Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Audience members at the taping of Wednesday night's The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon episode were treated to an early Christmas present in the form of a free iPad Air 2 for each person.

Screenshot-41-800x383.png

"I'm in the spirit of giving," Fallon remarked before revealing the giveaway in last night's version of the "Tonight Show Stocking Stuffers" segment Fallon has been running all week. On Monday, Fallon gave away Bose Soundlink Mini-Bluetooth Speakers, and Tuesday saw the gifting of a Vitamix S30 personal blender.

Fallon is known to be an avid fan of tech and gaming and Apple in particular, repeatedly commenting on big releases of Apple products like the iPhone 6 Plus and Apple Watch. The talk show host has also partnered with good friend Justin Timberlake to voice a handful of ads focusing on the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus.

Article Link: Jimmy Fallon Gives Each 'The Tonight Show' Audience Member a Free iPad Air 2

hlfway2anywhere

Cancelled
Jul 15, 2006
Audience members at the taping of Wednesday night's The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon episode were treated to an early Christmas present in the form of a free iPad Air 2 for each member of the studio audience.

Looks like audience members got iPads, and so did the members of the audience!

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
I guess he got given them by apple for work he did on the adverts. Like when people get sent loads of trainers/sneakers. He ran out of friends to give them to do gave them to his audience.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
Thats a sweet gift for a free show !!!
I bet its the 16gb wifi ipad, but still that is some sweet gift.

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Thats a sweet gift for a free show !!!
I bet its the 16gb wifi ipad, but still that is some sweet gift.

Was thinking the exact same thing. I would just give it away to someone else on christmas. There is no way I could live on a 16GB iPad. This was a kind gesture nonetheless, a $500 tablet is still a $500 tablet.

Steve.V

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2014
So many people are acting like he did this out of the goodness of his heart. It's publicity! Interestingly, Ellen gave out Beats headphones to the studio audience on Conan a couple of days ago.

ikramerica

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2009
Should read: "Apple gives IPad Air 2 16GB crippled model to Fallon audience." This after giving free beats headphones to Conan's audience by way of an Ellen cameo gag.

The hosts have little to do with the giveaway other than approving the product, so it's hardly generous of them.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Better than that stupid bag Apple gave to its employees.

Right! How many millions does NBC and Fallon make that they ONLY gave away a $500 gift. seriously! I would walk right out of the audience if I got that! its insulting! Each person should have gotten at LEAST $10,000!!!!

/s

ttss6

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2014
California
You get an iPad! You get an iPad! You all get an ipad!! Oh wait... Oprah actually did this 4 years ago. Meh second best mass giveaway after the famous car one

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
Looks like audience members got iPads, and so did the members of the audience!

another error on MR.. What else is new.

----------

You get an iPad! You get an iPad! You all get an ipad!! Oh wait... Oprah actually did this 4 years ago. Meh second best mass giveaway after the famous car one

sucks everyone had to pay taxes on it. I wonder if they had the option to get cash instead.

andodre

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2014
Should read: "Apple gives IPad Air 2 16GB crippled model to Fallon audience." This after giving free beats headphones to Conan's audience by way of an Ellen cameo gag.

The hosts have little to do with the giveaway other than approving the product, so it's hardly generous of them.

I was a member of the audience. It is a 32GB.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
So many people are acting like he did this out of the goodness of his heart. It's publicity!

Could easily be part of an Apple ad campaign.

Consider this (from "Variety" - specifically talking about the cost of running an ad during Fallon's show here):

The cost of running a 30-second spot on any of the broadcast-network late-night programs has in recent years hovered around $50,000, according to ad buyers.

So if Apple were to supply 200 iPads at a cost price of $300 each, that makes a total cost of $60,000. Not much more than running a conventional 30 second ad during the program.

When you factor-in that the Fallon "giveaway" will occupy more than 30 seconds of airtime and viewers are MUCH more likely to watch it (because it's part to the program and not an "ad" to be skipped) the $60,000 looks like a bargain.

Apple gets brand exposure. Fallon's show gets media buzz. Everybody wins.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.