 80 dollars is just for the case which is a good price considering it's an aluminum case.

9. weisjt thread starter macrumors 6502a

weisjt

you can pledge 5 dollars but like all products you pledge the amount for the product and you get the product when goal is reached,

deff cleave bumper i feel is going to be not so good. bulky kills reception and not friendly to third party anything, but the buttons are covered.

10. jbromer macrumors 6502a

jbromer

I have to say, this case is starting to grow on me. When I first saw the mockups, I thought it was kinda ugly, but it really is pretty similar to the e13ctron. I like how it is:

thin
    hybrid available
    fits the CDMA phone

I could really care less about the "utility," I just want a decent aluminum case that won't kill reception. $80 is competitive in this market.

I think I am basically down to this or the Draco/Deff Cleave. Still waiting to hear how that one handles reception etc.

I'll likely pledge in a day or so if I am still undecided (worst case scenario - I get 2 cases I guess)

11. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Nice looking case however my only concern is with the "teeth" on the case. Assuming you were to put your phone in landscape while driving, I'm curious to know how bad the scratching potential would be for having a naked phone in there? I can imagine a lot of people complaining about how the case scratches their phone when in use like that.

12. HeatherSchmidt macrumors newbie

I personally would like the buttons to be covered however this is impractical with an easy to open case, the buttons would fall out every time you took the phone out.

Im the creator of the kickstarter project, I hope its ok to "reply" to my own projects thread, if not please excuse me

13. jbromer macrumors 6502a

jbromer

No problem at all, glad to have you here.

14. Laike macrumors member

I'm curious how will the aluminum will scratch the iphone. I use lucky labs spectra wraps so it probably won't bother me too much, but I'm curious how you get around that problem

15. HeatherSchmidt macrumors newbie

Reception reduction depends on the density of the material used, the thicker the case the more it can block radio waves. As someone said before the Hybrid case does not have any metal parts that completely wrap around the antenna, this will allow radio waves to contact the antenna.

I admit most people won't use the "utility" features of the case on a day to day basis however I do think that most people will need these features at some point, especially if they are using their phone to its full potential.

I use it a few times a week, mostly I am re-typing text from my phone to my computer, followed by taking video's (it makes videos far less jittery), followed by navigation. I have even used the phone's flash feature as a spotlight before when the battery in my car died.

All kickstarter campaign backers can cancel or change their pledge level at any time before the campaign ends. Kickstarter also does not charge your account until/unless a campaign ends successfully by reaching its funding goal. This is why I love Kickstarter, there is no risk to backers.

Unlike the plastic case we did aluminum is much too hard to use landscape orientation for the navigation unless your car is equipped with dash storage that you could simply place the case in. When wedging the case into the dash it uses the phone as the 3rd wall of the triangle, it doesn't take alot of force to wedge the case to your dash however the teeth do not provide enough surface area to recommend it.

16. HeatherSchmidt macrumors newbie

If you think of the aluminum as jagged or rough around the edges it would definitely scratch the phone, however we prepare the teeth by rounding them off and polishing them. it has no sharp edges to scratch the phone.

17. Laike macrumors member

Hey, I love the look of the pure aluminum case but I'm not sure if the local signal strength is strong enough to hold up. Would it be possible to order a full aluminum case and if it doesn't work out swap it for a hybrid case? I'd cover shipping both ways.

18. HeatherSchmidt macrumors newbie

Forgot to mention this earlier, the back plate of the case (surrounded by a small bevel) is the exact same size as the iphone 4 back, this means you can put your back plate skins on this case if you wanted to make it look like a bumper style case or customize it further. Just remember that some skins will need a small alteration around the camera area as some skins have this cut out in a different way.

If we get alot of backers I'll have some made specifically for this case.

I'm going to be sending this case out for reviews soon, so keep in touch.

19. HeatherSchmidt macrumors newbie

Yes, as mentioned in the Kickstarter campaign, there is a 15 day satisfaction warranty, if your not satisfied with the signal you can swap it out for the hybrid.

20. Laike macrumors member

Kick ass! Thanks for the super fast replies! If the kickstarter campaign reaches it's goal how long will it take before cases are manufactured?

21. HeatherSchmidt macrumors newbie

We can start making them as soon as it's apparent that we will reach our funding goal. So by the time the campaign ends we would be able to ship them that same day. We're using 2 day express mail by USPS for USA orders.

That's one of the benefits to using CNC and to having them made in the USA.

22. Austin M. macrumors 6502a

Austin M.

Thanks for crediting me. This looks fantastic, can't wait to see what the final product is like.

23. jbromer macrumors 6502a

jbromer

Can you explain this a bit more? Do you mean the back piece is separate from the case? So we could just leave a rear protector or a stick-on skin and use it like a bumper? Not sure if I was understanding you.

Also, can you comment on the spring mechanism on the top? Does it jut out beyond the case or is it recessed? I am imagining it getting caught up in my pocket or something.

24. HeatherSchmidt macrumors newbie

We are having a prototype made right now, we'll send it to you, gadgetmac, and Joe first as you guys helped us improve the design alot.

The back is solid aluminum, no back plate to detach, however it's the same size as back plate on the iphone 4 so in theory anything that is made to stick to the back of the iphone 4 will stick to the back of this case. We went with a full back plate because it protects the iphone much better then bumper style cases, however we like the look of said bumper cases so we gave you guys the choice to make it look like a bumper/2 material case.

[​IMG]

The spring mechanism is set into the case so it shouldn't catch anything. Its much harder to see those springs in real life then in those photos.