Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ruutiveijari

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2005
Hellsinki
Does anyone know how Apple has used multitouch that looks a lot like this on the iPod and iPhone without licensing it from these guys much less having their own patents on multitouch?
Multitouch has been around since 1982 so pretty much every company has their own versions of it. Didn't Apple buy a Fingerworks a few years back and got some of their technology thru that?

aLoC

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2006
Does anyone know how Apple has used multitouch that looks a lot like this on the iPod and iPhone without licensing it from these guys much less having their own patents on multitouch?

Jeff Han is not the inventor/owner of Multitouch, he's just one more person making interesting applications, like Apple (but he was doing it way before them).

DaBrain

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2007
ERIE, PA
Aloha everyone,

I wonder if this is the same technology used by FOX as well. I have noticed their rather extensive use of a large touch screen as they discuss the Democrat primaries, especially when comparing the various stats for both Obama and Clinton. The user swipes columns left and right as well as using large buttons to call up other information. All in all, once I first saw that screen, the drool factor hit the roof hehehe :D

HawaiiMacAddict

I wondered about that? It is great though seeing their Apple laptops on their desks while doing the news.

I can't see using this much on my iMac or macbook, unless they replace the macbook touch pad with a nice wider full color screen. Same with the imac except add the screen to a keybd. Direct multi touch on the actual screens would require me to invest in iKleer or is it iClear? Either way I like my main viewing screen smudge free--)) :D

Bzzzt

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2008
Broadcast Engineering has a bit more information about this technology, the involved companies, etc (no links in the quoted text below, click the link for the article) http://blog.broadcastengineering.co...and-perceptive-pixel-on-interactive-graphics/

"Vizrt and Perceptive Pixel on interactive graphics

At a press conference yesterday Vizrt put on display a collaboration with Perceptive Pixel. Perceptive Pixel has an advance multi-touch graphics display system. Vizrt has integrated the system into its Viz Engine.

Users of the integrated system can control graphics through multi-touch gestures. Listen to Phil Kurz’s interview of Jeff Han, Perspective Pixel’s founder, about the interactive display.

Watch a video on the multi-touch wall on Broadcast Engineering TV.

Related article: Vizrt, Perceptive Pixel collaborate on multitouch wall."

Press release from Vizrt: http://www.vizrt.com/news/press_releases/article2389.ece

dernhelm

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2002
middle earth
Jeff Han is not the inventor/owner of Multitouch, he's just one more person making interesting applications, like Apple (but he was doing it way before them).

Right. Apple didn't invent the mouse, they were just the first company to employ it on a large scale in a consumer-oriented device. The device (and most of the "standard" gestures that you use when employing it) were "invented" at Xerox who sold it to Apple for a song.

The same with multi-touch. Apple didn't invent the technology, they just figured out how to use it in a device that most mere mortals could afford. However, the way in which the gestures are detected (and which gestures are used to direct which behaviors) vary widely between implementation. Han uses a different technology than Microsoft, and Microsoft uses a different technology than Apple. Most of Apple's patents center around how the gestures are detected, and how the gestures that they've invented can be used to control the functioning of a particular device.

freediverdude

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2006
CNN's magic wall is pretty nifty for being able to show a state with all the counties, and then being able to quickly zoom in and out of certain key counties in a map fashion and show the voting numbers. Gives you a sense of where that county is in the state and why it's important to the voting.

And then also for being able to quickly do "what if" scenarios, dragging delegates or votes from certain places to certain candidates right on the screen to show how the totals would look. Kind of takes the place of Tim Russert's white notepad from the 2000 election, if you will.

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
Large amounts of data? Compared to what?

Could someone please explain how the primary elections and CNNs "Magic Wall" illustrate the power of Perceptive Pixels? Is this a particularly large or particularly complex set of data? No.

The technology looks promising. Selling it to visualize political machinations isn't a convincing roll out.

Uh.. have you even watched this in action on CNN? It's pretty impressive.

William Gates

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2007
I know after I first got my iPhone I kept catching myself trying to use multi touch on my laptop. :)

bytethese

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2007
I can see this coming in very handy on a 17" MBP screen while doing a presentation for a few people while traveling or something. Flick your finger to progress to the next slide, resize and rotate while doing your presentation...talk about a "Wow" factor! :)

crees!

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
Aloha everyone,

I wonder if this is the same technology used by FOX as well. I have noticed their rather extensive use of a large touch screen as they discuss the Democrat primaries, especially when comparing the various stats for both Obama and Clinton. The user swipes columns left and right as well as using large buttons to call up other information. All in all, once I first saw that screen, the drool factor hit the roof hehehe :D

HawaiiMacAddict

I saw it on FOX as well. Didn't make the connection in that hey that's Jeff Han's work; but I did notice how awesome it was and wondering.. "when did they get that!"

Anyways... cool stuff. Can't wait to see more.

jouster

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2002
Connecticut
I can see this coming in very handy on a 17" MBP screen while doing a presentation for a few people while traveling or something. Flick your finger to progress to the next slide, resize and rotate while doing your presentation...talk about a "Wow" factor! :)

How would it be easier than using a remote? Why would your slides not already be the correct size or orientation? Why is being physically tied to your computer an advantage?

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
How would it be easier than using a remote? Why would your slides not already be the correct size or orientation? Why is being physically tied to your computer an advantage?

bytethese was talking about a demo on a 17" MBP for a few people.
Why the hell would you need a remote for this? remotes for a projector presentation perhaps.

Powerpoint versus Multitouch screen? I'd wrestle Jeff for some screen time.

Multitouch brings instant dynamic interactiveness to the equation - You can visually show how you got your data - you can make a visual demonstration on the fly and so on.
vs.
Bullet point. Bullet point. Next slide. Crappy animation. Bullet point Bullet point.

Reminds me of the TED talk on visualising data (esp. from Governments etc) - Google's Gapminder.
It would foster interactivity - get the minds going of those watching, as they could ask questions, and the user could drill down data, check something out, write notes, amend information, put stuff to one side, email to them all on screen.
As a sales pitch device - Multitouch could rock.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
the photo resizing seemed a bit of a stretch for using the screen. just to show off the technology. A simple slide show might have worked better. :)
I see your point.

As for myself, I enjoyed watching her interaction with the display during the presentation. However, while fun at first, it may get old over time.

Where I see this technology being very useful is for design. For example, I can just imagine the possibilities for complex circuit design. :)

shamino

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2004
Purcellville, VA
With or without the gestures, I'd be glad to have a screen that big!
Probably not. I've seen those large screens. They're usually straight HDTVs - 1920x1080 or 1920x1200. An Apple 30" display has more resolution.

A big 47" screen at 100dpi would be incredible, but nobody makes one. (At least I don't think anyone does.)
Right. Apple didn't invent the mouse, they were just the first company to employ it on a large scale in a consumer-oriented device. The device (and most of the "standard" gestures that you use when employing it) were "invented" at Xerox who sold it to Apple for a song.
Actually, most of the standard gestures were not invented at Xerox.

I've used a Xerox Star/ViewPoint desktop publishing system. They had no concept of a menu bar, and no drag/drop manipulation. The interface required extensive use of specialized keyboard keys. (For example, to move a file, you click it, then press the "move" button on the keyboard, then click the destination.)

There have been many essays that describe in detail what Apple got from Xerox and what they invented on their own. Xerox (and Douglas Englebart at SRI, before them) invented many of the most basic concepts (a mouse, GUI, windows, object-oriented UI), but that's really where it stops. Apple (and to a lesser extent, Microsoft) built a lot over those concepts.

L3X

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2006
Chesapeake, VA
This is kind of old news as I saw this back in Jan/Feb but still cool nonetheless.

I wish it would be used for some more "interesting" stuff, though. I guess they're trying to "jazz" up these boring politics.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
My Technology Prediction....

Toutching the screen will not work so well on a large monitor on your desk. So, what will happen is the computer will use it's "webcam" to watch your fingers, you can do all the mullti toutch gestures but just without the "toutch" part, just moving the hands in the air will be enough

In the long runs this "no toutch" interface will cost less. A couple web cams costs less to make than a huge toutch sensitve screen. Yes I think it will take two cameras to make a 3D stereo image of the space in front of the screen. LOTS of computation will be required so you will not see this until those 8 and 16 core CPUs become comon place and low priced

Virgil-TB2

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2007
the photo resizing seemed a bit of a stretch for using the screen. just to show off the technology. A simple slide show might have worked better. :)
Yes. Despite all the hype around multi-touch it's really better for multiple people collaborating and working together, not displays like this.

I can't help but think that the Apple remote patent we recently heard about, coupled with a big screen behind the presenter, would actually be a more practical and efficient solution for this type of use.

cnote678

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2008
Chicago, IL
Guys, it can eventually go one of two way, IMO, Star Trek like, as in here
http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Image:RikerLCARS2375.jpg
Or like the UI in Iron Man, which i cant find a pic of, but it was an interactive, 3d image, that you manipulate with your hands.

I think that this screen-touching will eventually(15 yrs?) go towards the UI in Iron Man(which was very cool!). 3D manipulations would be so much more natural that it would be great for design and engineering types. As for multitouch screens, they're definitely the next step towards the future of computing. Very cool.

k2spitfire88

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2008
in your mind
Hasn't anyone heard of the SmartBoard? They have been is school classrooms for a heck of a lot longer than this story even had its beginnings. So nice try on thinking that this is even news! http://smarttech.com

smartboards are projections from computers, these are interactive computer screens, smartboards can get easily messed up by accidently tapping them too hard. This is way better and cooler than a smartboard is or ever will be.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.