JB iPhone 4.2.1 - Feedback from a n00b

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Xhita, Feb 10, 2011.

1. Xhita, Feb 10, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2011

Xhita macrumors member

First of all, congrats to all of you!! Without this forum I would never be able to get this far with my JB. :D

I'm fairly new with JB. I got my IP4 at the end of Oct last year and I waited for iOS 4.2.1 before JB. Since I didn't want to have a tethered jailbreak, I had to wait for Greenpois0n to be released (last sunday). And here's my feedback for those newbies which, like me, are always nervous that something will go wrong. :p

JAILBREAK
    Windows XP
    Greenpois0n
    iPhone 4, iOS 4.2.1

To start with, I don't care about unlock. I live in Europe and the carrier will release the iPhone if I ask them.
    The JB went smoothly and worked fine on the first try. I strongly suggest you use the guide publised in http://www.iclarified.com/
    Downloading Greenpois0n and performing the JB took a total of 5 minutes. And the phone has worked fine every since (plus no battery issues).

THEMES
    The iOS 4.2.1 has "killed" a lot of the functionality in most themes. For example, if you install SlantedLock or AnalockHD, you can no longer set your own background image (no fault to the amazing developers, this is Apple's fault). So I decided to use a simple theme that would show the crisp wallpaper in the Retina Display: GLASKLART HD.
    HomeScreen.png

The HomeScreen also has a rotating wallpaper app, which I'll explain in a second.

For the LockScreen, I went with a stripdown version:
    LockScreen.png

And the LockScreen has this charging battery (3D Gauge HDready):
    Charging Battery.png

FREE APPS
    I've installed the following:

a 1derful HD WeatherIcon (theme) - adds a crisp icon to the Weather Icon
    Activator - allows you to create "shortcuts" anywhere in the phone. For example, to turn my WIFI on/off, I just doubletap the statusbar.
    Analock HD (theme) - an amazing theme for the LockScreen
    AppInfo - you can check information regarding all apps, incluing size
    BatteryInfo Lite - for information regarding the battery status (more accurate than most out there)
    Black Status Bar_iOS4 (theme) - makes the icons in the status bar black
    BytaFont - allows you to install dozens of different fonts. At this moment I'm using Celtic Garamond Font
    CleanStatus - allows you to remove icons from the Status Bar.
    Clear Status Bar (theme) - should be used with Transparent StatusBar, making the status bar in the LOCK and HOME screen invisible.
    Cosca Signal Pack (theme) - theme the signal icon in the Status Bar
    Cosca Wifi Pyramid (theme) - theme the wifi signal icon in the Status Bar
    CyDelete - to directly delete Cydia apps from the HomeScreen (just like an Apple app)
    Direct Closer - icons in the multitasking switcher will have a CLOSE pop by default
    EnhancedTabs - adds a bunch of stuff to Safari, inclusing rules on opening a new tab and a button to close multiple pages
    FakeCarrier - allows you to change the carrier name in the status bar to whatever you want
    FakeClockUp - A MUST! Increases the animations, makes the iPhone look much faster (and it actually is faster). I would suggest you leave it with a maximum setting of 2X (it goes up to 10X!!)
    Fast Copy - makes the copy/past menu that you have for texts pop-up much faster
    file:// for MobileSafari - to edi local databases (such as the Analock HD theme)
    Five Icon Dock - let's you have 5 icons in the dock bar (HomeScreen)
    Five Icon Switcher - brings an additional icon to the iPhone multitasking switcher
    Five-Column SB - have 5 columns of apps / folders in the HomeScreen
    FolderCloser - auto-close folders when you launch an app
    Glasklart HD (theme) - one of the best themes out there, just check my screenshots
    i4 Invisible Slider (theme) - completely removes the slider from the LockScreen
    iAnnounce - with incoming calls, starts with a sentence before the actual ringtone. For example, I have: Master, shall we spank "NAME"? followed immediately by the ringtone you have set-up.
    iBlank - to create invisible icons in the HomeScreen, so you can "adjust" the layout of your apps / folders
    Icon Renamer - you can rename any app icon (Apple included), just like a folder
    iLlumine SBSettings (theme) - a nice looking theme for the SBSettings panel
    iRetiner - to optimize all icons in the HomeScreen
    iWipe Cache - clears the Sprinboard cache
    LiveClock - the default Apple CLOCK icon is animated!
    Lock Calendar - have your calendar visible in the LockScreen
    Lockscreen Clock Hide - to remove the clock/date&time from the LockScreen
    MultiIconMover - move multiple icons across the Springboard or inside folder (instead of doing it one by one)
    MxTube - download videos from YouTube
    No Bookmarks - stop Safari from automatically showing bookmarks if it starts with no page / empty page
    No Icon Shadows iOS 4.2.1 (theme) - to remove the icon shadows, specific for 4.2.1
    NoLockScreen - removes the LockScreen entirely, providing you don't use a password
    PerPageHTML - an easier way to install widgets without using Winterboard and allows user defined wallpaper. Check also Facebook Widget for PerPageHTML and HTC Weather Animated PerPageHTML
    Privacy - stop sending your phone's data to developers
    Pull To Refresh Mail - you can refresh your mail inbox with a pull-down action
    Pull To Refresh Safari - you can refresh a Safari page with a pull-down action
    SBSettings - A MUST! It allows you to quickly toggle things like WIFI on/off, 3G on/off, etc. This is the main reason why my IP4 is JB. Installing this app will also install the following
    Serious SBSettings HD (theme) - nice, cool icons for the SBSettings menu
    StartDial - define where to go when you call the Phone app (favorites, contacts, dialer, etc.)
    StayOpened - keep the AppStore open after you select a download or an update
    SwitcherMod - lots of improvements for the app switcher
    Transparent StatusBar (theme) - makes the status bar completely transparent. NOTE: there are two with this name in Cydia. The one that actually worked for me was created by styy1102
    Time:Cal Widget (theme) - from LEXS1411, she does amazing things. This is NOT IN CYDIA, but it does look good. :)
    Weather Icon - adds weather information in the HomeScreen to almost any weather app (like the default Apple, AccuWeather, Weather Channel, etc.) IMPORTANT - never put the icon on the DOCK!!
    WiFi Passwords - display and copy passwords for all the wifi networks you added to the phone
    WinterBoard - to manage the themes

PAID APPS
    I seriously recommend the following paid apps (based on price/quality/utility)

biteSMS - this is all that the default SMS Apple app should be! Includes the possibility of replying to a SMS from ANYWHERE without exiting any application. You can also reply from the LockScreen and call the quickcompose from a locked iPhone.
    Cyntact - adds pictures to the phoen contact list (just looks nicer) :D
    FolderEnhancer - you can have folders within folders and unlimited apps per folder. I also love the transparent wallpaper option, which always displays the default wallpaper in the SpringBoard
    Gridlock - place the icons wherever you want in the SpringBoard / folders.
    iFile - it's like a Windows Explorer for your iPhone. Very useful if you want to install themes or widgets not available in Cydia.
    Notifier+ - notification icons in the StatusBar and in the LockScreen for email, sms, calls, IM. Includes an independent reminder option for all off these.
    PhotoAlbums+ - create pic folders directly in the iPhone, which can be password protected.
    5-Row Keyboard iOS4 - I love this one! I can now have numbers as the first row in my iPhone keyboard!!!

I guess that's it. :) If anyone needs any clarification, please let me know.

As of now, I'm JB for 4 days and it made my iPhone experience much, much, MUCH better. I have no battery issues, no freezes, no forced restarts. And I can still use all Apple apps, Apple Store, iTunes, backup the iPhone, download music, etc. If you are a n00b like me and mostly curious, just try the JB. Worst case scenario, just restore from iTunes (thus removing all JB software) and retrieve the backup. :cool:

Here's my current set-up:

View attachment 272436

View attachment 272437

2. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

You might look at Gridlock. It's a much better solution and a lot less headache than iBlank...

3. Xhita thread starter macrumors member

I know Gridlock, very nice app, but it's not free (I know, it's only 0.99 USD).
    I want to avoid paying for any app, unless I find it truly irreplaceable. :p

4. definger, Feb 14, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2011

definger macrumors newbie

maybe you could help me:

I installed i4 Invisible Slider and now the slider is gone but the text is still there ("Entriegeln"/"slide to unlock")

first I thought it's because 4.2.1 but then I saw your post...

edit: was my fault and has nothing to do with Invisible Slider.
    I used the AndroiHD theme and forgot to rename en.lproj in de.lproj
    :)

5. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

This is extremely shortsighted. Many of the better packages are not free. Some of the free ones have paid for counterparts that are much more elegant or just plain superior.

Scott

6. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I want to commend you on a well written (especially for a non-native English speaker) JB review especially from a newbie. Great job!

7. mpossoff macrumors 68020

Hi I installed sbsettings how do I get it to work? I know from my previous iPhone I seeped the time.

8. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

The default Activator action is to swipe the status bar left to right (like to unlock the lockscreen) and it'll drop down. If that doesn't work go into Activator (Settings > Activator) and see what action it's set to. Personally, I find that swiping from the status bar down works better and is more intuitive so I've changed mine to that.

9. jogoto macrumors newbie

Thanks Xhita for the list.
    I also use Glasklart HD and with your help I got the right theme for a transparent status bar on my homescreen. But with this theme the status bar on the lockscreen is also transparent with a shadow underneath. Do you know, how to get rid of this shadow?

10. HPLouis macrumors regular

I agree. I didn't even know there were so many great apps.

Henry

11. Xhita thread starter macrumors member

Can you put up a screenshot of your Homescreen?

12. Xhita thread starter macrumors member

Don't get me wrong. I know that some of the paid JB apps have better design and functionality than "similar" free apps. But for me it makes sense to try and look for a free app if it accomplishes what I'm looking for.

Case in point, I was seriously considering buying Lock Info, but all in really wanted was to have a simple overview of my calendar in the Lockscreen. And the Lock Calendar app does just that! :D

But, as I mentioned above, I bought biteSMS because there's nothing like it in the JB universe. And if I find another paid JB app that has the same impact, I'll buy without hesitation. :)

13. Xhita thread starter macrumors member

Cheers!! :)

14. jogoto macrumors newbie

okay, from top to bottom, lockscreen and homescreen without "Transparent StatusBar", lockscreen and homescreen with "Transparent StatusBar".

Attached Files:

15. Synergie macrumors 6502a

Congrats on using Glasklart HD I LOVE that theme and it's what I use and will never change :)

I see that you still have a few apps with the black background. Do you know the fix for that? Just in case you didn't know that there was a way to fix that issue, I'll post it here....

1. use iPhone explorer or SSH into your phone
    2. Navigate to /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileIcons.framework/
    3. Rename the AppIconMask@2x.png to something else (suggestion rename it to something like AppIconMask@2x_bak.png so you can easily find it should you need to change it back)
    4. In WInterboard deselect and reselect the theme and respring and all of your icons will now have the white translucent background.

* The only drawback is, that unskinned icons will now be square and not rounded. Not an issue if you skin all your icons. You can find all the extras for this theme (for apps that aren't already skinned in the download from Cydia) here:
    https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AnwqZYJrC7psdGt1WE5WMlE4ZU9pVG9hcGJXVVpzRlE&hl=en#gid=0

What I mean is in your first screenshot for example... your Facebook icon has a black background and not the translucent one like the rest of the icons...

Like in my homescreen:

[​IMG]

PS: Glasklart HD also has a matching weather icon theme, matching live clock theme, and matching Lock Info theme too!

16. Xhita thread starter macrumors member

Look for Clear Status Bar in Cydia and use it together with the Transparent Status Bar. Apply from Winterboard. Having both of them active works for me. :)

17. Xhita thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. I just found out about this a couple of days ago. :D

18. demeeder, Feb 20, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2011

demeeder macrumors newbie

How do I remove the black behind the bottom icons?

I did what Synergie said and I had no luck. Thoughts?

Very new to JB and customization, so please forgive the likely dumb question.

This was just a downloaded theme... i did not produce it.

Attached Files:

19. A684TTQARX7 macrumors member

A684TTQARX7

Very nice I'm trying my hand as well on JB but taking baby steps first w/my original iPhone 2G. I just can't seem to get it going I have also followed the published guides at www.iclarified.com/ but I'm still stuck ON 1st base.

Anyhow CONGRATS-hope to join the JB ranks soon.

20. neko girl macrumors 6502a

neko girl

Original poster, thank you for taking the time to post this. There's a lot of good information here!

21. Xhita thread starter macrumors member

Sorry, but I think that solution only works for the Glasklart HD theme. Others have different image files, so the results are not consistent. I would suggest you try to mail the creator of the theme you are using...

22. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

Could one of you fine people link me to the lockinfo Glasklart theme? I seem to be having trouble locating it.

23. demeeder macrumors newbie

thanks!!

24. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Barrel is one of those must have paid tweaks.

25. golfergirl13 macrumors member

What's the name of this theme? Its pretty cool.