Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

themoonisdown09

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 19, 2007
Georgia, USA
So, Joaquin Phoenix was just on the Late Show with David Letterman. I think that has to be the most awkward interview I've ever seen. He was obviously high out of his mind.

I was wondering if anybody else watched this. To be honest, it was really funny, but it made me feel uncomfortable.

reggie23x

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2008
Joaquin Phoenix on Letterman....fun stuff

I think it was hilarious and a great prequel interview to bar rafaeli. I think Dave Letterman can be a little off himself, but JP was kind of out of it. After awhile, DL was having to think quick and find ways to keep things moving, unfortunately at the expense of a high or stoned JP.

mgguy

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2006
Too bad. Joaquin is a great talent. His performance as Johnny Cash in Walk the Line was outrageous. I hope he can keep it together.

DaReal_Dionysus

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2009
He seems to be a head case. Hopefully he's not headed down the drug path. That would be such a waste. he was awesome in gladiator.

byocrysis

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2007
San Luis Obispo, CA
I just recently saw Phoenix at a club at my hotel in Las Vegas. Dude looked like a freaking homeless person. Then the kicker, he got on stage and started rapping. Suffice it to say he should go back to acting. Signs sucked, but I'll forgive him for Walk the Line and Gladiator. Oh and while he was rapping at the club he got so into it that he flew off the stage...and did not crowd surf...bam! Was definitely not what I expected to see when I saw Joaquine Phoenix. :confused:

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
You can't describe Phoenix as being "a little off". He was completely ****ed, perhaps drugged up. I doubt he was drunk. He couldn't stop shaking and fidgeting in his seat, and he kept rotating his head, but not in a drunk way.

I laughed my ass off, but only due to the awkwardness that Dave obviously felt. Dave's a good interviewer, and I'm glad he could get a laugh out of it for the sake of the audience, even if it was a move of desperation.

me_94501

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2003
I just watch it. That was, um, wow. :eek: Yeah, he's gotta be on something there.

lostfan916

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2007
NorCal
When I watched it on tv I thought this can't be real, he must be joking or something. Apparently some comments say that it IS a joke, some documentary or something.

Either way, it was hilarious.

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
That was just an act…
"Can you tell us about your days with the Unabomber…?"
You can see he almost loses his "pose" and starts to laugh.

Weird though.

If it isn't an act… jeeezus!

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
What possible reason could there be for this act?

Because it's funny, in a strange sort of way? It will be remembered, that's for sure.

Dunno but he didn't seem completely off his tits because he certainly wasn't oblivious to what was going on, more like he was being purposely obtuse.

RED™

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2008
Near German Black Forest
That's hilarious, it MUST have been a joke.

Sadly I did not catch the last seconds because the YT clip was cut after he took off hi glasses.

"I'm sad you could not be here tonight", that one was great :D

teflon

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2007
It seems like it's a joke because it is such an extreme transformation from who he used to be. It could just be a publicity stunt, something interesting to put on his resume, a change in image etc.
However, if he's serious, I hope he gets help. He seems to be spiraling out of control mentally.

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
It seems like it's a joke because it is such an extreme transformation from who he used to be. It could just be a publicity stunt, something interesting to put on his resume, a change in image etc.
However, if he's serious, I hope he gets help. He seems to be spiraling out of control mentally.

You can't decide something like that from a 10 minute interview where he may or may not have been putting people on and or just having a bad day.

teflon

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2007
You can't decide something like that from a 10 minute interview where he may or may not have been putting people on and or just having a bad day.

It's not just this video, but other recent videos/interviews of him, his "performance" in Vegas, that make it seem like he's either going crazy, or putting those Academy Award nominated acting chops to use.
Of course I'm no doctor, and he could just be going through a phase, but considering his family history, his trouble with alcoholism, mental illness is a possible factor if he is indeed not acting.

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
It's not just this video, but other recent videos/interviews of him, his "performance" in Vegas, that make it seem like he's either going crazy, or putting those Academy Award nominated acting chops to use.

Oh, I didn't know about that. Well celebs are certainly prone to being eccentric and quirky. I just didn't want to jump to conclusions about his mental state based on solely on the David Letterman interview. Who really knows.

themoonisdown09

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 19, 2007
Georgia, USA
Let's not forget about the interview on the red carpet for the premier of Walk The Line:

Joaquin: "Do I have a large frog in my hair?"
Reporter: "No, no."
Joaquin: "Something's crawling out of my scalp."
Reporter: "No, you look great."
Joaquin: "No, but I feel it. I'm not worried about the looks. I'm worried about the sensation of my brain being eaten. ... What did you ask me?"

I was dying laughing after I saw that!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.