Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flur

macrumors 68020
Nov 12, 2012
Everything about Apple If they want to make services for my Home and Car, HELL NO. You can't even get an album added to a playlist properly. I'm still getting wrong directions in Maps. iTunes Match still matches 8/10 songs you have.

I don't understand the car thing at all. If Apple was nailing everything they did, then okay. But they're not. They need to limit their focus for a bit to things actually in their wheelhouse. AM (and Maps, and their operating software, and iTunes) could all be really great. Allocate resources, funding, and time to that.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
I'm misquoting but that time when Steve asked people what is MobileMe supposed to do, they responded and he shouted "well why the **** doesn't it do that?!"... I wonder if Tim Cook is capable of doing that.
The impression I have from things I've read about Cook seems like he could be worse than Jobs just without the shouting. But perhaps his focus needs to be more about Apple's products than gay rights and global warming.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
I don't understand the car thing at all. If Apple was nailing everything they did, then okay. But they're not. They need to limit their focus for a bit to things actually in their wheelhouse. AM (and Maps, and their operating software, and iTunes) could all be really great. Allocate resources, funding, and time to that.
Cook needs to hire a SVP that oversees Apple's cloud business. Poach someone from Google, Microsoft or Amazon. And Tim Cook needs to take Eddy Cue to the woodshed over Apple's services. Outside of Apple Pay nothing has really improved on his watch.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

dotnet

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
Sydney, Australia
I know Steve made mistakes too, but it seems like there were a lot fewer of them. Is that rose-colored memories

Yes, very rose-coloured, IMO. Steve Jobs had a couple of gigantic hits but apart from that we was Mr Problem all the way through. He was also given a lot more slack by the fans than Tim Cook, who, by all relevant measures is performing a lot better as a CEO.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
Everything about Apple feels tacked on these days. They are spread too thin. Trying to do everything and good at nothing. As evident from the last Keynote (which also felt tacked on and disjointed), I don't think Tim Cook has a good handle of his direct reports. He needs to pull in the reigns by quite a bit.

If they want to make services for my Home and Car, HELL NO. You can't even get an album added to a playlist properly. I'm still getting wrong directions in Maps. iTunes Match still matches 8/10 songs you have.
I thought 3/4 of the WWDC keynote was great. The music part was a train wreck. Apple has a real issue with services. It seems like when Cook did the reorg he threw everything that didn't neatly alight under software, hardware and design into one bucket under Eddy Cue. I don't think Eddy Cue is up to the task of everything on his plate right now. Cook needs to hire a SVP to run Apple's cloud services.

flur

macrumors 68020
Nov 12, 2012
Yes, very rose-coloured, IMO. Steve Jobs had a couple of gigantic hits but apart from that we was Mr Problem all the way through. He was also given a lot more slack by the fans than Tim Cook, who, by all relevant measures is performing a lot better as a CEO.

But didn't he turn the company around? I can't see him being that bad - iPod, iPhone, and iPad are all his.

FWIW, I didn't follow Apple when Steve was in charge, so I only have general public perception to go on.

dotnet

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
Sydney, Australia
But didn't he turn the company around? I can't see him being that bad - iPod, iPhone, and iPad are all his.

Yes, he did turn it around with the iMac, and later the iPod. He also ran out of success after his initial hit, the Apple II. Not even mentioning the Apple III and the Lisa, the Mac never became the success Apple needed at the time in order to compete with the emerging PC (in today's lingo – cf. the Apple Watch flop threads – you would call it a megaflop).

I don't know a lot about (or put much credulity into) stock values, but it's interesting to observe that Apple's stock price is substantially more than double now than the highest peak with Jobs as CEO. In fact, under Cook it never dipped as low as the highest peak under Jobs.

As far as public opinion and brand value goes, it was Jobs who instigated the most tarnishing ventures (e.g. going thermonuclear against Android, which made Apple appear to be a litigation hungry patent bully to the general public). It was Cook who turned Apple into a (believable) crusader for renewable energy, equal opportunity, privacy issues – all of which much more important than some silly first world problems about a messed up music library.

Just saying...

Reactions: Supermallet

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Yes, he did turn it around with the iMac, and later the iPod. He also ran out of success after his initial hit, the Apple II. Not even mentioning the Apple III and the Lisa, the Mac never became the success Apple needed at the time in order to compete with the emerging PC (in today's lingo – cf. the Apple Watch flop threads – you would call it a megaflop).

I don't know a lot about (or put much credulity into) stock values, but it's interesting to observe that Apple's stock price is substantially more than double now than the highest peak with Jobs as CEO. In fact, under Cook it never dipped as low as the highest peak under Jobs.

As far as public opinion and brand value goes, it was Jobs who instigated the most tarnishing ventures (e.g. going thermonuclear against Android, which made Apple appear to be a litigation hungry patent bully to the general public). It was Cook who turned Apple into a (believable) crusader for renewable energy, equal opportunity, privacy issues – all of which much more important than some silly first world problems about a messed up music library.

Just saying...

And all that can go away if it's users continue to be displeased with silly first world problems about a messed up music library. Apple can do all of that because it knew how to please it's users and thus raked in the cash. But as you can see from the forums, this hasn't been the case in quite some time.

Just saying...

Supermallet

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2014
I think the fact that AM is such a high profile service means that Apple will start to look at Match and iCloud Library and work on fixing those services. The last thing Apple wants is a service that actually pushes people into the arms of a competitor.

That being said, because I wanted to use iTunes Match, I switched back to Spotify yesterday.

navaira

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Amsterdam, Netherlands
It was Cook who turned Apple into a (believable) crusader for renewable energy, equal opportunity, privacy issues – all of which much more important than some silly first world problems about a messed up music library.
I'm all for renewable energy and equal opportunity but I honestly can't imagine anyone who would say "Oh dear! I lost 4,700 songs and the rest has scrambled art and metadata, my purchased files now have DRM and I can't sync anything! Oh, but Apple works really hard at being green and open to social issues, so I'm going to pay for Apple Music anyway."

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
All this romance for Steve Jobs....... news flash - he's gone. Tim Cook and his SVPs need to better manage their products and services for sure. But thinking Steve still on the job (no pun intended) would be so different is just opinions. Lets deal with reality.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
i switched back to Spotify. i have two apple ids and everytime i switched ids it got rid of all my offline music. redic

No offense but I would consider that user error: Apple devices aren't designed to be used on multiple Apple IDs by one user.

tomekosiowy

macrumors regular
Dec 7, 2013
Poland
I'm done too. After (near) 1 month of trying to use the new Music app and to sync devices, I have disabled Apple Music and iCloud Music Library. It is easier now. Music I really like, i just buy on iTunes Store. I do not need Radio, which is not "a radio" in fact.

They plan to run Apple Music also for Android. Buahahahah! No comment.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
Well obviously Jim's piece hit a nerve at Apple as he was summoned there get his issues resolved. He says he's got most of his songs back. But he still doesn't sound very happy and does not say he's changed his mind and is going to stick with Apple Music. What he describes is so mind bogglingly confusing it makes my head hurt. Of course 99.9% don't have the access Jim does so I guess they're screwed until this is fixed by Apple? And is the fix just happening or will it come with iOS 9? It would be nice if there was some communication on this from Apple.

http://www.loopinsight.com/2015/07/24/i-got-my-music-back-at-least-most-of-it/

Apple said my music was never deleted and that it was in the cloud the entire time. Before Apple Music, iTunes Match would show me all of my songs—matched, uploaded, and purchased. However, if you turn off iCloud Music Library and Apple Music, iTunes Match will only show your purchased content now. There is no way to separate iTunes Match from the iCloud Music Library. Before, you would turn off iTunes Match—now you would turn off iCloud Music Library.

So now I have the iTunes Match service that I pay for separately, and Apple Music, both of which use iCloud Music Library. There is really no way to get away from them if you want to use the latest and greatest from Apple.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

bjjp2

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2005
Well obviously Jim's piece hit a nerve at Apple as he was summoned there get his issues resolved. He says he's got most of his songs back. But he still doesn't sound very happy and does not say he's changed his mind and is going to stick with Apple Music. What he describes is so mind bogglingly confusing it makes my head hurt. Of course 99.9% don't have the access Jim does so I guess they're screwed until this is fixed by Apple? And is the fix just happening or will it come with iOS 9? It would be nice if there was some communication on this from Apple.

http://www.loopinsight.com/2015/07/24/i-got-my-music-back-at-least-most-of-it/

Best part of article: "The missing and duplicate song issues that we’ve all seen in Apple Music are being fixed shortly. They are certainly aware of what’s been going on, I can assure you."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.