Jet Black Gripability

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AndersOlson, Sep 16, 2016.

1. AndersOlson macrumors member

Searched but didn't find much. Wondering for people who got a jet black IP7 today if it has better grip than other IP6/7 models. I ordered both for fear of matte being too slippery again but am on vacation for another week so interested in everyone's experience.

2. zea mays macrumors 6502

zea mays

Yes, it is. I held my silver iPhone 6 and JB in each hand and the iPhone6 is much slipperier. The JB feels very nice in the hand.

3. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

I figured the Jet Black would be slippery. That's a perk that it isn't. Especially with that color.

4. djstile macrumors regular

I had a reservation for the Matte Black 7 plus today and when I went in and held the Jet Black, (obviously IMO), the grip is night and day better on the jet black than on the matte black. I ended up cancelling my order and will wait for the jet black.

5. sekazi macrumors 6502

It is almost like a glass surface which hands grip to better so I would expect it to be better to hold.

I nearly dropped my iPhone 6 when I got it because I was not expecting to to be so slippery.

6. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Nice. I'm jealous. Enjoy it. My a Silver 7 arrived today.

7. AndersOlson thread starter macrumors member

If that's the case then bring on the scratches. I'd love a naked iPhone with good grip

8. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

I love gripping it while naked! The iPhone, that is.

9. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Jimmy James

Apparently the dull one is difficult to keep up.

10. HaydenWI macrumors member

It's funny how some of the initial reviews on reveal day said how slippery the JB was/was going to be. It seems to be clear now that the opposite is in fact true. Saw this quote in one review...

BTW, cannot confirm firsthand yet as UPS driver has not made it to my home yet. Grrrr....

11. Sunny1990 Suspended

Sunny1990

share pictures of your Booooring color please!!

12. thedeske, Sep 16, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2016

thedeske macrumors 6502a

Funny how Apple has never addressed something so basic as "Grip" or Texture.
    All about shiny shiny for pictures. Case companies love it of course, but it's just one of those
    stupid marketing things that happens. Duh!
    What if they had a very grippy texture finish (In whatever color) that was too good to put a case on and you could actually see the design in real world use. It would sell big time IMO.

Yes, it would get scratched over time, but you could reap the rewards of holding the design
    in your hands. It's skinny, so lets use it in skinny form! What difference does the size make when you're going to buy all the Crap to cover it up in case you might - whatever.

I know, some people do this with the slippery finish as is. They have the luxury of a very lucky grip
    or a very good insurance purchase.

Now, the super gloss has a bit of grip - yippi dippi doo! Very few will embrace the trashed look of using it naked. Then again, it can start a movement to trash your finish and get that grippy worn surface just right! Apple can choke on the rest IMO/

13. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

They had one JB7 at my local Apple store. To the eye you expect it to feel slick, but then you pick it up and feels very grippy against your palm.

14. Fuchal macrumors 68020

You can hold it up with just a few fingers on the back. It basically 'sticks' to your hand. Very similar feeling to a 4 or 3GS.

15. jdsmitty10 macrumors member

I almost got jet black for this reason. Can't stand cases but the matte finish is so slick(especially when my hands dry out in the winter months). I definitely think jet black will be easier to keep ahold of. Kind of kicking myself for not getting it but I'm loving the white face of my gold though!

16. AppleWarrior macrumors member

AppleWarrior

I tried it and I think the grip is fine, but I could't tell much difference between it and my matte black, to be honest. Of course, I have never understood the slippery thing anyway. Maybe it is a skin issue? I have never had a "slippery" iPhone.

Anyway, the Jet Black is pretty, but the Matte Black is sick, man. I love the look. If they don't keep this color option for future iPhones, I will be disappointed. I would buy a Macbook, iMac, and iPad in this color in a heartbeat if the released it. Awesome look.

17. penajmz macrumors 68030

penajmz

I have matte but have heard the jet black has more gripability which is surprising

18. HarryWild macrumors 6502a

HarryWild

19. jdsmitty10 macrumors member

I hear ya on the matte black. Sharpest looking I think as well. Only problem was for me I wanted a white front this time which I'm loving. It's nice we have so many options. The wife's is looking sick in rose gold with the clear/glitter speck case on it.

20. rsbacon macrumors member

rsbacon

Both blacks look sharp in person, but the jet black definitely has more 'gripability'

21. now i see it, Sep 18, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2016
  22. jr866gooner macrumors 65816

jr866gooner

I'd like to see other colours too so yes upload the silver 7 pics please!

23. djstile macrumors regular

Just in case anyone is still wondering about this, I picked up an iPhone 7 Plus Jet Black on Saturday and (obviously IMO) there is no comparison between the two. The Jet Black is 1000 times easier to hold than the matte black.

24. Chumlee_ macrumors newbie

I heard the jetblack iPhone is "slippery when wet" joke aside I would throw on a case if you want to protect it

25. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

Beyond the camera bulge, the second reason I had to keep a case on my silver 6 was that it was so dang slippery.

I'm loving the jet black 7 so far, and feel no worries about it slipping out of my hand. I may eventually get a sleeve, but it's feeling good naked right now.