Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

parseckadet

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 13, 2010
Denver, CO
What gives with Joanna Stern? She will find even the smallest negative and blow it out of proportion.

From her review video:
The real bummer, the new phone is slightly heavier. Three marshmallows heavier.

Seriously?! Does she realize how ridiculous this sounds?

She then goes on to describe every new feature in the 6S and focuses on any negative aspect it might have, no matter how slight. On the camera she spent more time talking about how much more space the photos will take up, but of course failed to put that into context by not pointing out that photos from other phones will take up even more space.

On 3D touch she got some random dude in Times Square to say "I wish that you could touch the screen a bit harder." She then says:
Yeah, I made him say that. Out of the hundreds of people I've spoken to this week, none have said that.

The entire review paints the new features as unimpressive and insignificant, and that the only thing that matters is battery life. I get that more battery would be nice, but dismissing everything else is doing her readers a major disservice.

She clearly is missing the point on all of this stuff. She's had an anti-Apple bias ever since her days at Engadget, and I don't understand why Apple keeps sending her review units. There are other columnists at The Wall Street Journal that have demonstrated that they are perfectly capable of providing unbiased reviews.

Reactions: ShiggyMiyamoto

DoofenshmirtzEI

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
Because a ridiculously picky review can be just as good (if not better) than a glowing review.

"Three marshmallows? Really? That's all?"

Reactions: urkel

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
She clearly is missing the point on all of this stuff. She's had an anti-Apple bias ever since her days at Engadget, and I don't understand why Apple keeps sending her review units.

She has her own view... She's coming from a perspective of how she views the iPhone.

And I don't know if she's anti-Apple.. I remember she was one of the people who Microsoft chose to try the Surface at one of the Microsoft event. She was using a Mac at the time... And I think she has an iPhone as a daily driver.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
What gives with Joanna Stern? She will find even the smallest negative and blow it out of proportion.

From her review video:

Seriously?! Does she realize how ridiculous this sounds?

She then goes on to describe every new feature in the 6S and focuses on any negative aspect it might have, no matter how slight. On the camera she spent more time talking about how much more space the photos will take up, but of course failed to put that into context by not pointing out that photos from other phones will take up even more space.

On 3D touch she got some random dude in Times Square to say "I wish that you could touch the screen a bit harder." She then says:

The entire review paints the new features as unimpressive and insignificant, and that the only thing that matters is battery life. I get that more battery would be nice, but dismissing everything else is doing her readers a major disservice.

She clearly is missing the point on all of this stuff. She's had an anti-Apple bias ever since her days at Engadget, and I don't understand why Apple keeps sending her review units. There are other columnists at The Wall Street Journal that have demonstrated that they are perfectly capable of providing unbiased reviews.
Link?

Reactions: Cuechick

ZombiePete

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
San Antonio, TX
I read her review and, while it wasn't glowing or anything, it wasn't overtly negative and didn't outright attack Apple or anything. I think you're being too defensive, maybe; on some issues, like the 16GB storage on the entry model, she's pretty in-line with what the rest of the industry is saying.

She's there to tell her readers the pros and cons of the phone so they can decide whether to buy it or not, not to be a marketing person for Apple. Can't blame her for sharing her honest opinions with her typically-Stern humor/snarkiness.

Reactions: koigirl and Broadus

metsjetsfan

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2011
wow people keep saying lots of sites are only pro apple then they get one that is not and they're not happy. cant win.
its her opinion, gotta respect it but we can all disagree.

dilutedq

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
I'm not even sure why you are anyone would care if she dislikes it. IF she may or may not be "anti-apple" who cares. Why are you taking exception to it? How does it have impact on your daily life? You aren't part of some team, enjoy your phone and move on.

Reactions: brand

cdd543

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2006
Denver
Hah wow it was intended to be tongue in cheek. She's wearing an apple watch and carries an iphone 6 as mentioned earlier. She even says it's the best iphone ever.

Reactions: ultravisitor

Suspended
Sep 15, 2012
Who cares? If you don't like the review, move on. If it was an intentional move to get some fanboys worked up, obviously it worked.

ultravisitor

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2015
Chicago, IL
I have never thought that Joanna Stern has come off as anti-Apple. If anything, she's always seemed like an Apple fan.

The marshmallow comment was clearly meant to be funny and to show that the weight gain is not a big deal.

Reactions: arn

southflguy

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2012
Personally it doesn't sway me one way or the other. I'm an unapologetic Apple/Mac Addict since 1984. You have to judge for yourself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.